Disembarking in Boston

njkruzer

Just returned from an eastbound TA on the QM2 (wonderful trip) and heard horror stories about US immigration. The cruise before ours was from Quebec to Brooklyn with its first US port being Boston. It took people hours to get through immigration and often didn't have much time to visit Boston. Another group sailing from the UK on NCL Jade had Portland ME as their first US port and again it took hours to get through immigration, leaving little time to sightsee..

We sail on the TA from Copenhagen to Boston on the Serenade in August and was wondering about other experiences so we can plan our trip home from Boston. Arrived there in 2011. No immigration issue to mention just took forever for them to get all the luggage off. Waited an hour for 2 missing bags. Thanks in advance.

Haven't done it myself with a cruise, but it taking awhile wouldn't be surprising to me. Just think of airports on international flights, it can take awhile with just a couple hundred people, a cruise ship has a couple thousand. It would be like 10+ airplanes all landing at once.

Just returned from an eastbound TA on the QM2 (wonderful trip) and heard horror stories about US immigration. The cruise before ours was from Quebec to Brooklyn with its first US port being Boston. It took people hours to get through immigration and often didn't have much time to visit Boston. Another group sailing from the UK on NCL Jade had Portland ME as their first US port and again it took hours to get through immigration, leaving little time to sightsee..

We sail on the TA from Copenhagen to Boston on the Serenade in August and was wondering about other experiences so we can plan our trip home from Boston. Arrived there in 2011. No immigration issue to mention just took forever for them to get all the luggage off. Waited an hour for 2 missing bags. Thanks in advance.

What kind of plans are you trying to make? The year I did it I self disembarked with no problem. I called my husband while in line and was picked up at 9:15.

We disembarked in Boston after a TA aboard Jewel several years ago. It was the worst disembarkation we have experienced. We were afraid we would miss our flight and actually made an earlier flight. I was stressed.

The standard reason given seems to be not enough immigration agents.

I hope your experience is better.

We have to either book a flight, train or rent a car to return to NJ. The people I spoke with talked 4 hrs! After 5 nts in Copenhagen and 16 nts at sea I don't plan on doing self disembarkation. Dh would think I had lost my mind!

We have to either book a flight, train or rent a car to return to NJ. The people I spoke with talked 4 hrs! After 5 nts in Copenhagen and 16 nts at sea I don't plan on doing self disembarkation. Dh would think I had lost my mind!

What kind of plan would you like to set up to get back to NJ? Will you have a car at Newark Airport? Boston South Station is close and there's an Amtrak train at 11:15 for $49 to New York or Newark Penn Station.

We were on the Copenhagen to Boston TA a few weeks ago. Authorities came on board and you went to them in the dining room in luggage tag order One of the smoothest disembarks off of a TA ever.

Good to hear after the reports I heard recently. I did hear that immigration officers came on board but heard it took hours. Wonder if it changes if there are more US citizens or more non-US citizens. We are thinking about the train to Newark Penn station.and will have a car service pick us up.

We were on the Copenhagen to Boston TA a few weeks ago. Authorities came on board and you went to them in the dining room in luggage tag order One of the smoothest disembarks off of a TA ever.

Glad to hear after what I heard. I wonder if it matters if there are more US citizens than non-US citizens. We are looking into the train with a car service picking us up at Newark Penn station.

Glad to hear after what I heard. I wonder if it matters if there are more US citizens than non-US citizens. We are looking into the train with a car service picking us up at Newark Penn station.

We were also on the August Serenade TA. Disembarkation was delayed slightly based on original schedule, however we were still in an Uber on our way home at 9:00am!

Sent from my iPad using Forums