MSC Orchestra Review - Morocco, Canaries & Mediterranean - 24/02 - 08/03

Captain-John

Thank you for your review! I recently became turned onto MSC and I really enjoy the cruise line now. I would love to cruise the Orchestra someday. Could you please post some photos from Marseilles and Genoa? I'm struggling with planning activities in both ports for my cruise this summer on the Seaview. Thank you!!!

Thank you so much for your review!

I'd love any more photos or info on the ports if you have them. We are also going to Civitavecchia, Genoa and Marseilles.

You say there is a free port shuttle in Marseilles. Can you tell me where I would look for that?

Is there a shuttle in Genoa or you just walk off? Did you enjoy the aquarium previously? We are from Florida in the US and have seen many aquariums, so may pass, but curious how good this one is. We did do the Monterey Aquarium in California last year and it was fabulous.

Who did you use for the private bus to Rome? We may just take the train, but like to weigh my options.

Thanks again for your great review. We sail Orchestra in April.

No problem, I have benefited so much from other reviews I am glad to give something back. I will try to help you as much as I can with your questions.

We ended up taking the MSC shuttle to Marseilles as it was our first visit, although we clearly saw the 'Free Shuttle Bus' sign from our paid-for bus on the way out of the port. It will depend on where your ship docks as to how to get to it.

There is a thread on CC giving more information, just be careful as this is a 2017 thread so things may have changed slightly:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2493065

It did look a good 10-15 minute walk from where we docked but if reasonably fit no reason not to do it.

No shuttle in Genoa, there is no need for it - simply exit the port terminal building and turn right. You will follow the sidewalk along the road until it opens up on your right into the Porto Antico area, which houses the aquarium, some restaurants and an Eataly shop. We visited the aquarium in May 2016. I've uploaded some photos of that and the wider Porto Antico area - apparently it is one of the largest aquariums in Europe. We don't visit many aquariums and did enjoy our visit. I recall it was on the expensive side so you might be able to book in advance online for a discount.

Porto Antico

20160508_123614.jpg

Shops & Restaurants

20160508_123824.jpg

View from the bigo (lift)

20160508_152811.jpg

20160508_152739.jpg

Rather than embedding all of the aquarium pictures, I've just dumped them to a separate album on Photobucket - some of them aren't great but they were just taken with a phone and in not great light.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/WithoutFear/library/MSC%20Orchestra/Genoa%20Aquarium

For the Rome transfer, we used Shorebee, it is their version of 'Rome on Your Own' - the instructions are quite detailed on their website as to where you are dropped off, timings etc. Shorebee subcontracted to Civitatours - I just checked their website and it is the same price. They provided a map on the bus and had a fridge with cold water, Cola and beer. Even although we had to wait for people to make it to the bus, it wasn't too bad and I would use this method again. We were thrown a bit because the meeting point at the port as stated on the papers was closed but it looks like it's due to re-open again before your cruise.

Edited by Captain-John

Thank you for your review! I recently became turned onto MSC and I really enjoy the cruise line now. I would love to cruise the Orchestra someday. Could you please post some photos from Marseilles and Genoa? I'm struggling with planning activities in both ports for my cruise this summer on the Seaview. Thank you!!!

My pleasure, hope this helps with your decision r.e. Orchestra. Marseilles itself is fine if you would just like to walk around for a few hours in the old port area (Vieux Port) and perhaps the shopping streets. We also visited the cathedral, although preferred the one in Malaga. We walked up the hill to the Abbey too. Here are some pictures:

Vieux Port:

20180307_113429.jpg

20180307_134927.jpg

Vieux Port taken from outside the Abbey:

20180307_125716.jpg

Old Town streets:

20180307_120726.jpg

Cathedral (apparently there is a little market/shops in the vaults under here but we never saw a trace of it):

20180307_114658.jpg

Plenty more if you want them! :)

Genoa now. As above there is the Porto Antico area and aquarium, and then there is the city proper. Whilst a bit grubby in the industrial port area it gets better as you move away from the front. A few pictures from wandering around the city (you need a map here as the little streets have all kinds of twists and turns and it's easy to get lost - leave plenty of time to get back to the ship). If you want to see both in the same day, I'd recommend starting in the city and working your way back to Porto Antico, that way you are much closer to the ship if you are tight for time. There is a tourist information stand outside the port terminal which can provide a free map.

