4-19-18 Thursday weigh-in

mdaviswv

Hi all!

Mike ~ thanks for starting the thread. Wonder where Belle is. Haha, no disappearing act here just remained the same which is better than a gain, right?;) I'll weigh again tomorrow hoping for a loss, lol.

Have a nice day.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks for starting the thread Mike. Hope Belle is ok.

Good job maintaining - I'd count that as a win ;)

Unfortunately I'm up a pound this week, but I think it could be some water weight - lots of high sodium foods:(

I got a nice run/walk in yesterday with my son and should be running after school with my daughter. The cold weather makes my lungs burn more, but 'no discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful" - right?

Have a great weekend all!

Up .2 this week. Not surprising I guess since my family came up for a few days. My brother has a snow plow so he came up to help me dig out from the big storm last weekend as 20" was a bit too much for me to shovel.

I think warm weather is finally on it's way though so I'm happy.

Hey everyone,

I am down this week. Been hard to make the right choices each time, but still getting back at it when I stumble.

Nice to everyone checking in. A couple downs a couple ups. The most important thing is we gotta keep the eye on the prize!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all. I'm the same this week which is a victory these days. I do have some enthusiasm though as I more or less called myself out on the after dinner snacking thats been increasing. I've made no sigificant progress in the last couple of months sadly. Nothing has changed but the snacking, so thats gotta go.

You guys sound in pretty good shape. If up one is the worst we do, we'll be fine! Keep it up. Just think of the feeling of boarding next time at your desired weight! I've been cruising for a lot of years, and for most of them, I'd think, man if I could only be less than 200 next time. It was like a dream because I was generally somewhere between 240 and 250 and miserable. Well, this last November I finally reached it and I assure you it was wonderful. Not only are you at your "happy place," you're full of energy and enthusiasm and enjoying it more than ever! Ok, not a Belle poem, but my shot at encouragement. :halo:

So man I hope Belle is ok. Its unlike her to not give a heads up when she'll be out. As I mentioned a week or two ago it sucks we can't reach each other anywhere other than here. CC might be the only social type network with no DM option.

Well, I gotta get out of here. Going to WVU for a conference today. I'll check back over the weekend sometime.

Have a great day.

Mike

Good morning everyone! I'm new here on Cruise Critic and will be taking my first cruise in October! I have a weight loss goal to hit before embarkation day. Started dieting a few weeks ago, and I've been on a strict keto diet since Sunday. I am down 2 pounds since then.

I'm hoping to be a regular on this board and to encourage and BE encouraged by all of you!

SW: 207.5

CW: 202.2

GW: 165

I'm here, just lurking while on a break for a while. All is well with life - wife, dog, kids, etc all doing fine - me too.

After so many years of focusing on a goal of 180-190 for a 50+ male 6' tall - I have come to the conclusion that all the BMI and charts are to be taken with a grain of salt.

I can cruise thru life at 200 - 205 without feeling stress of needing to eat perfectly and work out like crazy. So apparently that is where the genes have determined I'm to be and that's that.

It's a little paunchy on me, but nothing like the 260lb days. Can touch my toes, wear out a pit bull on a walk/run, and make it thru the day without aches or pains.

Just not a lot to add without sounding like a big hypocrite. f166183f917725276699ef3c08d36fa6.jpg

Sorry "guys and gals"...

Had a last minute chance to go away for a few days and I took it.

Sorry no poem..Thanks Mike for starting the post.

I have not weighed. Maybe tomorrow or next week. Think I did

alright but could be up.

I see a lot of us have the snacking problem. Wish we could find an easy way

for us to stop it and not miss it!

Mike, Jo, pacruise, Kat Ncovert, Rose, Mom, shootr ......a pretty good

week, loss's and a few little gains. Loss's for everyone next week.

Welcome Mom and shootr good to see you back.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Good morning everyone! I'm new here on Cruise Critic and will be taking my first cruise in October! I have a weight loss goal to hit before embarkation day. Started dieting a few weeks ago, and I've been on a strict keto diet since Sunday. I am down 2 pounds since then.

