Entertainment Reports

takemewithyou

Last night we made it to our first onboard show it was the Magic Opera company, they played to less than 100 passengers. The promise was excerpts from popular opera, unfortunately it appeared to be little known pieces from popular operas. Whilst there was no doubting the talent on show and those in the audience who were opera buffs showed their appreciation it was not entertainment that would appeal to a broad spectrum of cruise ship passengers.

Hopefully there will be some more appropriate general entertainment during this cruise, although as we eat late it’s usually difficult to get to shows anyway.

Maybe the thought is highbrow equals upmarket?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last night we made it to our first onboard show it was the Magic Opera company, they played to less than 100 passengers. The promise was excerpts from popular opera, unfortunately it appeared to be little known pieces from popular operas. Whilst there was no doubting the talent on show and those in the audience who were opera buffs showed their appreciation it was not entertainment that would appeal to a broad spectrum of cruise ship passengers.

Hopefully there will be some more appropriate general entertainment during this cruise, although as we eat late it’s usually difficult to get to shows anyway.

Maybe the thought is highbrow equals upmarket?

Sounds like nothing’s changed there from a month ago, that was what we had 8 April. Not good. At that point I questioned could they not do the popular numbers from the same shows. I’m struggling as to what’s too difficult to make that tweak.

Disappointing, yes talented but in the wrong environment

An opera buff we know who saw them last cruise also hated it, so it’s doing nothing for everyone.

I was hoping by June it might be better I’d better manage expectations on that front as well

On the Bravo music charter cruise on Celebrity Silhouette at the moment. We are having coffee in Cafe al Bacio and listening to the most magnificent singer doing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Sorry to say Azamara will never be able to compete with the music on this cruise. Alfie Boe was incredible and tonight we have Katherine Jenkins.

Anyone who loves music should certainly think of booking a Bravo music charter.

On the Bravo music charter cruise on Celebrity Silhouette at the moment. We are having coffee in Cafe al Bacio and listening to the most magnificent singer doing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

Sorry to say Azamara will never be able to compete with the music on this cruise. Alfie Boe was incredible and tonight we have Katherine Jenkins.

Noted, off to google them for next year

I am so happy for you. What a way to have coffee.

Katherine Jenkins was superb. Best show I have ever seen and I have seen a few. What a lovely, friendly person she is too.

Never seen a standing ovation like it....not even for Andrea Bocelli.

Oh so jealous, but happy for you all, Silhouette is one of our favourite ships and the entertainment sounds fabulous.

I did see the cruise advertised recently at fantastic prices, but were already committed to a cruise on the 27th.

Enjoy the rest, would love to hear your feedback.

Jean

Just back from the Quest. The only opera was a tenor singing at the White Night party. No short plays and just one show under the 54Below at Sea branding. This just seemed a silly gimmick with the bar staff wearing braces and bow ties. The show was an American lady in her 80s.

Not to our taste I’m afraid and we joined many others in quickly leaving the lounge.

Other shows were performed by the Cruise Director, the assistant CD, and the four members of the Quest singers. We didn’t watch these, preferring to watch the sunsets.

On a more positive note, there was an enjoyable show by a concert pianist and good music in the Living Room and Spirits provided by the Sparkling Trio/Duo.

On Journey and just watched Kym Purling the pianist from 54 Below with support from Trey on bass guitar and Nathan on drums. One of the few times in 7 Azamara cruises I have stood at the end of a show. Very talented pianist and put a new jazz twist on some old favourites. As we left the theatre Steve Burks was playing and singing at the piano at Spirits

Last night we saw the trio in the living Room and they were fine. Caught a few moments of the opera set up in Cabaret Lounge, but sadly not our cup of tea!

Prior to Captains welcome a five piece band played on stage. Drums, bass guitar, sax, trumpet and pianists. I thought we weren't expecting a band anymore?!

Only two days in but nothing too bad to report!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading your posts, and focused in particular on those who sailed Azamara on longer journeys and their satisfaction with the new Azamara entertainment changes ( and then more changes..)