20180306_111335.jpg

20180306_111621.jpg

20180306_121819.jpg

20180306_122219.jpg

20180306_121902.jpg

20180306_115850.jpg

Again plenty more.

Genoa now. As above there is the Porto Antico area and aquarium, and then there is the city proper. Whilst a bit grubby in the industrial port area it gets better as you move away from the front. A few pictures from wandering around the city (you need a map here as the little streets have all kinds of twists and turns and it's easy to get lost - leave plenty of time to get back to the ship). If you want to see both in the same day, I'd recommend starting in the city and working your way back to Porto Antico, that way you are much closer to the ship if you are tight for time. There is a tourist information stand outside the port terminal which can provide a free map.

20180306_111335.jpg

20180306_111621.jpg

20180306_121819.jpg

20180306_122219.jpg

20180306_121902.jpg

20180306_115850.jpg

Again plenty more.

C-J

Thank you for a very informative review

Thank you so much for your help!!

Glad you found the information useful. :)

Great review Captain, I'll be reading properly post Dubai and sure I'll have a few questions. Although will need to start work on a gadget to stop the balcony dividers rattling first ;)

And in turn I'll be grilling you as you're just off Splendida, which has just shot to the top of our list for consideration to sail this winter. Funny how these things work out! Enjoy Dubai. :D Yes I've thought long and hard about that divider and really don't know what will do the trick, short of you bringing a small hammer and a metal wedge........

I thought earplugs worked, CJ? Oh .......... you mean you didn't wedge them in the balcony divider space? ;p

I haven't got 'round to reading your review - I want to give it the attention it rightly deserves. You've put an awful lot of effort into it and it's going to be a fantastic read - and resource - especially for those who are already booked (or are planning to book) on Orchestra.

I was intrigued by your comment on another thread about your plans to book Splendida "my decision as to whether to commit to YC on Splendida (this kind of gives away the ending to my Orchestra review!)"

It didn't, actually. I wasn't sure if it meant that you did, or that you didn't, enjoy your Orchestra cruise. I take it that you did, seeing as Splendida has shot to the top of your list! :p

I, too, am looking forward to reading CF's report of her (unfortunately curtailed) time on Splendida. I know that she wasn't in YC (which we will be - we're marking a milestone birthday for DH) but I'm very interested in the changes that have been made onboard for her new season in China. Only 19 days to go for us, now! :cool:

^^

Should have had you on board with ingenuity like that! Sadly they were in my ears, but it helped with the creaking and rattling in the cabin when the seas were rough as well as with the divider issue.

I hope it becomes the resource you describe, as, in combination with your review, I think we get a lot covered and it's a relatively recent impression of Orchestra - something that has been lacking of late.

Yes the summary is I did enjoy this cruise, but I think the YC experience should iron out some of the niggles we did have r.e. inconsistent food quality and temperature (although I note your comments on the other thread that the YC isn't perfect either).

19 days will fly by and to be on a cruise for such a long time sounds fantastic, in the YC to boot. What a treat for you both. :D

Yes the summary is I did enjoy this cruise, but I think the YC experience should iron out some of the niggles we did have r.e. inconsistent food quality and temperature (although I note your comments on the other thread that the YC isn't perfect either).

19 days will fly by and to be on a cruise for such a long time sounds fantastic, in the YC to boot. What a treat for you both. :D

I'll let you know how it goes - especially regarding the food situation. I don't have high expectations as I find that, on re-positionings, a lot of the food is stored frozen and the range tends to be very limited. This was fairly acceptable when repos were heavily discounted. However, the price per day for YC for this cruise in Ireland is €253 pp - so not much less than for a 7 night cruise where the ship is stocked with fresh ingredients regularly. I won't be very happy if they begin running out of stock (as they did when we were on Sinfonia Venice-Durban, 24 night repo!)