I'm hoping to be a regular on this board and to encourage and BE encouraged by all of you!

Welcome aboard. I hope you’ll stick around. It’s a very good group and having a little accountability never hurt anyone. [emoji846]

Hey shootr. Glad you poked your head in this week. And happy to hear you all are well. In a way it’s disappointing you’re maybe losing enthusiasm for your goal. But at the same time I’ve been the same now for a month and am often guilty of feeling the same. I won’t give up yet, but my commitment definitely isn’t what it was 6mo ago. Take care and I hope you’ll still stop in from time to time.

Hello everyone,

I'm back. Been gone 6 weeks. Weighed in. I gained 7 lbs. Not horrible.

Trip was good except hubby and I both had bad colds, so bad we both had to see a doctor. We were sick for a month. Weather was not great. Missed 2 ports I was so excited to see. Couple other ports the ship docked but it rained all day so hubby and I stayed on the ship.

The good was we had a wonderful several days in Melbourne, Australia before boarding the ship and were feeling good to have great days in a few ports like Noumea, New Caledonia, Papette and Bora Bora....Bra Bora........magical. Perfect weather. We went on a snorkel tour seeing rays and black tipped reef sharks, coral and BBQ lunch on a private island (motu). Prettiest torquoise blue water I've ever seen.

However, hubby and I also were a bit frustrated with the lack of tourism infrustructure in some places. You get off the ship and there's nothing there. We, I guess, are so used to the Caribbean where you get off the ship and there are taxis, tours, snorkel tours, sailing tours, etc.

Now that we have done the South Pacific/Tahiti I don't think we would go back. It was great to do once.

Glad we're back.

Glad everyone is doing well.

Diana

Welcome home Diana! Seven is great in my book. I'm glad you fared well. Sucks getting sick though. Thankfully I've only missed a couple sea days sick in bed on cruises. Glad you were able to broaden your horizons though and take in some new territory.

Not doing well here recently. Something had better change this week or I'm doomed. If weight starts climbing, my emotional stability goes next and then before you know it I'm spiraling toward an inevitable crash. Same old story.

Take care everyone.

Mike

Up .2 this week. Not surprising I guess since my family came up for a few days. My brother has a snow plow so he came up to help me dig out from the big storm last weekend as 20" was a bit too much for me to shovel.

I think warm weather is finally on it's way though so I'm happy.

That's a lot of snow for anytime, but especially April:eek: . Our weather finally looks seasonal (60's) - I'm looking forward to more comfortable runs and being outside in general.

Hi all. I'm the same this week which is a victory these days. I do have some enthusiasm though as I more or less called myself out on the after dinner snacking thats been increasing. I've made no sigificant progress in the last couple of months sadly. Nothing has changed but the snacking, so thats gotta go.

You guys sound in pretty good shape. If up one is the worst we do, we'll be fine! Keep it up. Just think of the feeling of boarding next time at your desired weight! I've been cruising for a lot of years, and for most of them, I'd think, man if I could only be less than 200 next time. It was like a dream because I was generally somewhere between 240 and 250 and miserable. Well, this last November I finally reached it and I assure you it was wonderful. Not only are you at your "happy place," you're full of energy and enthusiasm and enjoying it more than ever! Ok, not a Belle poem, but my shot at encouragement. :halo:

So man I hope Belle is ok. Its unlike her to not give a heads up when she'll be out. As I mentioned a week or two ago it sucks we can't reach each other anywhere other than here. CC might be the only social type network with no DM option.

Well, I gotta get out of here. Going to WVU for a conference today. I'll check back over the weekend sometime.

Have a great day.

Mike

Thanks for the encouragement. It's amazing how much more energy we have after losing the weight and how quickly the energy drains when the weight comes back on. Maybe it makes sense though - imagine carrying a 25 or 50# pack around all day and how tiring that would be.

