New York advice needed

Tickled Tink

My family of four just booked the Carnival Horizon for June 2018 out of Manhattan. This will be our first time cruising out of any port outside of Florida.

Here are some things about us -

We would like to attend a Mets game two days before departure so we need two to three nights hotel.

We are on a budget. The trip is a high school graduation present for our son. Hoping not to spend as much on hotel as the cruise is costing. We are okay wit New Jersey if we can get transportation to Citi Field and Manhattan easily enough.

We do not want to rent a car.

Lastly, and something I'm working on, I have a tendency to overpack and am already having nightmares about lugging our luggage on the subway.

Any advice anyone can provide regarding the best location to stay on a budget, which airport should we fly into, modes of transportation to sight see in the city and to Citi Field, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. In Miami and Port Canaveral we usually arrive around 10:30 or 11 with Faster to the Fun. Faster to the Fun is not available on the Horizon until December. If the cruise is scheduled to depart at 5pm, when is the best time to arrive. We depart on a Tuesday so we would like to avoid rush hour.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’d plan my flight to be close to the game, LGA is very close to Citi field (but JFK isn’t far). Fly in, get a room close by (make sure to read reviews, cheap hotels can = scary). Go to the game, get a good nights sleep, and then perhaps get a room the next night in Manhattan (if your budget allows).

My family of four just booked the Carnival Horizon for June 2018 out of Manhattan. This will be our first time cruising out of any port outside of Florida.

Here are some things about us -

We would like to attend a Mets game two days before departure so we need two to three nights hotel.

We are on a budget. The trip is a high school graduation present for our son. Hoping not to spend as much on hotel as the cruise is costing. We are okay wit New Jersey if we can get transportation to Citi Field and Manhattan easily enough.

We do not want to rent a car.

Lastly, and something I'm working on, I have a tendency to overpack and am already having nightmares about lugging our luggage on the subway.

Any advice anyone can provide regarding the best location to stay on a budget, which airport should we fly into, modes of transportation to sight see in the city and to Citi Field, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. In Miami and Port Canaveral we usually arrive around 10:30 or 11 with Faster to the Fun. Faster to the Fun is not available on the Horizon until December. If the cruise is scheduled to depart at 5pm, when is the best time to arrive. We depart on a Tuesday so we would like to avoid rush hour.

Thank you!!

What is the exact date you depart? How much are you realistically willing to spend on a hotel/night including taxes? Can you do 2 double beds for 4 people?

Flying into Newark airport and staying in a NJ hotel is one option. Flying into LA Guardia and staying in a Queens hotel could be another option. It all depends on the budget you have to work with.

What else do you want to see or do in NYC besides the Mets? Don't book flights until you have the basic plan budgeted out.

Thank you for the replies so far. We are departing June 5 on the cruise. We're hoping to keep the hotel under $200 per night but know that may be difficult. Besides my husband and I we have two teenage boys. Two queen beds would work much better than two double beds.

I can only give you advice for New Jersey. I have found you a great cancellable deal in Jersey City which I advise you to book now to have as a placeholder while you sort out your plans. The hotel is located 2-3 blocks from the Newport PATH station which has service to both midtown and downtown NY for $2.75/pp.

June 2-5, 2018

Doubletree Hotel - 4*+

The Long Weekender rate

King Jr Suite with queen sofa bed - 2 rooms

$595 tax included

June 1-5

$832

If you fly into EWR, you could take Uber for under $50 to the hotel. The major downside is that it's a hike to Citi Field. You would take PATH to 33rd St and walk north on Broadway to 42nd St to catch the #7 train to Queens.

To get to the port, you would also go to 33rd St and take a cab or Uber for about $15. PATH is totally accessible with luggage.

You shouldn't tie airport to the Met's game. Public transpiration to the game is easy and quick.

Bit more expensive but you could take New Jersey Transit to Penn Station and then Long Island Rail Road to the Mets game. You would have to change platform at Penn Station. Mets are on the Port Washington line.

