Day Of Cruise Arrival at EWR - Arrive 11:20AM - Crusie 3:00PM?

Empehi

Arrive on Saturday at EWR at 11:20AM for an Anthem of the Sea cruise leaving at 3:00PM

Is this to close of a call to make the cruise?

How would you recommend going to the port?

A little nervous.

Arrive on Saturday at EWR at 11:20AM for an Anthem of the Sea cruise leaving at 3:00PM

Is this to close of a call to make the cruise?

How would you recommend going to the port?

A little nervous.

If the flight's on time you can make the cruise, but what's your plan B? Where are you flying in from and what airline?

Any chance of doing carryon? I would be booking a large car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to be waiting to whisk me off to the port.

Flying from Chicago on Southwest. Would rather check but can do carry-on.

Why not recommend a cab??

Thanks

You could be tight on time. The car service is dedicated to getting you to the port and similar in price to a cab. The vehicle is likely to be a lot nicer.

Oh this is not good.

What will you do if the flight is cancelled or if the flight is delayed by a couple of hours.

It is tight to begin with.

You must be on board 90 minutes prior to embarkation and if anything goes wrong it will be a mess.

I highly recommend flying in the day before.

With Southwest you can change your flight without a penalty and either pay more or less depending on what the cost is on Friday.

Unless you are a big risk taker this is not a good idea.

Keith

Oh this is not good.

What will you do if the flight is cancelled or if the flight is delayed by a couple of hours.

It is tight to begin with.

You must be on board 90 minutes prior to embarkation and if anything goes wrong it will be a mess.

I highly recommend flying in the day before.

With Southwest you can change your flight without a penalty and either pay more or less depending on what the cost is on Friday.

Unless you are a big risk taker this is not a good idea.

Keith

I agree, this is way to risky and even with everything perfect it will stress you out. As pointed out you need to be at the ship by 1:30 so you have 2 hours to hope there are no gate delays. Then you will need to get luggage and finally transportation to port. Btw you better hope your driver knows how to get there. I just cruised from there and my Uber driver did not know the way from the Newark hotel to the port and finally he agreed to listen to me. This cost me 30 minutes extra. A short drive turned into a stressful event for me and I was already in Newark.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like you are looking at a late Nov or early Dec cruise. You can never tell about the weather at that time of year. If you fly in the day before, you can book the sleep cruise package through trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza for $175 tax included. This includes your room and round trip shuttle to Cape Liberty. I have used this package and was very happy. Booking transportation to and from the port separately will cost you at least $100+.

I agree with the suggestion to rebook your SW flight. If you miss the ship, you lose at least 2 days of your vacation, which is a lot if you're on a 7 day cruise.

OP's SouthWest used MDW (Midway Airport) out of Chicago and not ORD, and for typical Sat. flight ops - there aren't hourly scheduled between MDW and EWR (Newark) ... maybe s/he can switch to the earliest flight, leaving at 6 AM and arriving at 9 AM, a more comfortable margin in case of weather, mechanical/equipment issues, airport and/or crew staffing issues, etc.

The inbound flight should be out of LGA and landing MDW early morning, with 90 minutes at the gate for turnaround & servicing, maybe a crew change before airborne for EWR ,,, if everyone is running clockwork smooth, still very tight from taxiing to the gate, deplane & outside to AirTrain for making ground transportation connection to Cape Liberty, by a good driver without getting lost.

EWR Airport, as a whole, has the distinct honor of being among the worst for flight delays - although Saturday isn't known to be bad with fewest # of flights scheduled. Regardless, I would use mobile apps like Flightstat and FlightAware to keep track closely of the aircraft & airport statues on the day of travel ... although if the flight is held, the cruise will be in serious jeopardy >>> trip delay insurance "could" help but still, not good.

Thanks for all the information.

How about a flight that gets into LGA at 8:35AM on the day of the cruise.

This will be the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

How long to the Port and at what cost?

We have something to do Friday and any day before flight would be arriving very late Friday night.

Thanks for all the input.

Certainly it's better to arrive at 8:35 AM the morning of the cruise.

But you are coming from Chicago.

Snow?

And even without weather other things can go wrong.

All it takes is missing a cruise one time because your flight was cancelled or delayed as some have posted on this board before and I can guarantee you won't do this again.

Flights will be relatively full on Saturday so there is no backup Plan B.

I hope it goes well for you but I highly recommend against doing this.

Keith

Thanks for all the information.

How about a flight that gets into LGA at 8:35AM on the day of the cruise.

This will be the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

How long to the Port and at what cost?

We have something to do Friday and any day before flight would be arriving very late Friday night.

Thanks for all the input.

LGA is further than EWR and there could be a lot more traffic because it is in NY. Have you looked at Philly (PHL)? You could try gettin in at 7/8a then getting to the cruise terminal. However, it is much safer to fly in the night before and get a cheap motel.

Thanks all. It looks like I better fly in the night before. I guess I now need recommendations for close to EWR hotels with an efficient shuttle that will be operating at 10PM on Nov 24th. Cab or Uber from the hotel the next morning??

Thanks all. It looks like I better fly in the night before. I guess I now need recommendations for close to EWR hotels with an efficient shuttle that will be operating at 10PM on Nov 24th. Cab or Uber from the hotel the next morning??

I stayed in a Courtyard Marriott that provided a shuttle from the AP to the hotel every hour. You can take a cab or Uber to the port the next day.

I've stayed at the Newark Airport Marriott before, very nice hotel. They definitely have a shuttle and I believe it runs 24 hours but I'm not 100% sure.

How much are you willing to spend? The Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza is the best overall deal at $175 tax included for room and round trip port shuttle. Newark is not a vacation destination. The hotels cater to a transient population and are just that - airport hotels in a highly urban area.

You should know that for all EWR hotel shuttles you have to take the Airtrain to the P4 station to connect. Hotel shuttles will still be running at 10 pm, but how "efficient" they are for you is the luck of your timing.

You are finally starting to make sense - a flight from Chicago to New York in late November - allowing two hours for possible delays (a 3:00 sailing means a 1:30 boarding) was too silly to bother responding.

Flying from Chicago on Southwest. Would rather check but can do carry-on.

Why not recommend a cab??

Thanks

Newark is my Home airport and the cab lines can be very long. Which port are you going out of Bayonne, Red Hook or NYC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We ran into the same thing. This cruise leaves earlier than most so to reduce the stress level we are going in a day early, staying at the Hampton Inn by the airport. They have a shuttle to & from the airport. On the day of departure we will go back to baggage claim at the airport & snag a ride with the Royal Caribbean shuttle bus. We have done this before & it's worked great. Also flying Southwest into Newark. Booked a much later flight for the return, around 3:35 so no stress there.