Seaside reviews

abby1257

I haven't kept up with all the reviews, but I am not surprised at all if that's the case. Seaside is a newer ship and there were many struggles at the start from what I've read - things that might be an issue of a European/Italian cruise line adapting to North American tastes, or things that were just a case of new ship/new crew. I tend to find that the mega ships experience a lot of average reviews and again I don't find that surprising.

YC has long been touted as the way to sail MSC. I'm not afraid to admit that I booked YC for next year because I was looking for the upscale experience and the itinerary I chose happened to be half the price of Haven in NCL. I know it isn't for everyone, but we don't cruise that often and I want something amazing when we do.

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed that reviews over 3 stars are all from Yacht Club and above experience....Hmmm
I have done both in and out of the Yacht Club and have enjoyed both experiences. In fact my next cruise is not in the Yacht Club and I expect to have a great time once again. Bob

Issue is with US folks thinking it should be or is ‘like’ the Walmart/Hooters/Mouse cruise lines...

Stay away if you are afraid of hearing other languages and trying new flavors...

Having actually been on Seaside early this year and going again this year, not in YC ever...stay Euro-Centric MSC! That is why I go, to meet/mingle with various folks from other countries and eat/experience the Italian/Euro offerings.

The majority of negative things written about Seaside are by folks that wanted the ‘other cruise’ experience...which they should have booked.

Enjoy the cruise that matches your taste/likes!

I do not troll nor post on other cruise line forums about all the things on their ships/cruises that doesn’t match my taste/likes...

Cheers,

I haven't kept up with all the reviews, but I am not surprised at all if that's the case. Seaside is a newer ship and there were many struggles at the start from what I've read - things that might be an issue of a European/Italian cruise line adapting to North American tastes, or things that were just a case of new ship/new crew. I tend to find that the mega ships experience a lot of average reviews and again I don't find that surprising.

YC has long been touted as the way to sail MSC. I'm not afraid to admit that I booked YC for next year because I was looking for the upscale experience and the itinerary I chose happened to be half the price of Haven in NCL. I know it isn't for everyone, but we don't cruise that often and I want something amazing when we do.

Issue is with US folks thinking it should be or is ‘like’ the Walmart/Hooters/Mouse cruise lines...

Stay away if you are afraid of hearing other languages and trying new flavors...

Having actually been on Seaside early this year and going again this year, not in YC ever...stay Euro-Centric MSC! That is why I go, to meet/mingle with various folks from other countries and eat/experience the Italian/Euro offerings.

The majority of negative things written about Seaside are by folks that wanted the ‘other cruise’ experience...which they should have booked.

I do not troll nor post on other cruise line forums about all the things on their ships/cruises that doesn’t match my taste/likes...

Cheers,

You quoted my post and then said this - I'm assuming you didn't mean me. Kind of weird to quote me though.

Just wondering, has anyone else noticed that reviews over 3 stars are all from Yacht Club and above experience....Hmmm

Hi Abby,

I noticed during the last days that you kind of "afraid" of MSC. You simply have to take the decision if you want to try something new instead of your recent cruises or not. Yes MSC is for sure different than Carnival - but hey - what´s the problem with it? As mentioned before I think that most negative reports came from people sailing on MSC and expect Carnival or RCCL. If you expect a copy of an US-cruise line - stay away but if you want something new to you and meet people from around the world book it (and stop doubting and start looking forward to a new experience).

What is above YC? Other than the Captain?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Point noted TWICE...MY BAD...BOTTOM LINE...it's the most expensive way to go and obviously will be a better experience...but not everyone can afford this....I do understand the price differences in regards to choice of cabin / location etc. but some of the other that you don't get with the lower "experience"...???

Point noted TWICE...MY BAD...BOTTOM LINE...it's the most expensive way to go and obviously will be a better experience...but not everyone can afford this....I do understand the price differences in regards to choice of cabin / location etc. but some of the other that you don't get with the lower "experience"...???

Certain complaints have been "fixed" such as "the smell" (an incorrectly installed pipe), the buffet choices, the opera, etc. Some complaints were the "new ship" problems that all ships have and are now gone.

Is there anything specific that has you worried? Personally, I never felt that anything was "too European" (whatever that means) nor "too American" (whatever that means) on Seaside.

I'll be back on Seaside and plan on bringing about 16 family members. Most of them have never been on a cruise. If I was worried about MSC being too weird, I wouldn't have invited them.

Cheers,

Why does every thread on this board have to have someone take a jab at "US folks" or "Americans"? Bad food, service and the stench of sewage is a universal problem. It has an effect on your vacation regardless of which country you are from. But if that is what you expect out of your "Euro-centric cruise experience" more power to you.

Why does every thread on this board have to have someone take a jab at "US folks" or "Americans"? Bad food, service and the stench of sewage is a universal problem. It has an effect on your vacation regardless of which country you are from. But if that is what you expect out of your "Euro-centric cruise experience" more power to you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unfortunately, I have a friend who said Seaside was fine, BUT she said because of all the Europeans they couldn't find anyone to talk to. For that reason, they wouldn't book it again. They are nice people, but very "American"- have never been abroad and their idea of Heaven is a visit to Disney World (and they are in their 70's).