Note no train tickets are sold at the Citi Field LIRR Stop.

As Carol said the 7 train is fast. They run a super express after the last out of the game back to Manhattan makes fewer stops then the normal 7 Express train.

What I forgot to say is that from PATH at 33rd St you really don't have to walk to 42nd St.(what was I thinking!). You can simply walk through the concourse and take any NY subway uptown N, Q, R, W train 1 stop to 42d St to transfer to the #7 train to Queens.

Here's a YouTube of the Jersey City Waterfront area so you can see how nice it is -

And here's a map of PATH so you can see where it goes in NY - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

You shouldn’t tie the Mets game to the airport but you if you are planning to stay in NJ EWR is best and if you are planning to stay in Queens LGA is better. I wouldn’t exactly say getting to NJ to Citifield is quick but it’s doable. Plus Carnival sails out of Manhattan. I think she should crunch the numbers for a Queens property also before making final decision

You shouldn’t tie the Mets game to the airport but you if you are planning to stay in NJ EWR is best and if you are planning to stay in Queens LGA is better. I wouldn’t exactly say getting to NJ to Citifield is quick but it’s doable. Plus Carnival sails out of Manhattan. I think she should crunch the numbers for a Queens property also before making final decision

You have to look at the big picture of all the expenses. If they stay at EWR they will pay $11.25-$13/pp each way for 4 people to go into Manhattan each day on the train. That adds up quickly and is very time consuming. That's why I suggested looking at the Doubletree in Jersey City where their transportation costs to get to either midtown or downtown are $2.75/pp each way plus the transit time is reduced dramatically. The EWR hotels aren't that cheap (they are looking for queen beds).

You have to look at the big picture of all the expenses. If they stay at EWR they will pay $11.25-$13/pp each way for 4 people to go into Manhattan each day on the train. That adds up quickly and is very time consuming. That's why I suggested looking at the Doubletree in Jersey City where their transportation costs to get to either midtown or downtown are $2.75/pp each way plus the transit time is reduced dramatically. The EWR hotels aren't that cheap (they are looking for queen beds).

I was just responding to airport comment. I didn’t mean EWR hotels. I just meant if you’re not going to stay in NJ, flying into EWR probably won’t be cost effective. Same as flying into LGA wouldn’t be cost effective if staying in NJ. Hope this clarifies my thinking.

I was just responding to airport comment. I didn’t mean EWR hotels. I just meant if you’re not going to stay in NJ, flying into EWR probably won’t be cost effective. Same as flying into LGA wouldn’t be cost effective if staying in NJ. Hope this clarifies my thinking.

Sorry - I misread your post. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm Mom to a Mets fanatic and we've gone to numerous games at Citi Field, one in conjunction with a cruise. My own preference would be to stay at a Manhattan hotel relatively close to Penn Station (NOT the Hotel Pennsylvania, though:eek:). That would allow you to be close to major subway stations to get aroud Manhattan for your sightseeing and be able to take the LIRR to Citi Field (station is Mets-Willetts Point). I prefer taking the LIRR to Citi Field rather than the #7, even though it costs more.

Not seeing anything close to OP's stated budget range worthy of endorsing or recommending, 1 of them is too far from the nearest subway station within the Long Island City area or even at nearby downtown Flushing, 1 subway stop from CitiField.

I see the La Quinta on Queens Blvd, 3 blocks from the #7 subway line station stop at 40th Street, it's 4 stops to East Side of Manhattan @ 59th St. & Lexington Ave and 8 or 9 stops to Times Square - and #7 Flushing, Main Street line is what most locals take to see the NY Mets. 2 Queens + hot b'fast @ $181 per room per night + taxes/fees. (same as 1 King w. sleeper sofa, microwave & coffee maker ... about $200 for 3 nights in total.)

La Quinta @ W. 32nd. Street is higher for 2 Queens - total @ about $765,