Bermuda: Warning for Disabled and Mobility Impaired Visitors

tuggers

Having just returned from the beautiful island of Bermuda I wanted to warn those who have mobility issues that our travels with both a wheelchair user and a cane dependant person were not without problems.

First, the buses are not handicap accessible and the locals make no secret of the fact that they are in a hurry and do not want to wait on anyone taking extra time to board.

The taxi's are mostly very small, allowing no extra clearance for knees that don't move or require braces.

The van taxi's all require you to be able to lift your leg about a foot or more to get in, making use impossible for some people.

Ferries were generally accessible if you could walk on.

They had no problem storing the wheelchair but most of the time you could not stay in the chair and get on because the space between the dock and the ferry was too uneven.

There is no equivilant of the Americans With Disabilities Act and stores and restaurants have no directive to require them to be accessible. Most are not.

Bermuda is not on any of the International tourism registers for the disabled/handicapped.

Bermuda is one of the most traffic dense places on earth with very busy streets and fast moving cars and trucks. It is not easy to navigate if you are mobility challenged.

The streets are very hilly, the sidewalks uneven. For a handicapped person traveling alone they can be treacherous.

The beaches are not handicap accessible.

I did b2b2b in Bermuda the summer of 2005 and loved it. I still do. I was just VERY disappointed that when I came back to the island, with two mobility challenged friends, I found it to be so un-friendly. When we asked a bus officiall how people were supposed to get around if they couldn't use the buses he said 'that's what taxi's are for'.

If you visit, read all you can and be prepared.

This is not news to those of us who are fulltime wheelchair users. It doesn't help when cruise lines combine BAMZ, the only fully accessible aquarium, museum and zoo on the island with the crystal cavern as a shore excursion. The cavern requires going down 81 steps. I did find one accessible minivan taxi and am keeping that number to myself..

May I suggest that you also post this on the Disabled CC Board where more handicapped people will be able to see it, rather than just those whose primary interest is X. This is the sort of post that could almost be made a sticky since the Bermuda cruise season is just getting going:)

Having just returned from the beautiful island of Bermuda I wanted to warn those who have mobility issues that our travels with both a wheelchair user and a cane dependant person were not without problems.

This really shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us.

The entire Caribbean is this way as is most of the rest of the world. The US and Canada are the leaders in providing handicap access.

Most of these places lack the necessary funds to provide the proper facillities.

May I suggest that you also post this on the Disabled CC Board where more handicapped people will be able to see it, rather than just those whose primary interest is X. This is the sort of post that could almost be made a sticky since the Bermuda cruise season is just getting going:)

FYI, I copied this thread to both the Disabled Cruise Travel and the Bermuda Port of Call boards.

This really shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us.

The entire Caribbean is this way as is most of the rest of the world. The US and Canada are the leaders in providing handicap access.

Most of these places lack the necessary funds to provide the proper facillities.

That is true. And a small island of 50,000 people can't provide facilities like a 1st world country with millions of people. Even in the USA it took a large political movement to win the ADA and the rights therein. Also a little research ahead of time would have revealed that it is well known that that Bermuda has terrible handicapped access. It has been discussed before on the CC Bermuda boards.

Don't take this as meaning that I am excusing Bermuda, I do think that even in the context of them not having the resources of the USA, that they could not reach an ADA level there, that they could and should do something more than currently do. I think they could improve from terrible access to at least adequate access.

It came as a surprise to me because I have some minor mobility issues that come and go (I have good days and bad days), but have never traveled there with some one who is mostly dependent on a wheelchair and also with someone who walks with a cane and is forced to move slowly. That's what made it an eye-opening experience for me. To see what they had to go through and to hear the comments made about them, which were not very charitable, was a humbling experience for me. It was almost liking walking in their shoes and let me tell you, it's no stroll in the park.

I wanted others who might find themselves traveling with people who are mobility impaired to know up front what they are dealing with.

To me, since the bus system is the primary way of travel around the island, these should be accessible. If a person can walk on, all that would be required is an area where a folded chair can be stored. Interestingly enough, some of the buses have these, but they still do not allow them to used for this purpose. And I never saw them used for any other purpose either!

I think in Bermuda it's more an attitude that you brought this on yourself so deal with it. They were the coldest people I've ever met about disabilities.

We've down well in Cozumel, Aruba, St Thomas, etc. They all had some accommodations. Not Bermuda.:confused:

I think in Bermuda it's more an attitude that you brought this on yourself so deal with it. They were the coldest people I've ever met about disabilities.