Had a mostly good weekend health wise. For my workout I was able to use 10# on each side of the squat rack for my set of squats (20) - those used to always wipe me out at even half the weight. Our run was good on Saturday morning. I think we are getting used to better portions again: I grilled hot dogs Saturday and had protein chips to go with, but we all felt full enough from the dogs that the chips got put back for another time. We went out to Cracker Barrel yesterday before a concert and while not perfect even the kids made some smart choices on side dishes, no one got dessert, and daughter and I didn't force ourselves to finish something once we were full (hubby took one for the team so we didn't have waste, and a muffin and biscuit came home).

ee383c31c0706b316e445afa4f2f405b.jpg

Living on the wild side today. Students put on the conference. Apparently no one drinks diet anymore.

Grape Sunkist sounds good, but at 170 calories a can I'll have to settle for having a sip if one of my kids get it;) I understand that sometimes you need more than just water though and don't have a lot of choices when a captive audience.

Welcome! I think I'll start posting my SW/CW/GW this Thursday - good transparency and accountability. Hope you have a great first cruise:cool:

Sorry for so many posts - I seem to only be able to multi-quote 2 threads at a time.

I'm here, just lurking while on a break for a while. All is well with life - wife, dog, kids, etc all doing fine - me too.

After so many years of focusing on a goal of 180-190 for a 50+ male 6' tall - I have come to the conclusion that all the BMI and charts are to be taken with a grain of salt.

I can cruise thru life at 200 - 205 without feeling stress of needing to eat perfectly and work out like crazy. So apparently that is where the genes have determined I'm to be and that's that.

It's a little paunchy on me, but nothing like the 260lb days. Can touch my toes, wear out a pit bull on a walk/run, and make it thru the day without aches or pains.

Just not a lot to add without sounding like a big hypocrite. f166183f917725276699ef3c08d36fa6.jpg

Your dog is beautiful:hearteyes: I agree that BMI can be misleading. At 5'4" female I should be (if I remember right) 115-135 for BMI but that doesn't account for muscle vs fat or frame size. I have a fairly small frame, small boned (lots of cushion on the frame;)) but my sister is more large boned so I would expect her to be heavier than me and still healthy. When I lost the weight a few years ago I was smaller at 155 then I was in high school/college at 135-145. I could still have lost some weight/toned more at 155 but I can't imagine looking healthy at much below 135. Our health insurance uses BMI as one factor for pricing discounts, but they just want overweight rather than obese and don't require 'normal' BMI range.

Did weigh this morning and happy to say..I stayed the same.

Didn't gain while I was away. Always nice!:)

I hope "you all" come on and say Hello this weekend.

Congratulations on maintaining. Glad you were missing for something fun and not anything bad:)

Hello everyone,

I'm back. Been gone 6 weeks. Weighed in. I gained 7 lbs. Not horrible.

Trip was good except hubby and I both had bad colds, so bad we both had to see a doctor. We were sick for a month. Weather was not great. Missed 2 ports I was so excited to see. Couple other ports the ship docked but it rained all day so hubby and I stayed on the ship.

The good was we had a wonderful several days in Melbourne, Australia before boarding the ship and were feeling good to have great days in a few ports like Noumea, New Caledonia, Papette and Bora Bora....Bra Bora........magical. Perfect weather. We went on a snorkel tour seeing rays and black tipped reef sharks, coral and BBQ lunch on a private island (motu). Prettiest torquoise blue water I've ever seen.

However, hubby and I also were a bit frustrated with the lack of tourism infrustructure in some places. You get off the ship and there's nothing there. We, I guess, are so used to the Caribbean where you get off the ship and there are taxis, tours, snorkel tours, sailing tours, etc.

Now that we have done the South Pacific/Tahiti I don't think we would go back. It was great to do once.

Glad we're back.

Glad everyone is doing well.

Diana

Welcome back. Seven pounds is pretty reasonable for a long vacation and I'm guessing it will drop quickly. Sorry to hear about the weather and health issues:(

It's kind of encouraging in a way to hear that itinerary is a one and done. I hope to see it at some point, but it's nice to know that once is enough - it could get pretty expensive if it was a repeat trip. I think I'd probably be more focused on the moment too knowing that I wouldn't be back.

