Looking for explanation of "Military Discounts" on MSC ships

wieslaw

Hi,

I am considering booking a cruise on MSC Fantasia. That particular cruise on the date that I am interested in offers a "Military Discount" ( according to my TA's web site ..... but I am not sure if I qualify according to their description of "Military Discounts)

I am a vet ( Vietnam ) but I am not 'active' or 'retired'. I served active 3 years and 2 reserve and have Hon. Dis.. On RCCL that is good enough to meet their rules and I got their Military rates few times ...... but MSC requirements seem to be different.

Here is a copy of portion of the rules from their web site:

Up to 10% Discount for Active & Retired Military Personnel

In honor of the brave men and women who serve their country, MSC Cruises is proud to offer up to a 10% discount on select sailings to all retired and active U.S. & Canadian Military personnel, spouses, parents, parents-in-law and dependent children. Discounted rates are available to all retired and active Military personnel, including U.S. Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, National Guard, Army Reserve and Department of Defense personnel. Qualifying guests must present an I.D.

Nothing is mentioned about the veterans.

Can someone who is a vet and got or did not get the Military rate from MSC comment ?

Thank you

OK, so fai..one comment that I do not qualify and one that 'vets' can get that benefit . Maybe others will comment as well.

I had a similar question on the Military Rate on Celebrity ships ( RCCL company) - similar wording in their rules as the MSC, but when I wrote to their Captain's Club and ask for clarification - they responded that Vets were included similar as the RCI's rules which are very clear.

I will write to MSC and ask but I am hoping that someone did that already and got the answer.

The discount will not change my mind if I book or not.

All I can say is DH spent 4 years in USAF. My MSC senior sales consultant said that qualified (and thanked him for his service) and asked me to send a copy of DD214 which she received via email while we were still on the phone. She told me it might be needed at check-in. She explained the 5%/10% discounts.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Nothing really to do with your question but if you have not sailed with MSC before they will status match you with your status on another cruise line, or airline or even a hotel chain. This will give you 5% off your first cruise and you keep that status and discount if you cruise again within 2 years. Sounds like you have cruised a bit with RCI

so maybe worth checking out. I dont know if it would be given on top of any Military discount. In any case the perks on MSC differ in the USA to what we have in the UK - dont think we have military discount at all.

As far as double discount, I was told no. If MSC is anything like NCL, one could receive a variety of responses to the same inquiry. Please ask for yourself. Our first cruise booking was pre-status match so I inquired about military discount. We were matched to black and then had access to select voyagers' club cruises (greater discount+OBC) so we booked other cruises that way. I understand one can get the match discount after booking.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

.........they will status match you with your status on another cruise line, or airline or even a hotel chain..............you keep that status and discount if you cruise again within 2 years.

It's 3 years actually, A ................ I don't think they match for status with airlines. IOTC on the latter.

I sit corrected :)

I must have read it wrongly when I first applied.

"Are excluded " never sank in probably stopped reading/thinking after "Airlines" I have never bothered with air miles or any sort of loyalty it was/is just who has the cheapest flights at the time we go!

I will remember it now - thanks - just to late to edit.

Just booked first cruise. It did not designate the cruise as a military special. Hubby served 2 years in Naval Air in the 60’S. Submitted DD214 and was immediately given 10%.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All I can say is DH spent 4 years in USAF. My MSC senior sales consultant said that qualified

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response and the good news. I will send them a copy of my DD214 and ask if that will qualify me.for their Military Disc.

In addition I will also ask what they mean by this statement that is also included in their Military Discounts section.

Here is a copy of that statement :

• 5% discount on Interior and Ocean View staterooms

• 10% off Balcony, Suites and MSC Yacht Club 1 staterooms

• Book multiple staterooms with your discount

I am interested in the "Book multiple statements with your discount". I will be booking 4 cabins for our family - would that qualify as the multiple staterooms ?

Nothing really to do with your question but if you have not sailed with MSC before they will status match you with your status on another cruise line, . Sounds like you have cruised a bit with RCI

so maybe worth checking out. I dont know if it would be given on top of any Military discount..

No I have not sailed on any MSC's ship - but I am tempted to do so by their lower than RCI and/or Celebrity prices.

I have been sailing with RCI for many years and I and wife have a D plus with them in their C&A.

We also sailed on Celebrity's ships for many years as well and have the Elite in their Captain's Club.

I did apply for the match based on the D plus.

I do want to try the MSC but I am not sure what to expect on their shipst, so I am not too comfortable booking ( in this case the Fantasis) for a med sailing.

No I have not sailed on any MSC's ship - but I am tempted to do so by their lower than RCI and/or Celebrity prices.

I have been sailing with RCI for many years and I and wife have a D plus with them in their C&A.

We also sailed on Celebrity's ships for many years as well and have the Elite in their Captain's Club.

I did apply for the match based on the D plus.

I do want to try the MSC but I am not sure what to expect on their shipst, so I am not too comfortable booking ( in this case the Fantasis) for a med sailing.

We too haD concerns about booking MSC, but we did. We travel mostly Crystal and some Oceania. One thousand passenger ships. We were looking for a cheaper short getaway. We booked Divina in January and took the Yacht Club. We are going with an open mind about the crowds and will enjoy it whatever!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had to submit my DD214 for our 1st MSC cruise on the Divina last year and got 10% off they also extended it to the 2 cabin my extended family had, this year while booking on the Divina again I mentioned my military status and they had my account marked "military" and I didn't have to provide any paperwork again I got 10% off.

Go through with it and take the discount, I'm not afraid to ask any organization if they offer and military/veteran discounts or offers. I ordered a mattress online and Saatva refunds $50 back to your credit card, they don't offer discounts upfront only after the sale.

I had to submit my DD214 for our 1st MSC cruise on the Divina last year and got 10% off they also extended it to the 2 cabin my extended family had, this year while booking on the Divina again I mentioned my military status and they had my account marked "military" and I didn't have to provide any paperwork again I got 10% off.

Go through with it and take the discount, I'm not afraid to ask any organization if they offer and military/veteran discounts or offers. I ordered a mattress online and Saatva refunds $50 back to your credit card, they don't offer discounts upfront only after the sale.

I had the same experience. They took it off the 2nd cabin as well as the one I'm staying in. Just provided my DD214.

Hey fellow veterans thank you for your responses - if the DD214 was good for your discounts ..... it should be good for my too.

I also just got email from MSC that they matched my status with RCI and they gave me "Black".. They were very quick in doing that,I just applied 3 days ago.

Thanks and thank you for your service as well .

• 1 year later...