What to do in Venice? Get out of town!

BBMacLaird

We have a new blog called "Five Things to Do in Venice".

Personally I'm intrigued by points 3 & 5 which highlight the lesser-traveled sides of Venice as well as exploring the Outer Islands. Having been only once, in my youth, I focused on seeing the main tourist attractions in Venice. Now I'd like to go back and experience what I missed, such as the Lace Museum on the island of Burano.

How about you...of the 5 things to do in Venice, what would you like to do?

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/blog/five-things-venice

Getting "lost" in Venice is one of our favourite pastimes!

But if you feel that you have seen all there is to see in Venice and the islands then you can always venture inland.

We enjoy getting the train to Padua (about 30 minutes).The Scrovegni chapel (with frescoes by Giotto) is amazing.

Or you could visit Vicenza (about 45 minutes by train) .Both of these cities feel far less "touristy" than Venice and are very easy to reach by train.

After our Journey cruise that ended in Venice we spent a few days there.

We found the museum of the Jewish ghetto to be very interesting and moving. We went in the tour of the synagogues (offered at certain times in English. Like the churches, shoulders and knees should be covered. )

I highly recommend it but be aware they are not handicapped accessible- lots of stairs to climb.

If you can read Italian there are some plaques in the neighborhood commemorating the deaths in WW2.

http://www.museoebraico.it/en/synagogues/

a) Take a vaporetto across to the island of Lido ----where you'll find less tourists, interesting places to visit, restaurants where the locals eat, beaches...

b) Visit the island of Burano

c) Visit the naval museum

d) Wander around the island of Giudecca ---some fab places to eat here!

e) Visit the island of San Michele to view the burial places of some famous people

We’ve been to Venice twice, the last time in July on the Quest for the Redentore festival.

The first time we stayed on the Lido, which was very peaceful and has some lovely restaurants. We also went to Murano. Outside the Doge’s Palace there were touts from the glass factories who offered a free water taxi ride there and a glass making demonstration. It was fascinating to see several different items being made and there was no pressure to buy, you just had to walk out through the shop. We then had a wander around this pretty island and got a vaporretto back. (That time we also did the Doge’s Palace secret itinerary tour, which was fascinating).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I highly recommend a visit to Torcello to get away from the crowds in Venice. Torcello is one of the "origin points" of Venice -- it's hard to believe it today, but it once had a large population and was a thriving trade center and naval power. The basilica there has stunning mosaics and there is also a small museum, remains of an early Christian baptistery, and another circular church named for an early female martyr, Santa Fosca (including a carved relief of the saint that has been inset into the wall on the exterior of the building).

The campanile supposedly offers stunning views over the lagoon (I couldn't face the large number of steps involved, so gave it a pass...)

Don't miss the bridge known as Ponte di Diavolo (the devil's bridge) with a legend attached.... Very picturesque. And the canal it spans has a fair number of beautifully maintained (or restored) old launches.

There is a famous and famously expensive restaurant (Locanda Cipriani) but there are a couple of other very good and more reasonable alternatives. We enjoyed a splendid lunch in a covered area of the external courtyard of Osteria Al Ponte del Diavolo (currently rated #1 on Tripadvisor).