I do not see much improvement in the posts on nightly entertainment which is disappointing.

Azamara did not have a strong entertainment menu prior to the recent changes but we enjoyed what was presented.

Loved Russ and his team's entertainment for our last two holiday sailings. The Quest crew outdid themselves and we had such great holidays.

Russ,thank you for your talent and dedication. The singers and dancers brought life and joy to those watching them.

Russ if you are back, we hope you have influence to bring sailings at least to the previous level. What is the issue?? Lack of revenue?

Looking back, we even enjoyed the Living Room pre dinner vs what is now described. (Never thought I would say that).

Sorry to say we cancelled our 2018 15 night holiday Journey sailing. WOW. I just did this today and it does not feel good.

I could not see us for that long of a cruise on our balcony looking for the moonlight when entertainment was so spotty.

Azamara-listen to your passengers and loyal clients and make changes that enhance the cruising experience.

Wishing all happy sailings and that we will sail on an Azamara ship again!

Loucat – we were on one of the final Quest cruises with Russ and the old entertainment [this January]. I'm not sure how much Russ knew about the changes at that point – he had to be circumspect in what he said because the folks who were about to be let go were still on board – but it was clear that he had no say in what was going to happen. This was all from 'Miami.' But Azamara does seem to listen to its guests more than other cruise lines, and the reports on the new entertainment strike me as strongly negative – so there's hope.

Loucat, I’m not sure what reviews you’re referring too but looking back on this thread, the reviews of the ‘new’ entertainment are mainly positive! We enjoyed the Living Room before dinner most nights and thought the entertainment was

quite positive since the opera shows had gone. Everyone else was great except for one performer who changed her program for her second performance with Sashas guidance to perform more popular songs. The Sparkling duo were fabulous, White nights was wonderful, Tony’s show was fun and the new Azamara singers were also very good! And that reflects most Comments here on the new Quest entertainment, can’t comment on Journey. We are back on Quest in December and looking forward to seeing the new entertainment program develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

On journey the Riviera were great and tge pianist Steven.

The.opera singers talented but the accoustics of the cabaret lounge do not support their talent. They need stages like Fenice or Sydney Opera House and not a club lounge bar. They were not suited to theLCV cocktails - in my opinion

We recently returned from cruising Lisbon - Greenwich and Greenwich - Stockholm on the Journey.

We usually enjoy pre and post dinner drinks, music and dancing in the Living Room. The trio Riviera Sounds were great until we arrived in Greenwich. Adjustments had been made to the sound system for commentary cruising up the Thames and it took several days of ear splitting volume before we could chance spending time in the Living Room again. Unfortunately even after the fix, volume was a bit hit and miss and we walked in and out again as often as we stayed, so little dancing on our second cruise.

We did enjoy listening to Steve Burks on a couple of occasions in Spirits, also when he was re-located to the Living Room during World Cup Soccer matches (being televised in Spirits).

I enjoyed Magic City Opera's shows "Crossroads" and "Standing Ovations" during our first cruise, also an abridged version of "Carmen" during our second cruise. The singers themselves were very personable and having joined the ship in Singapore, were well and truly part of the crew, participating in everything from safety drills to hosting trivia.

I must mention some guest artists . . . our friends Sasha & Dima joined the ship in Tallin . . . their first 45 minute show a couple of days later was very well structured, allowing Sasha several costume changes. On the final night of the cruise, Sasha & Dima again performed as only they can for the first 30 minutes and the rest of the show included other entertainment staff in a rousing tribute to Abba.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have an update on the entertainment on the ships and in particular what is planned for Pursuit.

I am on Pursuit at the moment. We have seen the 2 Guest Entertainers - Magician Peter and Comedian Billy as well as Amanda's show which was beautiful. Both were very fun. Pursuit also has new cast shows. We have seen so far Musically Yours and On Broadway. Both were absolutely fantastic. The cast is made up of 4 very talented sweet performers. They also have the Trio which we thoroughly enjoyed...especially the female singers voice.