Emergency Assistance Insurance Policy

nelblu

Been offered via United mileage membership emergency assistance insurance policy via the title namesake "Emergency Assistance." The annual premium is $189 seems very reasonable to cover both of us. No policy limits are illustrated, however, the description of what it covers is as follows:

Medical evacuation & transportation home,

Medical Assistance,

Assistance for companion, and

Travel assistance

I know in reading various threads on CC that some member have some sort of medical evacuation policies. Has anyone have any knowledge about this Co./program. I will probably call the listed tel. # to get add'l information.

Been offered via United mileage membership emergency assistance insurance policy via the title namesake "Emergency Assistance." The annual premium is $189 seems very reasonable to cover both of us. No policy limits are illustrated, however, the description of what it covers is as follows:

Medical evacuation & transportation home,

Medical Assistance,

Assistance for companion, and

Travel assistance

I know in reading various threads on CC that some member have some sort of medical evacuation policies. Has anyone have any knowledge about this Co./program. I will probably call the listed tel. # to get add'l information.

What do they mean by medical assistance? Is this coverage for Medical bills?

Seems high, but it's all age rated. I just bought a GeoBlue policy, which has preferred providers worldwide. If you use one you don't have to up front the $$$ and wait to get reimbursed.

I paid $390 for the higher coverage. But, they had a policy for $200 for lesser coverage.

Before you consider, ask questions.

1. In event of emergency what will they pay vs yourself

2. do they require payment up front then you get reimbursed by your Insurance.

3. get all the facts before agreeing.

I had a medical emergency with my husband last cruise, the medical assist Company, wanted $40,000 to $41,000 before pickup. Our Ship diverted to Newfoundland as we were to far out for a medivac. My husband had gotten the Travel Insurance without checking the upfront costs.. His own medical Insurance ended up bringing my husband home at no cost & no Co Pay, some 4300 + miles. after 9 days at the Hosp in ST Johns with full medical team. Sadly my husband passed away a week after getting home.

Before you consider, ask questions.

1. In event of emergency what will they pay vs yourself

2. do they require payment up front then you get reimbursed by your Insurance.

3. get all the facts before agreeing.

I had a medical emergency with my husband last cruise, the medical assist Company, wanted $40,000 to $41,000 before pickup. Our Ship diverted to Newfoundland as we were to far out for a medivac. My husband had gotten the Travel Insurance without checking the upfront costs.. His own medical Insurance ended up bringing my husband home at no cost & no Co Pay, some 4300 + miles. after 9 days at the Hosp in ST Johns with full medical team. Sadly my husband passed away a week after getting home.

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for some of the suggestions.

Your very welcome, what I experienced, I didn't want anyone else to go through what our daughter & I did. I have read several posts from others on getting Travel Insurance and the mistake I made, was not checking with the company on their policy. for that I blame myself. Being laid up outside the US, even though this was Canada, presented a very different medical experience with the hospital. # 1 they don't take Medicare which is our primary. The Hospital bill will be worked out between our Insurance and the Newfoundland Hospital but that 9 days was very depressing. Our daughter flew in from Col the following day after we were transferred.

On an added note, make sure if your husband that any & all papers ( Veterans, Survivors benefits to wife, who to contact ) are all labeled and stored where you can easily retrieve them. I put things in storage trays and labeled them.

Gay

1) Medicare does not pay ANY medical expenses outside the US. If you rely on Medicare, you REALLY need some form of travel insurance.

2) Check the limits. My Mother was med evaced from Halifax to Washington, DC, that was quoted at $29,000. The RCI insurance (what they had due to age/price) would only pay $25,000. But the air ambulance company accepted that as payment in full. Medical bills can be MUCH higher than you expect. Higher even than US billing rates. Canada seems to pay for their health care system by very high charges to tourists.

3) As has been mentioned, do they pay directly or do you have to pay first. And this may vary depending on country. Some countries, the medical care will be payment before release, no matter what your insurance normally does. So always have a high limit credit card with you.

4) Do they cover expenses and transport for companions? If you get off the ship and have a week's stay in a local hospital, there will be hotel, rental car/taxi, meals. Typically, one family member can travel on the med evac, but what about others? I had to disembark to help my Dad through the ordeal.

1) Medicare does not pay ANY medical expenses outside the US. If you rely on Medicare, you REALLY need some form of travel insurance.

2) Check the limits. My Mother was med evaced from Halifax to Washington, DC, that was quoted at $29,000. The RCI insurance (what they had due to age/price) would only pay $25,000. But the air ambulance company accepted that as payment in full. Medical bills can be MUCH higher than you expect. Higher even than US billing rates. Canada seems to pay for their health care system by very high charges to tourists.

3) As has been mentioned, do they pay directly or do you have to pay first. And this may vary depending on country. Some countries, the medical care will be payment before release, no matter what your insurance normally does. So always have a high limit credit card with you.

