Bermuda: Warning for Disabled and Mobility Impaired Visitors

tuggers

I am looking for current handicap restrictions on Bermuda. Can I bring my own mobility scooter?

Wow, you resurrected an 11 year old thread. Of course you can bring your own mobility scooter. Unfortunately though the warning in the opening post from 11 years ago pretty much applies. Still can’t use it on a bus for example. Bermuda is not very accessible.

Wow, you resurrected an 11 year old thread. Of course you can bring your own mobility scooter. Unfortunately though the warning in the opening post from 11 years ago pretty much applies. Bermuda is not very accessible.

I am partially handicapped and have never had a problem in Bermuda.

I appreciate your post. As someone who doesn't have these kind of needs, it opened my eyes to a whole other perspective of beautiful, clean and incredible Bermuda.

From 11 years ago there has been some improvements in consciousness. The tourism website has a section on accessibility and they now list three vehicles that can be hired up from one. They will try to help on the ferries. There are balloon wheelchairs for rent at Horseshoe Bay. But in general the accessibility is poor. Buses still don’t have wheelchair lifts. Even brand new ones delivered this year in Bermuda don’t have them.

From 11 years ago there has been some improvements in consciousness. The tourism website has a section on accessibility and they now list three vehicles that can be hired up from one. They will try to help on the ferries. There are balloon wheelchairs for rent at Horseshoe Bay. But in general the accessibility is poor. Buses still don’t have wheelchair lifts. Even brand new ones delivered this year in Bermuda don’t have them.

We were just in Bermuda in July and were on a bus with a wheelchair lift. It wasn’t used on the particular trip we were on, but the set up, lift and space were there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just in Bermuda in July and were on a bus with a wheelchair lift. It wasn’t used on the particular trip we were on, but the set up, lift and space were there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were some buses ordered a bunch of years ago that have lifts but they are not used. So even if the bus has a lift in effect it does not since they never use it and won’t use it. Supposedly some technical reason. Maybe you can find out why. The only wheelchairs they will allow on the pink buses are fold up wheelchairs. Read the official Bermuda government page on the bus service. Read the accessibility paragraph which is on accessibility.

https://www.gov.bm/bus-zones-and-transfers

For a good overview of the situation for the disabled and handicapped in Bermuda read the article below. The website is local Bermudian and owned by the Royal Gazette.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/BPHA.htm

Edited by Charles4515