MSC Drinks Package

Marney*

Does MSC ever offer a free drinks package?

If not, any advice on whether to book one or pay as we go would be appreciated. It's for a 2 week caribbean and cuba cruise. We like wine with dinner and a drink in the evening.

You don't indicate which ship/itinerary (specifically - does the itinerary include the USVI? What is the embarkation port?) or where you're booking from. MSC offers different promotions in different regions and drinks packages/prices will vary depending on the region the ship is sailing.

The only thing that i can say to MSC Bev Pkg is that it is the best of all Cruise Lines for the price. If anyone can find a better price pkg, please let us know.

This includes Celebrity, HAL, Princess, NCL and RCI. Happy Cruising!

You don't indicate which ship/itinerary (specifically - does the itinerary include the USVI? What is the embarkation port?) or where you're booking from. MSC offers different promotions in different regions and drinks packages/prices will vary depending on the region the ship is sailing.

I'm booking from the UK on the Armonia for the Cuba/Caribbean cruise from Miami in 2019. I'm new to this so don't know what USVI means.

I'm booking from the UK on the Armonia for the Cuba/Caribbean cruise from Miami in 2019. I'm new to this so don't know what USVI means.

Sorry ... USVI = US Virgin Islands.

The reason I asked is because the drinks situation is a little complicated as MSC has either US$ or Euros as onboard currencies, depending on the region you sail. If the ship is on a Caribbean itinerary, but doesn't enter US territorial waters (such as visiting USVI), then the currency onboard will be Euros. However, you are embarking in the US, so the currency onboard will be US$ - which means that the basic drinks package will be more expensive per day than if the currency onboard were in Euros. If you decide to purchase one, you can prepay in Sterling and avoid a 15% service charge that's added to the cost if you wait until onboard to book (plus you'll be at the mercy of the currency exchange rate). Also, MSC charge different per diem rates, depending on the length of the cruise (you will see this on the link I'm posting). As your cruise is more than 8 nights, the price per day is the cheaper one.

Onboard, the Classic drinks package will cost you $38 pppd and the Deluxe (premium) will cost you $44 plus 15%:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Manage-Your-Booking/All-Inclusive-Packages.aspx

If you pre-book, the Classic will cost you £30 pppd and the Deluxe £35. You will find these prices on page 214 of the online brochure on the MSC UK website. Scroll down on the homepage to the bottom and you'll find the link "Online Brochures" in the second column.

Here's a link to drinks menus in US$ from last year (there are more up-to-date ones in Seaside reviews but I don't have a link)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527257&highlight=Drinks+menu

Everything without an asterisk is included in the Classic package and everything, including items with 1 asterisk, are included. Items with 2 asterisks (Super Premium) aren't included in any drinks packages. Bear in mind that you need to add 15% service charge to these prices.

Wines are limited to a choice of 2 reds, 2 whites, 1 rose and 2 sparkling - sweet and dry - on the Classic package; the Deluxe package has a wider range.

Q1. Does MSC ever offer a free drinks package?

Q2. If not, any advice on whether to book one or pay as we go would be appreciated. It's for a 2 week caribbean and cuba cruise. We like wine with dinner and a drink in the evening.

A1. We're booked on the Armonia for a 7 night cruise in January and the Classic drinks package was included as part of a promotion (in Rep of Ireland).

A2. You need to do the maths to decide if it's worth it to you to purchase a package. Personally, I wouldn't be without one; I don't want to spend my time onboard watching what I'm spending (it can add up quickly). I also upgraded our included Classic package to Deluxe as the difference in price when the currency is US$ is negligible, considering the extras that the Deluxe includes - especially the better choice of wines (plus mini-bar, room service menu items and premium drinks).

Sorry ... USVI = US Virgin Islands.

The reason I asked is because the drinks situation is a little complicated as MSC has either US$ or Euros as onboard currencies, depending on the region you sail. If the ship is on a Caribbean itinerary, but doesn't enter US territorial waters (such as visiting USVI), then the currency onboard will be Euros. However, you are embarking in the US, so the currency onboard will be US$ - which means that the basic drinks package will be more expensive per day than if the currency onboard were in Euros. If you decide to purchase one, you can prepay in Sterling and avoid a 15% service charge that's added to the cost if you wait until onboard to book (plus you'll be at the mercy of the currency exchange rate). Also, MSC charge different per diem rates, depending on the length of the cruise (you will see this on the link I'm posting). As your cruise is more than 8 nights, the price per day is the cheaper one.

Onboard, the Classic drinks package will cost you $38 pppd and the Deluxe (premium) will cost you $44 plus 15%:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Manage-Your-Booking/All-Inclusive-Packages.aspx

If you pre-book, the Classic will cost you £30 pppd and the Deluxe £35. You will find these prices on page 214 of the online brochure on the MSC UK website. Scroll down on the homepage to the bottom and you'll find the link "Online Brochures" in the second column.

Here's a link to drinks menus in US$ from last year (there are more up-to-date ones in Seaside reviews but I don't have a link)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527257&highlight=Drinks+menu

Everything without an asterisk is included in the Classic package and everything, including items with 1 asterisk, are included. Items with 2 asterisks (Super Premium) aren't included in any drinks packages. Bear in mind that you need to add 15% service charge to these prices.

Wines are limited to a choice of 2 reds, 2 whites, 1 rose and 2 sparkling - sweet and dry - on the Classic package; the Deluxe package has a wider range.

A1. We're booked on the Armonia for a 7 night cruise in January and the Classic drinks package was included as part of a promotion (in Rep of Ireland).

A2. You need to do the maths to decide if it's worth it to you to purchase a package. Personally, I wouldn't be without one; I don't want to spend my time onboard watching what I'm spending (it can add up quickly). I also upgraded our included Classic package to Deluxe as the difference in price when the currency is US$ is negligible, considering the extras that the Deluxe includes - especially the better choice of wines (plus mini-bar, room service menu items and premium drinks).

Hi, I was looking at booking this cruise for the 28 Jan 2019. I found the cruise on ********** but couldn’t find it in the Msc website. Do you mind me asking how you booked your cruise? I’m in Ireland too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There were a couple of Dublin-based TAs advertising it on the RTE Aertel page (I sometimes check it out online) and I used one of them. The package included direct flights, a hotel for one night before the cruise, close to the port and a 2 night hotel stay in the Art Deco area post-cruise. We booked it back in June when it was still on the MSC website.

For the last 2 years in the UK, MSC has included the drinks package for free on fantastica bookings made between Christmas and end February on most cruises. The prices were bumped up slightly, but still represented very good value compared to booking the cruise and drinks package separately (especially for cruises from Miami where the drinks package is much more expensive).

Promotions vary between countries, and obviously no guarantee the same would be offered this year. If your planned cruise is in Jan-March 2019 it probably wouldn't be included in the promo anyway.

... If your planned cruise is in Jan-March 2019 it probably wouldn't be included in the promo anyway.

We got the drinks package included for a 7 night cruise in January from Miami. However, the OP is doing the 14 night Caribbean itinerary (on the same ship); MSC rarely offers the drinks package for those.

• 2 weeks later...