4) Do they cover expenses and transport for companions? If you get off the ship and have a week's stay in a local hospital, there will be hotel, rental car/taxi, meals. Typically, one family member can travel on the med evac, but what about others? I had to disembark to help my Dad through the ordeal.

On a side note, we have AARP/UHC supplemental plan that picks up the Medicare 80% of healthcare costs outside the US. However, we're still responsible for the remainder and don't know if they pick up any medical transport costs.

Your very welcome, what I experienced, I didn't want anyone else to go through what our daughter & I did. I have read several posts from others on getting Travel Insurance and the mistake I made, was not checking with the company on their policy. for that I blame myself. Being laid up outside the US, even though this was Canada, presented a very different medical experience with the hospital. # 1 they don't take Medicare which is our primary. The Hospital bill will be worked out between our Insurance and the Newfoundland Hospital but that 9 days was very depressing. Our daughter flew in from Col the following day after we were transferred.

On an added note, make sure if your husband that any & all papers ( Veterans, Survivors benefits to wife, who to contact ) are all labeled and stored where you can easily retrieve them. I put things in storage trays and labeled them.

Gay

So sorry for your loss and what you had to go through. Can you say which travel insurance policy you had so maybe nobody else has a surprise like this.

I don't know if they will allow the name on CC, but will see what happens. We have always had Good Sam for our RV Appliances and they were great, but their Travel Insurance wouldn't pay much of the total costs. I called them when I got home and the person I spoke with was surprised. perhaps are being in Canada had something to do with it vs the US and not being RV related. As I mentioned I fault myself for not checking into the Insurance my husband had called them on. The main point I wished to let everyone know, is make sure you get all the particulars on what a company will cover and how much you have to pay up front. Our United Health Care through ( Federal Plan from the Postal Service ) was our life line and they brought him home ( 4300 + miles at no cost to myself and without a Co Pay.

I have copies of all medical procdure & Costs from the Ship from Sept 6 until we were tendered to the Ambulance on September 7 into our Insurance in hopes they can assist me there. The bill for the Ship medical came to $12032,53 and it went right to my WF CC.

Gay

On a side note, we have AARP/UHC supplemental plan that picks up the Medicare 80% of healthcare costs outside the US. However, we're still responsible for the remainder and don't know if they pick up any medical transport costs.

It sounds like you have a Medicare Advantage Plan with United Healthcare and it does pay for emergency care worldwide. Most insurance plans do have a maximum out of pocket expense.

I have Coventry Medicare Advantage Plan and my maximum out of pocket is $5700. In most cases, for emergency care outside the U.S. you will have to pay the bill and file a claim with your insurance company.

On our last cruise we purchased the cruiseline insurance, plus we bought GeoBlu, annual policy. GeoBlu does add additional medical coverage, plus evacuation coverage.

We been on several transatlantic cruises. I've seen a helicopter evacuation in the Atlantic. I'd hate to have to pay that bill.

It sounds like you have a Medicare Advantage Plan with United Healthcare and it does pay for emergency care worldwide. Most insurance plans do have a maximum out of pocket expense.

I have Coventry Medicare Advantage Plan and my maximum out of pocket is $5700. In most cases' date=' for emergency care outside the U.S. you will have to pay the bill and file a claim with your insurance company.

On our last cruise we purchased the cruiseline insurance, plus we bought GeoBlu, annual policy. GeoBlu does add additional medical coverage, plus evacuation coverage.

We been on several transatlantic cruises. I've seen a helicopter evacuation in the Atlantic. I'd hate to have to pay that bill.[/quote']

Not an advantage plan. Supplemental plan "F" which presently costs me $212+ (discounted for AARP membership) per month in addition to my Medicare premium.

Our daughter who was with me over the 9 days in St Johns, got a price from GS on bringing him home of about $58,000, GS would only cover $17, something and I had to write a check out for close to $41,000. This is when our Insurance stepped in and said we had our own medivac Team and Dr's and would get him home. We should have contacted them when we booked the TA to see what they covered and it would have saved myself and daughter a lot of phone calls. We live & learn. Needless to say until I see what his Fed Retirement Check is and other income I should be receiving, future cruises are now on hold. The daughter & I do hope to do another cruise together.

Not an advantage plan. Supplemental plan "F" which presently costs me $212+ (discounted for AARP membership) per month in addition to my Medicare premium.

O.K. - I know what you're talking about. We used to have Plan F with Blue Cross and had to pay a monthly premium before we switched to a Medicare Advantage Plan. We pay NO extra premium per month for the Advantage Plan.

This is Off Topic and I'm not in insurance sales but a Medicare Advantage Plan is worth looking into. United Healthcare does offer one. You will just have to see what's available in your area. Some plans do have a monthly charge but not as much as what your presently paying.

We been on several transatlantic cruises. I've seen a helicopter evacuation in the Atlantic. I'd hate to have to pay that bill.

It probably varies by country but several, including the US Coast Guard, do not charge for rescue. Medical flights back to the US though, those can cost some big bucks especially if on the other side of the world.

