Coffee/Cigars

Abear2

I was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of questions?

First, can we bring back coffee and if so, what do you recommend?

Second, would anyone be able to tell me a good cigar, but not too expensive, since I need to bring back a few to buy? Also, would they stay good in a ziplock bag until I get home or is there something else I should get to bring them back?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me with these questions!

I bought ground coffee and cigars at a store that we went to on my private car tour. The coffee was about 3.50 CUC, haven't tried it yet. (Can't remember the brand, it's in a blue bag and honestly, I am not sure how many types there are in Cuba)

I actually got an assortment of 6 cigars for around 40CUC. 3 mild, 3 medium. Montecristo, Cohiba and Romeo and Julieta. There was 1 of each, of each brand. My guide helped me choose the assortment and they do have some deals. Prices are set by the government but I think I saved some by getting 6. She also translated for me and made sure I was getting what I wanted. (I speak some Spanish, but I speak zero "cigar" :D)

They were in a cardboard sleeve. I wrapped them in some bags and then gave them to friends when I got home. In hindsight, probably should have gotten a box OR the little "humidor" tubes they had. Oh well. I did get a desiccant packet at a local cigar store when I got home to help keep them fresh while in transit.

• 2 weeks later...

I used oldcarshavana.com...they were excellent. And for the food tour, I used foodtourshavana.com. With the food tour, I did have to pay ahead, via Paypal (I think) and it was $79 USD. There were a total of 3 people from my ship on the tour. The limit is, I think 6 or so. Food Tours Havana has a sister company (and/or is owned by-at least in part), a US company which made prepayment in USD possible.

For the car tour, I had a hardtop with a/c, and a guide, as well as the driver. I believe it was $105CUC, payable in cash (CUC) at the end of the tour. My guide was Darlene and she was awesome.

In each case, the guide was at the appointed location early (I arrived early for each tour, at least 15 minutes, and the guides were waiting. ) For the car tour, Darlene actually called the driver and he arrived in a few minutes so we headed out before the appointed start time. I got my full 3 1/2 tour in and still had time for lunch afterward, and a little shopping!

I was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of questions?

First, can we bring back coffee and if so, what do you recommend?

Second, would anyone be able to tell me a good cigar, but not too expensive, since I need to bring back a few to buy? Also, would they stay good in a ziplock bag until I get home or is there something else I should get to bring them back?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me with these questions!

I read that these coffees are very good. Cubita, Escorial, or Serrano. Bags can be purchased at Cafe El Escorial on the corner of the square. Probably available many other places, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums