Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 38

pierces

It's Halloween time! Well, at least it is at Magic Kingdom in Disney World:

original.jpg

The infamous Pirates of the Caribbean, who have been unfortunately locked up in this prison for about 44 years, and still think they can tempt the dog to give them the key:

original.jpg

Cinderella's castle with sun setting behind:

original.jpg

City Hall on Main Street, with some crazy post-storm skies at the tail end of dusk:

original.jpg

A great place to end the night...Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. This very small, semi-secret tiki hole sits in the Polynesian resort with minimal signage - just one small wooden door with a small plaque on it, which opens into a small tiki-themed bar with seating for about 50 people...very small considering it's Disney World and almost everything is designed for mega-crowds! But it keeps the place mega-popular and allows the theming to stay immersive and more personal for those who get in:

original.jpg

The drinks are all specialized tropical and tiki-style drinks - each with their own unique tiki glasses...and moreover, each drink has an entire routine that goes with it, acted out by the bar staff and in various special effects in sound, lighting, and animatronics. Most people are regulars and know the routines, so much of the guests in the bar play along or sing along with every theme. The drinks are expensive, and even more so if you want to collect the various glasses...but the performances that they put on and the entertainment of every drink order are worth it...it's not a surprise that this tiny hidden bar often has a line outside on any given night!

This week, our vacation featured another port-of-call visit to the city of San Francisco. We like to have lunch at Boudin but really had no desire to wander the big, dirty city in search of souvenir trinkets or visit high-priced retail stores in the shopping district. As a result, we did the Hop-on Hop-off bus tour again and rode it to the end down by the pier area for lunch. It offered me the chance to grab some shots of the city that I had missed and shoot familiar things with a different lens. The Golden Gate is probably one of the most photographed bridges in the world but the 8mm fisheye lens and the top level of the tourist bus gave me a different perspective.

Tourist

p2541544965-5.jpg

Dave

The infamous Pirates of the Caribbean, who have been unfortunately locked up in this prison for about 44 years, and still think they can tempt the dog to give them the key:

original.jpg

I'm sure that looks like me at work sometimes........

Dickie