In our case, the Coast guard advised the Capt of the Serenade that at the time of my husbands heart attack we were to far out from Halifax and advised them to head to Newfoundland. They also felt it would be safer for him to not go in the helicopter. What caused the greatest problem for my husband was the down time in getting a heart beat back. ( 26 Min ) I knew before we ever left the ship that the chances of him coming out of this was slim to none.

In our case, the Coast guard advised the Capt of the Serenade that at the time of my husbands heart attack we were to far out from Halifax and advised them to head to Newfoundland. They also felt it would be safer for him to not go in the helicopter. What caused the greatest problem for my husband was the down time in getting a heart beat back. ( 26 Min ) I knew before we ever left the ship that the chances of him coming out of this was slim to none.

26 minutes is a really long time to get a heart beat. Was CPR started immediately?

What also delayed things, was he for some reason he had locked the door when he went in, roughly a minute later I heard him go down, rushing to the door and finding it locked, I banged on it a couple times and called out to him then rushed to the phone. I would say the medical team arrived at the room, less then 2 minutes after the Alpha Call went out. Prior to their arriving, our Cabin Attendant upon hearing the call rushed to our cabin to unlock the bathroom door. CPR was started immediately upon dragging him out of the bathroom. I was called out of the room after the Supervisor for GR asked me to get our PP. I knew at 10 minutes he was in trouble when they hadn't obtained a heart beat. I had some 227 CC members on board so a huge support team throughout the evening and next day before we got to St Johns. My husband was never able to get off the ventilator yet what amazed the Dr's at ST Johns and our Hospital here in Palm Springs, was that the medical Dr on board and nurses had cooled him down. He had not complained about not feeling well and ate dinner that evening before we returned to our cabin briefly. He was 84 and 12 yrs older then myself.

Several staff members were with me during his receiving CPR. I am glad I was at least in the cabin when he had the attack to call for immediate help. Had it been during the day I might have returned to the cabin to late. I am also grateful he was on board and not touring Iceland as we had been 3 days earlier.

Gay

1) Medicare does not pay ANY medical expenses outside the US. If you rely on Medicare, you REALLY need some form of travel insurance

Not totally correct. Medicare will pay some out of country medical expenses. But the criteria is very limited.

I also have the AARP United Health Plan F and UHP will cover out of country what Medicare would have covered in country. What I like about Geo Blu is they have PPO's all over the world and if you use one you don't have to pay the ransom to leave the country.

We are headed to the Maldives next month and I already have the list of PPO's there, just in case.

O.K. - I know what you're talking about. We used to have Plan F with Blue Cross and had to pay a monthly premium before we switched to a Medicare Advantage Plan. We pay NO extra premium per month for the Advantage Plan.

This is Off Topic and I'm not in insurance sales but a Medicare Advantage Plan is worth looking into. United Healthcare does offer one. You will just have to see what's available in your area. Some plans do have a monthly charge but not as much as what your presently paying.

We have had plan F since both of us retired as it gives more flexibility in selection of physicians, tests, etc. and not an add'l cent out of pocket as long as Medicare approves the medical event.

What also delayed things, was he for some reason he had locked the door when he went in, roughly a minute later I heard him go down, rushing to the door and finding it locked, I banged on it a couple times and called out to him then rushed to the phone. I would say the medical team arrived at the room, less then 2 minutes after the Alpha Call went out. Prior to their arriving, our Cabin Attendant upon hearing the call rushed to our cabin to unlock the bathroom door. CPR was started immediately upon dragging him out of the bathroom. I was called out of the room after the Supervisor for GR asked me to get our PP. I knew at 10 minutes he was in trouble when they hadn't obtained a heart beat. I had some 227 CC members on board so a huge support team throughout the evening and next day before we got to St Johns. My husband was never able to get off the ventilator yet what amazed the Dr's at ST Johns and our Hospital here in Palm Springs, was that the medical Dr on board and nurses had cooled him down. He had not complained about not feeling well and ate dinner that evening before we returned to our cabin briefly. He was 84 and 12 yrs older then myself.

Several staff members were with me during his receiving CPR. I am glad I was at least in the cabin when he had the attack to call for immediate help. Had it been during the day I might have returned to the cabin to late. I am also grateful he was on board and not touring Iceland as we had been 3 days earlier.

Gay

This must’ve been so scary for you. I’m so sorry you had to go through that and I’m very sorry for you and your daughters loss. May you find peace.

Jerseygirl, thank you so much, it was something I hope nobody ever has to experience. We have no control of when an emergency will happen, but with support of others and doing your best to stay level headed to deal with the responsibilities at home, in time we get through these hardships. My husband & I were 1 month 3 days of celebrating 49 years together. He was all excited about going on the Oasis in April with the daughter, Sister and Niece, I am happy that he got to see Copenhagen and following Ports, and had a great time but he just never knew when he arrived home. I did tell him the morning he was being flown home that he was going home but I doubt he knew. I am keeping active and want to be around our friends and not become a hermit as that is helping me cope.

Gay