Dinner suits

Unregistered, are you just back from your Thomson cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:38 AM.
essex uk and calabria italy
858 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Hi,do the men wear dinner suits on dress to impress nights?I don't want to pack one if not required,cheers,Brian.
Cheshire, UK
316 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Well I like to wear my DJ. The ladies like to dress up on such evenings and I think it only right that the gentlemen do too. It's part of the cruising experience for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Red Sea Magic 2008 Celebration
Eastern Med 2008 Spirit
Western Med 2008 Spirit
Red Sea Magic 2009 Celebration
Western Med 2009 Destiny
Red Sea Magic 2010 Celebration
Moorish Delights 2010 Destiny
Colourful Coasts 2011 Spirit
Mediterranean Medley 2011 Dream
Mediterranean Medley 2011 Dream
Caribbean Crossing 2011 Dream
Eastern Med 2012 Spirit
Colourful Coasts 2013 Majesty
Baltics 2013 Spirit
Canarian Flavours 2014 Celebration
Adriatic 2014 Ventura
Agean Gems 2015 Spirit

Mediterannean Sunset 2016 Celebration

Timeless Europe 2017 Celebration
Teignmouth
318 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
For the last two cruises on Discovery I have taken a dj, but I have seen many men in very smart jackets with complementing shirts.
I have now decided to follow that route, and have invested accordingly. I find I am using a dj less and less for non cruising functions as the trend for a more casual dress seems to be happening.
However, dress to impress does give a lot of scope and its a personal choice.
My own opinion is that you can appear over dressed, and more men aim for the relaxed but very smart approach.
Ladies often look beautiful in a more semi formal attire other than ball gowns etc.
After many P&O cruises with so many formal nights it's rather a relief to have the option of change. I have to say though that, after a while, on all the formal evenings, I thought there was an element of pretentiousness among the penguin colony.
Kent, England
6,224 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Some do, some wear dark suits, some wear jackets, some just a tie with their shirt. Evening casual is fine as well. no formal nights as such.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 3
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 8
P&O Arcadia