Thank you for your review. You got me thinking about Genoa now. I am not interesting in Aquarium , just wanted to walk around the city, have some lunch and shopping. Did you feel unsafe?

No, never unsafe. Just the area around the port is a bit shabby, as it would be in a lot of other cities. The further in you go, the nicer the surroundings and we were never far from a taxi to get back to the port if we felt uncomfortable.

We did stand out as tourists but it was never an issue.

No, never unsafe. Just the area around the port is a bit shabby, as it would be in a lot of other cities. The further in you go, the nicer the surroundings and we were never far from a taxi to get back to the port if we felt uncomfortable.

We did stand out as tourists but it was never an issue.

Thank you

I loved your review. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your pictures. We are thinking about Europe again (looked our NCL cruise in 2017). We are changing over to MSC and booked MSC-YC in June 2019 for the Carribean. Europe booking up next.

Very kind of you to say. Have a fabulous time on your upcoming cruises.

Oh! I did forget to mention one thing - and I've only ever found this on MSC, no other line I've sailed on. Maybe it warrants its own thread where those on both sides can battle it out. I don't know if it's the size/type of plates MSC use compared to other lines that causes this.

75% of the time in the buffet, the first plate/bowl/saucer I picked up would have dried bits of food or crud on it. I saw myself turning over two or three plates to find a totally clean one. I know the plates with bits stuck to them will still be 'clean' but there's just something unappealing about a dried out bit of pasta that's been boiled in the dishwasher stuck to my fresh plate. Sometimes I get this in the dishwasher at home so can see how it happens but they really should be checked before they're put out for guests to use.

Also a lot of the bowls were scratched on the inside, and in the 'grooves' of the scratches there was a bit of staining. Took two or three bowls off the stack to find a pristine one. Again I know nothing is going to poison me but I have yet to see it on any other cruise line. Just throwing it out there! :)

Oh! I did forget to mention one thing - and I've only ever found this on MSC, no other line I've sailed on. Maybe it warrants its own thread where those on both sides can battle it out. I don't know if it's the size/type of plates MSC use compared to other lines that causes this.

75% of the time in the buffet, the first plate/bowl/saucer I picked up would have dried bits of food or crud on it. I saw myself turning over two or three plates to find a totally clean one. I know the plates with bits stuck to them will still be 'clean' but there's just something unappealing about a dried out bit of pasta that's been boiled in the dishwasher stuck to my fresh plate. Sometimes I get this in the dishwasher at home so can see how it happens but they really should be checked before they're put out for guests to use.

Also a lot of the bowls were scratched on the inside, and in the 'grooves' of the scratches there was a bit of staining. Took two or three bowls off the stack to find a pristine one. Again I know nothing is going to poison me but I have yet to see it on any other cruise line. Just throwing it out there! :)

Wierd. been on MSC many times never found anything like this :(

• 5 months later...
Cabin 15013 S3 Aurea Suite:

So after our dilemmas prior to booking and all of the upgrading and cabin switching, we were quite anxious about our cabin, and a particular concern was noise from the Top 16 sun deck directly above all of the S3 Suites. I'm pleased to report that we never once heard a noise from the sun deck, although that could be because it was closed more than it was open due to the winds we experienced!

20180225_120744.jpg

Speaking of annoying noises, the balcony divider in this particular cabin is loose and it rattles in even a light wind - extremely irritating through the night. Both our neighbours and ourselves tried to manufacture wedges with bits of paper etc. to try and lodge in the mechanism to stop the rattle, to some success, before it would fall out and the rattling would be back to full strength.

It's the divider to the right of this image:

20180225_161147.jpg

Close up:

20180227_123030.jpg

The best cure was earplugs!

I'm pleased to report that the offending balcony divider is now silent. DH had a number of resolutions prepared but it's been fixed :D