We have traveled abroad extensively, I speak Spanish, we love all kinds of food and we've signed up for a world cruise in 2020 and I suspect we won't have a problem. Although I admit that some people from other countries annoy me when they refuse to wait in lines.

Hi Skinsfan-

It is not a jab if true, you do know that folks from Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, etc are all Americans as well.

I specifically called out some of my fellow US countrymen for what has been posted here and mostly what I experienced first hand while on Seaside.

For those reading these posts trying to decide, ask if the posters have actually been on Seaside. If yes, then determine if their likes/dislikes match yours...if they have not actually been on Seaside, they are just adding noise.

Being functional in only 1 language and less skilled at accents is a handicap...most people on this small globe speak multiple languages.

Ever heard the saying that folks from NYC are not friendly? Or that folks from down south are inbred/stupid...these are false stereotypes...that many take as truths. False stereotypes are the root of many MSC complaints.

There are many experiences to choose from in the cruise market...pick what you prefer...like Ferraris, pasta, and wine...make mine Italian please :-)

MSC shouldn’t change, many of us US Folks Love it the way it is.

Food was better than the other lines.

Service top to bottom was Awesome, 5 Star.

No Smell

Was on in Feb and never smelled anything foul on Seaside other than the Carnival ship in Nassau we were docked by...not a jab and do not hold that against them...they are good at what they offer.

But having served in the US Navy, smells on and around wharfs, harbors, docks, boats, barges, donuts, ships, etc...they are part of the expected experience.

Never saw a bad sunset...

Bext wishes on your next cruise!

I had not read any reviews lately, but decided to check them out after seeing this thread.

We had booked an MSC cruise for this month back in Fall 2017; however, we canceled after reading negative reviews about that ship. We decided to try again, so we booked Seaside 2 weeks ago with some friends that have never cruised before.

I see that the reviews are still negative. I'm a little worried. We are very-seasoned cruisers, but we would never step foot back on a Carnival ship again after our last cruise with them. We are wanting to try something new. We love RC, but there prices are not going to get us back anytime soon (especially since we have a 20 yr old in college)!!

Our cruise isn't until Fall 2019, so I have plenty of time to keep an eye on the reviews. If they don't get better by next Spring, we have plenty of time to change our minds.

I just don't want this cruise to be terrible and our friends decide that cruising is not for them. If they decide that, I want it to be strictly based on their feeling of cruising and not because of bad food and/or service.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on these reviews going forward! I have high hopes things will get better! :D

I had not read any reviews lately, but decided to check them out after seeing this thread.

We had booked an MSC cruise for this month back in Fall 2017; however, we canceled after reading negative reviews about that ship. We decided to try again, so we booked Seaside 2 weeks ago with some friends that have never cruised before.

I see that the reviews are still negative. I'm a little worried. We are very-seasoned cruisers, but we would never step foot back on a Carnival ship again after our last cruise with them. We are wanting to try something new. We love RC, but there prices are not going to get us back anytime soon (especially since we have a 20 yr old in college)!!

Our cruise isn't until Fall 2019, so I have plenty of time to keep an eye on the reviews. If they don't get better by next Spring, we have plenty of time to change our minds.

I just don't want this cruise to be terrible and our friends decide that cruising is not for them. If they decide that, I want it to be strictly based on their feeling of cruising and not because of bad food and/or service.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on these reviews going forward! I have high hopes things will get better! :D

It’s a bit strange for me that people like you book a cruise, despite (in your eyes) the reports are that bad.:confused:

It’s a bit strange for me that people like you book a cruise, despite (in your eyes) the reports are that bad.:confused:

Hmm.....we booked the cruise 2 weeks ago and I just read about the Seaside reviews today. I take your comment a little personally.

Hi Jennmaybe,

Are you also reading all the positive reviews?? Seems like you have limited your investigation to negative reviews. I keep an eye on the Cruise Critic Member Reviews and find most of them to be positive and many to be raves. You have to be able to see through some of the negative reviews...a lot of them have a specific axe to grind over some incident that happened. I read a 1 star review on another site that complained about the customer service desk and an unresolved matter but they did say they liked the food, cabin and entertainment but still gave the review 1 star...go figure!

Hmm.....we booked the cruise 2 weeks ago and I just read about the Seaside reviews today. I take your comment a little personally.

You wrote that you booked a Seaside cruise back in 2017 and cancelled it after reading bad reviews. Now it seems that you do exactly the same thing again... Sorry but this is a bit strange for me.;)

I agree with what Cgtnormandie wrote before - the reviews are quite good recently. And in my opinion some cruisers (or better call them professional complainers) really look for the one big issue they can write about to make their holiday as worse as possible...;)

I would hate to have my cruise ruined by Oatmeal ... :evilsmile::rolleyes:

LOL LOL LOL!! Believe it or not...the guy really said that the oat meal wasn’t hot enough and it really ruined his cruise. I was speechless...and had everything I could do to keep my seat and not fall down in tears of laughter!