Thompson Dream Q's

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:35 AM.
#1
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Hi there! Cruise newbie here. My partner and I have booked the Dream for the Canary Islands leaving on February 9th.

Just a few questions as our TA confused me. We are completely 5am inclusive in an outside plus cabin, is the mini bar free? I don't believe it is but my partner is adamant it is.

Is there free Wi-Fi? The tv any good?

I'm gluten free so worried about the food choices but I have been assured everything is great.

Any hints and tips for a cruise are greatfully received especially those to reduce luggage weight as I'm notoriously bad for over packing lol

Many thanks!
#2
Tayside
783 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Unfortunately neither the mini bar or the wifi are free! There is payable wifi, £49 per week, but I believe it is not very good. There is usually free wifi in the port terminals or in local cafe or bars if you buy a drink.

The tv has Sky News, Sky Sports News, a film channel, one showing the Thomson excursions etc.

I have read on fb groups that they cater well for gluten free. It is best to speak to the catering manager about your requirements soon after boarding. The waiters in the main dining room usually ask if you have any special requirements or food allergies. Gluten free dishes are labelled in the buffets.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about reducing luggage weight but we have found that the 'it' extra light cases help!

You will love the Dream! We're going on our 6th cruise on her soon.



Sent from my iPad using Forums
#3
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Sheila49
Unfortunately neither the mini bar or the wifi are free! There is payable wifi, £49 per week, but I believe it is not very good. There is usually free wifi in the port terminals or in local cafe or bars if you buy a drink.

The tv has Sky News, Sky Sports News, a film channel, one showing the Thomson excursions etc.

I have read on fb groups that they cater well for gluten free. It is best to speak to the catering manager about your requirements soon after boarding. The waiters in the main dining room usually ask if you have any special requirements or food allergies. Gluten free dishes are labelled in the buffets.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about reducing luggage weight but we have found that the 'it' extra light cases help!

You will love the Dream! We're going on our 6th cruise on her soon.



Sent from my iPad using Forums
£49 isn't too bad really. Just don't want the roaming charges from O2

Thank your for the info on speaking with the catering manager, it can be a nightmare and I don't want to be ill on our trip.

We've book the buggie excursion in Lanzarote and the cable car in Madeira. Any hints and tips? What's the dress code like at dinner?

Thank You!
#4
Tayside
783 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Sorry we've not done the Canaries on a cruise, just the Med.

The dress code is fairly relaxed, Just smart casual and long trousers for the men. Shorts are ok in the buffets. On Captain's night lots of people dress up but it's not compulsory. My husband just wears a long sleeved shirt with tie and smart trousers but lots wear dinner jackets or kilts.





Sent from my iPad using Forums
#5
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Sheila49
Sorry we've not done the Canaries on a cruise, just the Med.

The dress code is fairly relaxed, Just smart casual and long trousers for the men. Shorts are ok in the buffets. On Captain's night lots of people dress up but it's not compulsory. My husband just wears a long sleeved shirt with tie and smart trousers but lots wear dinner jackets or kilts.





Sent from my iPad using Forums
Thank you
#6
Lancashire
340 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Enjoy your first cruise in February. Your itinerary is the first one we did and we are now infected with the cruising bug. It can be a little daunting doing a trip by yourselves at first but I think you will find it really easy in Madera and you could save yourselves a bit of money for a different trip. The cable car is so easy to get to and the basket ride down the hill is just a short walk from the top of the cable. Great fun. We also tried the hop on hop off bus and had a lovely trip with fantastic views of the island. For just 12 euros great value. My final tip or maybe my first tip would be to book a tour round Blandies. They are a old port/ Madera makers. We booked an afternoon tour with a English speaking guide. We have visited twice and enjoyed our day both times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#7
Andalucia, Southern Spain
2,073 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by k8ti
My final tip or maybe my first tip would be to book a tour round Blandies. They are a old port/ Madera makers. We booked an afternoon tour with a English speaking guide. We have visited twice and enjoyed our day both times.
We too have done the Blandeys trip twice (booking ourselves as independent visitors via https://www.blandyswinelodge.com/ ) and really enjoyed it/highly recommend it. Sadly, although Madeira is on our itinerary next month, we are in port on November 1st which is a holiday so the Wine Lodge is closed
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


October 2017 - Marella Discovery 2 (Colourful Coasts)
May 2017 - TUI Discovery 2 (Continental Coasts + Iberian Treasures)
October 2016 - Thomson Majesty (Catalan Promise)
June 2016 - Thomson Spirit (Iberian Treasures)
November 2015 - Thomson Dream (Spanish Escapes)
July 2015 - Thomson Dream (Mediterranean Medley)
November 2014 - Thomson Dream (Iberian Escapade)
April 2014 - Thomson Majesty (Spanish Sensations)
October 2013 - Thomson Dream (Treasures of the Mediterranean)
May 2012 - Thomson Dream (Mediterranean Medley)
#8
7 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Rach1987
£49 isn't too bad really. Just don't want the roaming charges from O2

Thank your for the info on speaking with the catering manager, it can be a nightmare and I don't want to be ill on our trip.

We've book the buggie excursion in Lanzarote and the cable car in Madeira. Any hints and tips? What's the dress code like at dinner?

Thank You!
There are no roaming charges in Europe anymore, its the same as using your phone in the UK.
#9
34 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Just a quick comment about packing, you may already know this but you don't need any towels, pool towels are provided along with the normal cabin ones.
Hope you enjoy it, we have been on the Dream a few times but off on the discovery for the 2nd time next year.
#10
9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by smithsheff
Just a quick comment about packing, you may already know this but you don't need any towels, pool towels are provided along with the normal cabin ones.
Hope you enjoy it, we have been on the Dream a few times but off on the discovery for the 2nd time next year.
I didn't know that so thank you

More room for clothes!

Btw do Thompson measure the size of cabin bags....mine 2cm too wide for their plane....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#11
Huddersfield
761 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
The Canaries may not be included in the new EU roaming charges as although Spanish is not classed as EU - check your O2 list of European countries I think Madeira may be included. Unless you are really desperate to have WIFI all the time I would just go ashore get a coffee or a beer and use their free WIFI Also make sure you are not using the ships satellite when calling or texting on board in port as this is expensive
Love Dream - enjoy
#12
West Mids
1,744 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by Rach1987
I didn't know that so thank you

More room for clothes!

Btw do Thompson measure the size of cabin bags....mine 2cm too wide for their plane....
Never known Thomson check the hand luggage cases other than for weight
Have a great cruise its a lovely ship.