Snorkel, Great Stirrup Cay

mammajamma2013

We'll be there on Tues, Sept 11 on Norwegian Sky. I have snorkeled once (but had my hand held the whole time), my husband has never snorkeled.

The excursion description though the ship sounds as if it's equipment rental only, no guide. Do any of you know of a company that has a guide and can manage two newbies?

Thanks in advance!

We'll be there on Tues, Sept 11 on Norwegian Sky. I have snorkeled once (but had my hand held the whole time), my husband has never snorkeled.

The excursion description though the ship sounds as if it's equipment rental only, no guide. Do any of you know of a company that has a guide and can manage two newbies?

Thanks in advance!

If you don’t bring your own equipment you rent it from the snorkel desk on the beach. You don’t need someone to guide you. You just walk in from the beach. Basically hold your fins in your hands until you wade in enough to sit back in the water and then slip them on. Float around on your own. Right off the main beach they have some sunken items to attract fish. If you are not strong swimmers make sure to inflate your snorkel vest a bit. Do NOT stand on any coral—you will kill it. Float until you can stand on sand. Do NOT touch any coral or sponges or basically anything to insure you don’t get stung. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
If you don’t bring your own equipment you rent it from the snorkel desk on the beach. You don’t need someone to guide you. You just walk in from the beach. Basically hold your fins in your hands until you wade in enough to sit back in the water and then slip them on. Float around on your own. Right off the main beach they have some sunken items to attract fish. If you are not strong swimmers make sure to inflate your snorkel vest a bit. Do NOT stand on any coral—you will kill it. Float until you can stand on sand. Do NOT touch any coral or sponges or basically anything to insure you don’t get stung. Enjoy!

These are such great instructions! Thank you for taking the time to write them out. We did enjoy ourselves and were careful about where we stood and what we touched. Your instructions about how to put on our flippers are very helpful and we'll do that next time! This time we floundered around until we got it done.