Taking the plunge

new_cruiser

I wanted to try a trans-ocean cruise and my husband isn't interested in one. It seemed like a good way to relax and unwind, celebrating my retirement after more than 40 years of working at a job that can be high pressure at times.

I've traveled on my own on business quite a lot and sometimes on vacation. My husband enjoys trips when he's on them but he's not as interested in traveling as I am so I've often gone on my own. So I'm pretty used to traveling on my own. So I'm not timid about traveling solo. But, my vacations to date have been pretty "Type A" so this is going to be a big change.

All my prior cruises have been 7 or 8 days and, except for the one this last summer, had 1 sea day and port visits all the other days. And the port days were mostly full days in port. We went to Alaska in August so that cruise had one sea day and two "glacier days".

The ocean crossing has 9 sea days (or maybe 10 - it says it is 13 days but one of the days says "Crossing the International Date line" and we are going East so we'll have that day twice). I'm doing this as a back to back with an Alaska cruise so it will be 27 days in all.

I'm looking forward to it, but a bit concerned too that I might find I'm not into having that many sea days. I am planning on bringing some needlepoint along.

The ship capacity is 200, so it's not a large ship. That's one of the attractions of the Alaska part of the trip as it can go places the big ships can't like one day will be cruising Misty Fjord. It is spacious for the number of people it carries with large suites and plenty of public space.

As long as you don't have to be doing something every moment you should be fine. I always bring books and needlework with me but sometimes I like to just stare at the ocean. I love sea days so much I could happily do a cruise to nowhere if they still had them.:D

Sounds like an awesome trip to me:D....what cruiseline?

Windstar.

When I was searching for ocean crossing posts on the Windstar board, I saw one from you in spring time where you were thinking about a Windstar crossing to celebrate your 60th. Some recommended a bigger ship with more activities and you also thought about a Panama Canal transit. Did you decide what you wanted to do?

Windstar.

When I was searching for ocean crossing posts on the Windstar board, I saw one from you in spring time where you were thinking about a Windstar crossing to celebrate your 60th. Some recommended a bigger ship with more activities and you also thought about a Panama Canal transit. Did you decide what you wanted to do?

Hi:)..nope, I have been researching quite a few different things........and then Hurricane Irma came:eek: so this stuff got

put on the back burner........thankfully no issues with me or my home:)....but it was stressful........

I can now start to do more research......I have a few things in mind.......just can't decide on "THE ONE";)

Lois, glad to hear that you got through Irma OK. I was wondering if you had home damage from the surge or had to evacuate, so its good to know that you came through the hurricane OK. Neil

Hi Neil, thanks for thinking of me:)