This is completely the opposite of my experience during at least 15 visits to Bermuda over the past 10 years. I have seen the local bus drivers and other passengers (both local and tourists) on many occasions go out of their way to assist people where they possibly could. True they don't have the proper facillities but they seemed to compensate for that with personal assistance.

I don't think one or two experiences warrants labeling the people of Bermuda in this manner. Our positive attitudes always seem to bring very positive results unfortunately in this society the converse is also true.

Thank you Gail, for your comments.

I think people who are in WCs should have the truth about traveling in Bermuda. We were there on a TA and had to reserve a taxi tour in advance. Even then, Bill had to transfer to the front seat of a van. He could not get out at any of the stops. We did not even try to walk in Hamilton.

I don't think your post should discourage others to visit Bermuda. Even the Dockyard area is tough for the disabled. Taxis are very expensive, but the only alternative.

I think if more pax had an injury to deal with they would have more sympathy for disabled cruisers. In a perfect world we would all be fit, but real life has way of intruding. It isn't easy for us to travel so we welcome all the truly generous people who help us along the way.

We enjoyed reading about your final Zenith cruise. Hope to meet you again on some X ship

Ginger and Bill

This is completely the opposite of my experience during at least 15 visits to Bermuda over the past 10 years. I have seen the local bus drivers and other passengers (both local and tourists) on many occasions go out of their way to assist people where they possibly could. True they don't have the proper facillities but they seemed to compensate for that with personal assistance.

I don't think one or two experiences warrants labeling the people of Bermuda in this manner. Our positive attitudes always seem to bring very positive results unfortunately in this society the converse is also true.

I'm the one Gail referred to as "moving slowly with a cane." I get around most everywhere I want to go. I know my limitations and don't try skateboards or mountain hikes.

And I can assure you, I do go with a positive attitude. I have found willing hands to help me worldwide and I am grateful for them. Ain't nobody more positive than a handicapped person who just keeps going.

But I don't appreciate high steps without at least a stool to help me up. I don't appreciate unfriendly, uncouth and unpleasant remarks about me or anyone else.

We had a very unfriendly and rude experience. Although I loved Bermuda's beautiful vistas, I will always have a memory of persons with no sympathy -- and with an attitude! -- for those who are trying but just can't do it like everyone else does. It was not just one person, but a whole bevy of them who contributed to this one distasteful experience.

But hey, one sour apple does not ruin the whole barrel. We had a lovely time, moving slowly, with squeaky wheels, achy knees and tap tapping canes.

love

joan

I understand some hotels and sidewalks were upgraded to help those who use wheels..including strollers, after the 2005 hurricane hit. I'll see in late October. Weather damage is perfect timing for islands to inexpensively upgrade since they have to replace and not rehab.

And the DH and I are X interested. We prefer the quieter, more educated crowd to most the other large lines.

I am a huge Celebrity fan.

I sailed on Oceania Regatta in January. This is the same ship as the new Celebrity Journey. I would not recommend Journey to those in wheelchairs or to those with canes or problems with walking.

There is a lot of motion on these ships- even in the Caribbean. Granted Journey will be docked for most of the cruise but the door to the pool area are very heavy. The hallways are narrow and there is a threshold between the corridor and the landing to the elevators and stairs.

I commented while on Regatta- that my grandmother (who was wheelchair dependent) would have had a really difficult time on the ship. By day there are only a few public areas- the buffet, a small interior bar, the Theatre, the main diningroom and the library. There might be bridge lessons going on in two upstairs restaurants. However, there aren't many places for people in wheelchairs to comfortably navigate and forget scooters- they won't work. Didn't see anyone with handicaps on board Regatta.

If you are wheelchair dependent or aren't sure-footed- choose a different vessel.

That is true. And a small island of 50,000 people can't provide facilities like a 1st world country with millions of people. Even in the USA it took a large political movement to win the ADA and the rights therein. Also a little research ahead of time would have revealed that it is well known that that Bermuda has terrible handicapped access. It has been discussed before on the CC Bermuda boards.

Don't take this as meaning that I am excusing Bermuda, I do think that even in the context of them not having the resources of the USA, that they could not reach an ADA level there, that they could and should do something more than currently do. I think they could improve from terrible access to at least adequate access.

Even New York City does not provide handicapped accessibility to its subways. When former Mayor Koch was petitioned to make the subways handicap accessible, he stated that the cost would be so great that it would be cheaper to provide a limo for each handicapped person.

Even New York City does not provide handicapped accessibility to its subways. When former Mayor Koch was petitioned to make the subways handicap accessible, he stated that the cost would be so great that it would be cheaper to provide a limo for each handicapped person.

