What do you want to know about cruising?

The Electronic Travel Authority system (ETA) was launched in 1996. The system allows visas to be issued electronically and linked to the applicant's passport, eliminating paper application forms. Australia was the first country in the world to launch electronic visas. Since 1 September 2015, and all visas are issued and recorded electronically.

Since Trump became your President.

We can't be too careful, and need to be forewarned if he ever attempts to visit here.

I like Uncle Donald T, a legend, welcome down here anytime.:halo::cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Celebrity Eclipse (based in Melbourne for summer) is the only newbie we've heard. 

Going to a Royal Caribbean function today so perhaps they will reveal some news...

Some interesting expeditions also in the planning. If you're into maritime history of Australia, there is a great circumnavigation in 2020 (not yet announced but stay tuned!)

12 hours ago, CruiseCriticAUeditor said:

Celebrity Eclipse (based in Melbourne for summer) is the only newbie we've heard. 

Going to a Royal Caribbean function today so perhaps they will reveal some news...

Some interesting expeditions also in the planning. If you're into maritime history of Australia, there is a great circumnavigation in 2020 (not yet announced but stay tuned!)

Sounds great.

I had suspected the Eclipse was on her way here for 2020 which prompted my query but I suspect there will be some movement in the other lines as well.

I look forward to any news and especially about that cruise you mentioned. 

Also looking forward to the soon to be announced itineraries.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sebthunda said:

Going on a cruise to the South Pacific in mid December and thinking about packing - my rather silly question is in regards to the air conditioning in common areas - will short sleeves be ok or are we best packing a few long sleeve options also?

I’m fine in short sleeves on most occasions, Mrs Gut finds it a bit cool and takes something to put over her, like a wrap or scarf.

• 3 months later...

I know this is going to be a real comfort after the latest fiasco with the Viking Sky, but I would like to talk about safety for a moment. 

Cruising a long way from help.

Attached is a map of the cruise we did two years ago on the Sea Princess from Valparaiso to Sydney..

From Tahiti to Valparaiso it is 7924 klms or 4280 nautical miles. Divide that in half and you have 2140 nautical miles.

If an emergency had occurred out there in the middle, help could only come from the naval base at Valparaiso or Tahiti where the Chilean and French navies respectively both have frigates.

A frigate making 20 plus knots will take 100 hours or four days to reach the cruise liner in trouble. Remember the Carpathia took only four hours to reach the Titanic. It seemed like forever.

But how many of the thousands now floating in lifeboats can a frigate rescue even when they arrive?

Now out there the water is warm and the seas calm to moderate and the dangers of Arctic conditions and hypothermia don't manifest themselves, however, that doesn't cancel out all scenarios.

This video below is what the loading of a 150 person lifeboat looks like in perfect conditions. Note they are boarding from the stable cruise liner platform and not in the sort of hazardous situation that would present itself in an emergency. [Imagine what the 370 person boat would look like from say the Oasis of the Seas?]

<iframe width="697" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TWwfbBf4t7U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The diagram below is not a nineteenth-century slave ship. It is the seating plan of a 150 person lifeboat.  Only half are shown.

image.png.393ed29f4aa5ed2446b2c9fa440a247b.png

In my wildest dreams, I could not imagine sitting there for four days and not being able to move. No deck to go out on.

One also needs to note the little trapdoor everyone gets to sit on. Is that your toilet? It looks like it.

How long before people started to go mad and riot?

When we cruise on these longline cruises the risk of this happening to you is real. We know that. Or some of us do.

Sea Princess1.jpg

Edited by greykangaroo

I think it would have a lot to do with who you had to sit next to for four days whilst you waited for rescue.

Hopefully, someone would have the authority to allow passengers to move away from someone who had done fifty thousand posts on Cruise Critic for instance. In a situation like that, madness would set in much faster.

1 hour ago, greykangaroo said:

I think it would have a lot to do with who you had to sit next to for four days whilst you waited for rescue.

Hopefully, someone would have the authority to allow passengers to move away from someone who had done fifty thousand posts on Cruise Critic for instance. In a situation like that, madness would set in much faster.

Exactly right.

It would be appreciated if you didn't answer this post so it leaves it open for others to see.

I am pretty sure that no one will click on anything that you post as most know that all you are doing is trying to get to 50000 and have nothing constructive to say.

24 minutes ago, greykangaroo said:

It would be appreciated if you didn't answer this post so it leaves it open for others to see.

I am pretty sure that no one will click on anything that you post as most know that all you are doing is trying to get to 50000 and have nothing constructive to say.

Wow, just wow.