Welcome home Diana! Seven is great in my book. I'm glad you fared well. Sucks getting sick though. Thankfully I've only missed a couple sea days sick in bed on cruises. Glad you were able to broaden your horizons though and take in some new territory.

Not doing well here recently. Something had better change this week or I'm doomed. If weight starts climbing, my emotional stability goes next and then before you know it I'm spiraling toward an inevitable crash. Same old story.

Take care everyone.

Mike

Don't give up! I know the weather has really gotten me down lately, but the forecast looks much better this week - no more snow:cool: We will have struggles, but you can do this. Try to find your "why" - for me the number on the scale is nice, but not enough to do the hard work of exercise and healthy eating. Remembering family history and knowing that I want to be healthy and whole for my family is what keeps me going. (I also have a faith component, but I realize we don't all share the same beliefs.)

Is your family onboard with you? Can you incorporate walks or other activity with your son before he leaves for college, or your wife? My husband and I have great conversations sometimes during long walks. It isn't high intensity cardio, but does still give a health benefit.

{{Hugs}}

Welcome back Diana. Glad you had a good cruise despite both of you having

colds and rainy weather. That "old cruise cough" sure makes it's rounds.

7 pounds for 6 weeks not bad. Bet some is water weight.

Mike I'm having a hard time too. Just hard to get with it. Hang in and so will I.

shootr please stay with us as you maintain. Love your dog!

pacruise your doing good with your exercise. I need to do better.

Don't give up! I know the weather has really gotten me down lately, but the forecast looks much better this week - no more snow:cool: We will have struggles, but you can do this. Try to find your "why" - for me the number on the scale is nice, but not enough to do the hard work of exercise and healthy eating. Remembering family history and knowing that I want to be healthy and whole for my family is what keeps me going. (I also have a faith component, but I realize we don't all share the same beliefs.)

Is your family onboard with you? Can you incorporate walks or other activity with your son before he leaves for college, or your wife? My husband and I have great conversations sometimes during long walks. It isn't high intensity cardio, but does still give a health benefit.

{{Hugs}}

Thanks. :) Sure, wife is on board with me. She doesn't need to lose weight but thinks she does so she tries as hard as I do. Family history is a huge component for me. My Dad died of heart disease when I was 31. He sincerely wanted to do as I've been doing, but was never able to pull if off. I don't want to leave my family early like that. My wife and I walk every evening when the weather is suitable. Typically in the summer we walk 1.5mi together at a reasonable pace and then I do 2 more on the treadmill a little more intense.

See everyone tomorrow.

Mike

Thanks. :) Sure, wife is on board with me. She doesn't need to lose weight but thinks she does so she tries as hard as I do. Family history is a huge component for me. My Dad died of heart disease when I was 31. He sincerely wanted to do as I've been doing, but was never able to pull if off. I don't want to leave my family early like that. My wife and I walk every evening when the weather is suitable. Typically in the summer we walk 1.5mi together at a reasonable pace and then I do 2 more on the treadmill a little more intense.

See everyone tomorrow.

Mike

:( My mom passed when she was 55 but suffered for over 30 years with MS. I know it is unlikely that I would contract it, but I want to have a strong and healthy base if anything does happen (and less weight is easier to lift if totally disabled). I also want to have the strength and energy to care for any family member who needs it - not that I expect that either. I think sometimes it's easy to have 'survivor's guilt', I know my emotions get all mixed up as I think back on Mom when she was my age.

It sounds like you and your wife have a good plan, I'm glad she's supporting you in this. My husband and I do much better together than apart:) . Hopefully warmer weather and drier days will help all of us on our journey.

Thinking ahead for tomorrow everyone:

Would it be helpful to list your plan for the week (those who fail to plan plan to fail) in the weigh-in thread. Nothing major, just maybe one or two things that you are focusing on to meet your goal - or as descriptive as helps you. I would probably list my meal plan and exercise calendar, plus maybe something I am giving up (processed snacks) or adding (more water).

I think the accountability would benefit me, but I don't want to clutter the thread if it would distract too much. Please let me know if you would prefer a different planning thread or are good including with weigh-in.