That is true but New York City provides alternatives to travel on the subways, like buses etc. Bermuda as far as I can tell provides nothing.

I am a huge Celebrity fan.

I sailed on Oceania Regatta in January. This is the same ship as the new Celebrity Journey. I would not recommend Journey to those in wheelchairs or to those with canes or problems with walking.

There is a lot of motion on these ships- even in the Caribbean. Granted Journey will be docked for most of the cruise but the door to the pool area are very heavy. The hallways are narrow and there is a threshold between the corridor and the landing to the elevators and stairs.

I commented while on Regatta- that my grandmother (who was wheelchair dependent) would have had a really difficult time on the ship. By day there are only a few public areas- the buffet, a small interior bar, the Theatre, the main diningroom and the library. There might be bridge lessons going on in two upstairs restaurants. However, there aren't many places for people in wheelchairs to comfortably navigate and forget scooters- they won't work. Didn't see anyone with handicaps on board Regatta.

If you are wheelchair dependent or aren't sure-footed- choose a different vessel.

I have no problems with motion. I have slept through gale force storms like a baby. But if the ship's public rooms are not all accessible during the repo from Cape Liberty to Miami I assure you someone will hear about it, loudly. But I do plan on being ashore at all these new, to me, ports especially San Andreas and Cartagena.

I think rebeccalouise's point, other than that Journey is not going to be very good for people with mobility issues or some other types of disabilities, is that the public rooms are small and there is not much going on during the day. I think Journey will be more a ship for port intensive cruises, not for people who want to chill on board with some activities all day.

Thanks Gail for posting this. We just returned also from Bermuda and was thinking the same thing about getting around with disabilities. DH uses a cane and in some places it was hard for him to navigate around. It is a lovely place to visit, and I would not tell anyone not to go at least once, but most everyplace is tight going. We had one man in an electric wheelchair and he was having a very hard time of it. He didn't stay too long off the ship and returned.

Bermuda is a beautiful island but very expensive. I have been many places and I have to say that cruises are great for those with disablities. Having seen what i have seen, I highly recommend the Millenium class ships- with automatic doors, spacious corridors, handicapped cabins and itineraries that don't include tendering. For example- Alaska. These cruise are not as formal, the views are spectacular, you don't sweat, and it is easy to get off the ship and just putz around- with no excursions. I sympathize with the wheelchair dependent. My grandma was in a wheelchair for the last six years of her life.

As some others have stated, I don't think this problem is specific to Bermuda. We travel with three elderly relatives (not wheelchair bound) and we have alot of trouble with them on excursions no matter where we go. Most of the resident locals are very helpful and courteous, but accessibility is a big problem. Most of the excursion buses/trams, etc. are very difficult for them to board, and most do not have any type of step stool. I love Celebrity, but I have found very, very few excursions where the Celebrity folks helped in any way securing front, handicapped seats for these ladies. Often they have to struggle getting up into a bus, and then have to struggle through narrow aisles with their canes and sometimes walkers, getting to seats in the back of the bus. I have also encountered on several occasions rude remarks when I have attempted to ask Celebrity folks to help us. I love almost everything about Celebrity (have sailed enough to be an Elite member) but this is one area where they fail miserably in my opinion.

I have taken maybe a dozen cruises, with ports on at least five continents, since I have been saddled with a cane and a bad knee, and I have found most people willing to help and generous in their support.

For the mot part, that is 99.9 percent part, I have been given front seats or the most desirable ones for my handicap. Drivers and tour guides have been exceptional. Kind and patient.

I would never discourage a handicapped person from cruise travelling so long as he/she recognizes his/her limitations. I got turned down on zip lining in Costa Rica, but then, maybe I was feeling a little too frisky.

Makes it all the more noticeable when someone is actually rude or uncaring!

love

joan

Jeez, JoAn! Are you still griping about the zip line? They won't let me go (although in my case they probably are looking out for the trees:D)! Besides, you said you had the best tour EVER with Oscar Brown's people and you didn't get mugged (in Purto Limon these days I understand that's quite the trend), so get over the zip line!!!:D :D :D

Maybe we'll go bungy jumping at one of the ports on our

Grandeur repo??

yes you are right. We have just returned from Bermuda on Zeniths last cruise. My wife who uses a scooter was refused access on the bus. We just got on and wouldnt budge and it worked.

Good for you, Bundy!!!!

How come we did not meet you on that cruise? Or maybe we did.

As for the zip line, it was a great tour through Costa Rica without it. It is just tht sometimes I'd like to do what the younger kids do!!!

Handicapped of the world, carry on!!!!

love

joan