More on TSA and cameras

We have Global Entry so are good to go. I hope this isn't a trend in that direction though. I'll do what is needed as long as I can carry my gear on the plane. It would be a game changer for our travel if we can't carry it on someday. Pretty difficult since we live in Alaska and have to fly to get out of here. We'd be resigned to Alaska B2Bs which wouldn't be such a bad thing. :)

Honestly I can understand this. I've seen my Maxpedition shoulder bag (man purse lol) on the x-ray - with the extra batteries, cords, charger, etc - it's gotta be a nightmare to scan for safety. Gratefully, I guess I don't travel enough that I will see this as a hassle. I try to keep the attitude that it's for the greater good - most times the agents pick up on that and appreciate one less person questioning the rules - most times...

If the TSA clowns would just treat my gear with a bit of respect life would be a lot easier. It was tiresome trying to stop them from the front element of a 400mm 2.8 with a piece of clothe head in metal clip.....or tossing around 1D Mark what ever bodies like they were sponges......I guess I am lucky that in all my years of working and traveling I only had them break something once and that took a year to get my repair claim paid.

If I read and understand the new policy correctly, larger electronic devices (like cameras) are only x-rayed like laptops are now. The point of putting cameras in bins separate from other items is so the x-ray can get a clear image. This is how they are working to eliminate hand checking - like would happen when a camera is left in a bag with numerous other items, making it difficult to interpret the x-ray image - and creating a hand-check situation.

Shootr, I get what they are trying to do and i respect it. My dad was a PhD chemist who spend many years working on anti-terror projects BUT, I have seen too many TSA agents treat expensive gear like it was a bunch of bananas. For now this new program does not effect pre-check folks so I am glad that I am in that program and I am glad I am retired and now only travel with about $7,000 worth of gear.

Mods, can we please close this out. It was supposed to be an informative, helpful discussion for our friends who cruise and fly with cameras. It has turned into something I really do not like and will not particpate in. TTFN

Mods, can we please close this out. It was supposed to be an informative, helpful discussion for our friends who cruise and fly with cameras. It has turned into something I really do not like and will not particpate in. TTFN

No reason to close this out. If you don't like it or the way that it has turned then ignore it. The only thing that I can see that is the slightest off point is the gif.

DIsagreement with a posted opinion is not a reason to close out a thread. Shootr's post was sarcastic but no more so than an eyeroll emoji. Well, maybe a little... :)

Information was given. Additional info regarding TSA PRE and Global Entry was added. Informative.

Opinions and concerns on the treatment of equipment are part of the discussion. Shutting (or shouting) down discussion because you disagree seems to be in fashion these days but simple courtesy is the better answer, not censoring alternate opinions. If disagreement with your concerns made you uncomfortable, then your Ta Ta For Now was the proper response. If you don't want to participate in further discussion, just don't. If others do, they can.

Dave

I have been taking out my tablet and other electrical equipment for years, my main concern is if the tray goes through the machine before I do and someone walks away with my stuff.

It's not an issue if you are prepared, it's the people who are staring vacantly in to space and then act all confused when they get to security and told to take out there liquids, belts, shoes etc. That hold up the lines. Like these rules haven't been in place for 15 years that get me.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I have been taking out my tablet and other electrical equipment for years, my main concern is if the tray goes through the machine before I do and someone walks away with my stuff.

This why my Wife always goes through before me, then she stands watching my stuff come out of the machine.

And, I have always placed my camera bag in a bin by its self which makes it easy for her to watch.

Bob

This why my Wife always goes through before me, then she stands watching my stuff come out of the machine.

And, I have always placed my camera bag in a bin by its self which makes it easy for her to watch.

Bob

I do the same thing. I knew there was a reason I got married...

framer

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/26/tsa-requires-separate-screening-cameras-airports-now/

I guess I will find out more on August 15 when I fly back to NJ........glad I have TSA Pre now and glad I only travel with one body now that retirement is here.

I saw the writing on the wall and signed up for TSA Pre just for this reason....

But come on...Wouldn't it be kinda fun....Unpack the Pelican 1510 and the computer bag into individual bins....It would be a "photography train" going through the scanner.

Primary body

Backup body

Lens

Lens

Lens

Lens

Point and Shoot

GoPro

Karma Grip

Flash

Flash

Laptop

External HD

Backup HD

Choo-Choo!!

I am making this post in Jest.

Mark

Talking to a TSA person, they MIGHT be modifying the policy to allow a tray to come through with camera gear as long as the tray is x-ray transparent (the current process is SLOW). That means at least in a Pelican box you might be able to frame the contents to pull out in one batch. (Still lots of theft risk and would have to fit into the opening). Alternately, people with large amounts of gear may be pulled aside for private screening.

• 5 weeks later...

I just came back Saturday from a Alaska land tour/cruise. Flew from Knoxville to Chicago then Ancorage. Back from Vancouver - Chicago - Knoxville. I have pre check and was told not to take anything out of my bags going thru security in Knoxville, when my bag went thru with a DSLR, 3 lenses, Point and Shoot, 2 Gopros, Usb Battery pack, chargers, tablet, laptop and phone they pulled my bag aside and asked to see the laptop, showed it to him and he said have a good trip. Coming back in Vancouver, before going thru he asked if I had a laptop and he then said put it in a tray and leave leave everything else in the backpack. They didn't even give it a second look.

I was expecting to have to pull everything out and a big hassle but it was over in a few seconds.

I'll second the report of "no big deal". Both cameras, three exra lenses including the 70-200 f/2.8, batteries, tablet, backup power brick for electronics and a laptop. Pre on one leg no Pre on the return. Laptop out for both and no hassles on the camera gear at all.

Now that I'm relaxed, I'm sure it will all change!

Dave

All you would have to unpack is the camera bodies and flashes I assume, as they state in the article, "The TSA just announced that all electronics larger than a cell phone need to be placed into a bin for separate screening."

My last few flights recently, the only lens they seemed concerned about at all checkpoints was the 150-500 I brought along. The seemed only to zero in on the lens only, nothing else.

When I flew out of BOS a couple weeks ago, I have to remove my camera body but the TSA guy said I didn't have to remove anything else (I asked). However, like all things TSA, I would imagine it's ultimately up to the individual agent what they feel should be removed for separate screening.

Here's my TSA experience this week on a round trip flight from Orlando International (MCO) to Lexington, KY (LEX). I went thru TSA security with a Lowepro backpack containing a DSLR with lens, a four-pack battery holder with four batteries, and a tablet plus various charging devices and cables.

I'm TSA Pre-checked and never had to remove anything from the backpack. TSA agents asked if I was carrying a laptop and I replied no. After I said no I was worried the tablet might be considered a laptop, but the TSA screeners didn't say anything about it after screening. The only concern TSA had with me was if I could pass thru a metal detector without setting it off due to metal knee or hip replacements.