Early 2020 DCL Itinerary Announcement

mikeandkelli

Disney has scheduled an online webcast on Thursday morning 9/27 to announce their early 2020 itineraries.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/09/watch-it-live-disney-cruise-line-to-unveil-new-cruises-in-2020-this-thursday/

Live from Walt Disney World Resort, host Mark Daniels will reveal where our ships are headed in early 2020, including first-ever cruises from the port of … (you’ll have to watch to find out!)

6 sailings from NOLA

The Disney Wonder will embark on six cruises during this limited-time season from New Orleans, including four-, six- and seven-night Western Caribbean sailings; a seven-night Bahamian cruise; and a 14-night Panama Canal voyage, departing February 7 through March 6, 2020.

(taken from WDWinfo article)

I'm not sure why you'd want to cruise one way from the West coast to Hawaii. Unless you absolutely love sea days on a ship and would prefer those to spending days an amazing Hawaiian beaches.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Well, you the best of both with a one way cruise. Multiple sea days to lounge around and then spending time on Hawaii before flying back home.

I'm curious for 2021 and where the new Disney ship will be going out. Seems likely a European start then heading to either NYC or Port Canaveral. I also wonder when these 3 new ships enter service if Disney may sell the Magic & Wonder by 2024/2025?

I'm curious for 2021 and where the new Disney ship will be going out. Seems likely a European start then heading to either NYC or Port Canaveral. I also wonder when these 3 new ships enter service if Disney may sell the Magic & Wonder by 2024/2025?

New DCL ships typically serve a period of time sailing from Port Canaveral before moving on to other home ports.

I hope DCL doesn't get rid of the Magic class ships. I love the smaller size (fewer people). And it would leave them open to the possibility of itineraries that have ports that can't accommodate large ships.

Sadly, DCL has been using San Diego for a number of years now.

What is the advantage of San Pedro/LA? Its an industrial area with the scenery being cargo containers. I am biased as we used to live in San Diego. The port is scenic, right next to Seaport Village, and within walking distance of a lively downtown area and lots of hotels. Seems like one of the better US based port cities.

But, I do agree with the consensus that the overall itineraries are not that great. We are going to book something into and out of New Orleans. I hope DCL can do better in future years as they add ships.

What is the advantage of San Pedro/LA? Its an industrial area with the scenery being cargo containers. I am biased as we used to live in San Diego. The port is scenic, right next to Seaport Village, and within walking distance of a lively downtown area and lots of hotels. Seems like one of the better US based port cities.

But, I do agree with the consensus that the overall itineraries are not that great. We are going to book something into and out of New Orleans. I hope DCL can do better in future years as they add ships.

I had no bias toward any west coast port. I just couldn't remember which port DCL used. We haven't cruised there since 2005; and even then we used DCL transportation so I really didn't care where the bus took us.

We are all wondering what will happen as the new ships launch. There are plenty of rumors, but nothing concrete. Guess we'll have to wait and see. In the past, each new ship has cruised out of Port Canaveral; this doesn't mean the new ones will. Many of us really like the medium sized ships (Magic and Wonder) over the large ones. While they are not "medium" to DCL, this is how they are normally classed when looking at ships. And again, there are rumors about what will happen to them as the Magic now has more than 20 years in service. They have been better maintained than some other cruise lines. Again, we'll have to see. Based on size, they can go places that the big ships can't. And there is certainly enough world out there for DCL to keep 7 ships busy if they choose to do so....but not all in the US!

Personal preference (with NO insight) is that Japan loves all things Disney. An Asian presence could generate huge profits!

Just personal "advantage" for us. San Pedro/Long Beach is easier for us to get to. Sailing out of San Diego, we have to take the train (not all that reliable) or find someplace to leave our car while on the cruise. Since we tend to the longer cruises that isn't always that attractive an option.

Well, you the best of both with a one way cruise. Multiple sea days to lounge around and then spending time on Hawaii before flying back home.
What I was referring to is that instead of taking two or three days to cross the Pacific from the West coast you could fly it in about 9 hours and have an extra couple days in paradise. So the best of "both worlds" still only works if you'd prefer sea days over Hawaiian beaches. Personally, I'd take Hawaiian beaches and snorkeling with fish and turtles over a sea day, bit that might just be me.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Responding to several posts above, I agree with many of the thoughts. We are hopeful that DCL will ultimately choose to move some of the ships to various places around the world, rather than be complacent with the itineraries in the current offerings. Using the classic ships for that purpose would be what we would most like to see. Japan, Asia, Australia, South Pacific, South America, more in Europe and Canada would all be pluses for us.

We determined we would rather go to Aulani than do one of the Hawaiian itineraries. My wife also has concerns that the peaceful Pacific is not so peaceful for the Hawaiian itineraries! I would do it (likely back-to-back positioning from San Diego to Vancouver and over to Hawaii).

I understand Shmoo's point about getting to San Diego. We love the port area and its a great place to visit for a few days before a cruise. We are doing the EBPC cruise in a few weeks and so look forward to our two night in San Diego prior to the cruise. The Coaster (train) can take you pretty close to the cruise port, and you might consider paying to park at a hotel of which there are many near the port. We don't have tons of experience with the Coaster, so I defer to Shmoo as to its reliability.

Responding to several posts above, I agree with many of the thoughts. We are hopeful that DCL will ultimately choose to move some of the ships to various places around the world, rather than be complacent with the itineraries in the current offerings. Using the classic ships for that purpose would be what we would most like to see. Japan, Asia, Australia, South Pacific, South America, more in Europe and Canada would all be pluses for us.

We determined we would rather go to Aulani than do one of the Hawaiian itineraries. My wife also has concerns that the peaceful Pacific is not so peaceful for the Hawaiian itineraries! I would do it (likely back-to-back positioning from San Diego to Vancouver and over to Hawaii).

I understand Shmoo's point about getting to San Diego. We love the port area and its a great place to visit for a few days before a cruise. We are doing the EBPC cruise in a few weeks and so look forward to our two night in San Diego prior to the cruise. The Coaster (train) can take you pretty close to the cruise port, and you might consider paying to park at a hotel of which there are many near the port. We don't have tons of experience with the Coaster, so I defer to Shmoo as to its reliability.

Reference the bolded - that's not legal. You can't do a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver followed (on the same ship) by a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. It violates the PVSA.

Reference the bolded - that's not legal. You can't do a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver followed (on the same ship) by a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. It violates the PVSA.

Shmoo is correct as Canada does not qualify as a “distant foreign port” under the PVSA. My indication was I would like to do this but will not because of: (1) my wife doesn’t want to! and, now (2) the PVSA. I have researched PVSA before. For example, while Puerto Rico is US territory, cruises in and out of San Juan are exempt from the PVSA. This law goes back to President Grover Cleveland and, IMHO needs to be repealed. Think of the wonderful Pacific Coast cruises that could occur if foreign registered cruise ships could operate cruises that start and end at US ports! Instead, they go to Ensenada because of the PVSA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...