Avomine is being discontinued

When in Canberra last week we were told by a chemist that Avomine was being discontinued.

When we returned home I phoned Sanofi Aventis the Australian distributor to find out what was going on.

They confirmed what the chemist told me.

There is stock left in some chemists but I will assume they will run out sometime soon.

Thankgoodness we found one chemist in Canberra with some supplies left as our local small town Chemist hasn't stocked it for a while.

Time to find a new sick sick tablet.:confused:

Is it just in Australia or can you still buy it on line ?

It is hard to get on line in Australia but I don't know about NZ.

Maybe the AUS distributor is not importing it anymore and you will have no trouble getting it in NZ.

I hope so. I would stock up when in Auckland.

I read about Sea Legs tablets being available in NZ and Fiji which are suppose to be good. Same as bonine I think from what I have read and will look for them in Suva in September.

So if you do love using Avomine and live in Australia you may need to stock up for the summer before supplies run out.

Karryl

I can’t believe they are discontinuing it!! Avomine is the only drug that works for me.. I have been to so many chemists in Sydney and no one has any stock(we leave in a few weeks). I guess I will have to try phenergan as its the same active ingredient..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes very disappointed with this. Avomine is my go-to choice, otherwise I get horribly ill onboard, even in very slight seas.

I have not tried using it yet, but Phenergan is listed as having the same ingredient and strength as Avomine. That is usually freely available in chemists here in Aus.

Yes very disappointed with this. Avomine is my go-to choice, otherwise I get horribly ill onboard, even in very slight seas.

I have not tried using it yet, but Phenergan is listed as having the same ingredient and strength as Avomine. That is usually freely available in chemists here in Aus.

A couple of doctors have told me that Phenergan is the same as Avomine.Phenergant will be my 'fall-back' option.

In addition to helping with motion sickness, I use Avomine if I catch a cold on board. I take half a tablet each night. It helps dry up the nasal passages and helps me sleep. My husband tried it recently when he had a cold, and he thought it helped him get a good night's sleep.

When in Canberra last week we were told by a chemist that Avomine was being discontinued.

When we returned home I phoned Sanofi Aventis the Australian distributor to find out what was going on.

There is stock left in some chemists but I will assume they will run out sometime soon.

Thankgoodness we found one chemist in Canberra with some supplies left as our local small town Chemist hasn't stocked it for a while.

From day one (or five actually when the swells kicked in) of our first ever cruise Bonine has been my go to. Like you I suffer terribly (compounded by a few other little probs). Tried Avomine - Ok, Draminine - pass, - Phenergan - useless; but 1 Bonine a night and survived the Bering Seas in 6m swells [emoji41]

I buy them from the US on EBay and keep a good supply. Just keep an eye out on the UBD not that this effects them anyway.

Thanks for the info. I was looking for sea sick meds for my mum. I always carry phernagan for mild food allergies.. I'll speak to the chemist next time I'm there to see if it's okay to take with medications my mum and I are on.

Just Google the med name and get it on script from your Dr, easy as, and cheaper [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

The discussion is on obtaining Avomine. It has been discontinued by the importer/distributor so I don't think that getting a script from the doctor will help. We can easily get Phenergan either over the counter or by script, but it is not exactly the same as Avomine. The active ingredient of Avomine is promethazine theoclate whereas the active ingredient of phenergan is promethazone hydrochloride.

From day one (or five actually when the swells kicked in) of our first ever cruise Bonine has been my go to. Like you I suffer terribly (compounded by a few other little probs). Tried Avomine - Ok, Draminine - pass, - Phenergan - useless; but 1 Bonine a night and survived the Bering Seas in 6m swells [emoji41]

I buy them from the US on EBay and keep a good supply. Just keep an eye out on the UBD not that this effects them anyway.

Thanks for this information on how Avomine worked in comparison to Phenergan. I will give Phenergan a try just in case it is different for me (as Avomine worked a treat for me but not so much for you) but will chase up some Bonine which always gets good reviews. Just a pity that I can't buy it at the chemist.

I have had Bonine once but it made my mouth very dry but that is better than getting sea sick and having to lie down all day.

Thanks for this information on how Avomine worked in comparison to Phenergan. I will give Phenergan a try just in case it is different for me (as Avomine worked a treat for me but not so much for you) but will chase up some Bonine which always gets good reviews. Just a pity that I can't buy it at the chemist.

I have had Bonine once but it made my mouth very dry but that is better than getting sea sick and having to lie down all day.

Try taking a half tablet or take it every 2nd day - obviously works very efficiently for you.

Rose

You may be able to order it online from another country. When we were in Australia we found a wonderful anti cough med - non prescription. We are in the USA and I order it online from Australia. The shipping is kinda spendy but not too bad when we order several boxes at a time. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

avomine is our go to drug of choice and sad to see it’s been discontinued as we cruise on October

After some research Avomine contains Promethazine Teoclate and Phenergan contains Promethazine Hydrochloride

So the only difference is the Hydrochloride and Teoclate

Has anyone used the Phenergan? Seems as though there wouldn’t be a difference?

I will go speak with a pharmacist however interested to see if anyone has cruised sine Avomine was discontinued

Thanks

Hi there

avomine is our go to drug of choice and sad to see it’s been discontinued as we cruise on October

After some research Avomine contains Promethazine Teoclate and Phenergan contains Promethazine Hydrochloride

So the only difference is the Hydrochloride and Teoclate

Has anyone used the Phenergan? Seems as though there wouldn’t be a difference?

I will go speak with a pharmacist however interested to see if anyone has cruised sine Avomine was discontinued

Thanks

reenekk, I have spoken to our pharmacist and GP and they both said phenergan would be the next best drug to take as Avomine is not available. Our pharmacist said he has not had any Avomine for 6 months or more. Avomine has always worked well for us too.

Leigh

reenekk, I have spoken to our pharmacist and GP and they both said phenergan would be the next best drug to take as Avomine is not available. Our pharmacist said he has not had any Avomine for 6 months or more. Avomine has always worked well for us too.

Leigh

Update: pharmacist I went to said that Phenergan is the same as avomine with a different name, have purchased Phenergan

Thanks

Update: pharmacist I went to said that Phenergan is the same as avomine with a different name, have purchased Phenergan

Thanks

It's not identical, but it appears to be the next best thing. I still have some Avomine left. :D When (or if) that runs out, I will try Phenergan.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ebeyone just wondering if the Avomine available in UK is identical invredients as Australia since UK packaging/box is different.

It is likely to be the same. Can you check what the active ingredient of the UK version is? The active ingredient of the Aust Avomine is/was promethazine theoclate.