The Baths .... what's the big deal?

mcarney

Ok ... I'm going to ask it --- what's the big deal about The Baths? Am I missing something? Just a bunch of rock formations and the 'possibility' of snorkeling if the current isn't too rough .. I also hear it gets super crowded.

Please enlighten me ... we will be there in November and trying to find an excursion is frustrating as you know what.

TIA

• Like 1

You can see several YouTube videos showing the grottos, and find helpful details on the entire day in many threads here. it’s just an experience you probably won’t see elsewhere in the Carib. I would instead recommend it on a land-based visit when you have more control over the crowds, but that doesn’t help here...

As to other excursion options, if you research this forum you’ll find many excellent excursion choices, including snorkeling the Indians and Norman Caves, the cat to White Bay, Jost, a nice tour of Tortola with lunch at CGB and a tour of the Callwood distillery, not to mention the gorgeous beaches on Tortola like Brewers Bay, Long Bay (Beef Island), and Smuggler’s Cove (see the Gorgeous Beaches... thread), surf lessons, hiking, pub crawl, sharing the cost of a private boat charter with others on your roll call, many choices...

You can see several YouTube videos showing the grottos, and find helpful details on the entire day in many threads here. it’s just an experience you probably won’t see elsewhere in the Carib. I would instead recommend it on a land-based visit when you have more control over the crowds, but that doesn’t help here...

As to other excursion options, if you research this forum you’ll find many excellent excursion choices, including snorkeling the Indians and Norman Caves, the cat to White Bay, Jost, a nice tour of Tortola with lunch at CGB and a tour of the Callwood distillery, not to mention the gorgeous beaches on Tortola like Brewers Bay, Long Bay (Beef Island), and Smuggler’s Cove (see the Gorgeous Beaches... thread), surf lessons, hiking, pub crawl, sharing the cost of a private boat charter with others on your roll call, many choices...

Thank you ... those are all of the places that I've researched ... guess I'm just tired of looking (been booked since January 2017) ... unfortunately, Tortola is at the end of our cruise ports and most Poole are probably just wanting a relaxing day ... does Brewers Bay have chairs and umbrella rentals? My boyfriend is not a big sun person. Where are the surf lessons? That's something different for sure.

Yes I do understand! ;)

I haven’t been since the reopening, before there were inexpensive lounges, umbrellas I can’t remember. If no help from others there are lounge/umbrella rentals at CGB, just more people there too...

Check out this site to see if they are giving surf lessons in Josiah’s Bay -

http://www.surfschoolbvi.com/

Sorry I’m not more current... :)

Not yet, but someday! ;)

Love the island and the people.

I keep saying I'm moving to St. Thomas... you know the house that you overlook when going up the cable car ... the one that has a infinity pool ... we joke st work that will be my house one day 😊

I keep saying I'm moving to St. Thomas... you know the house that you overlook when going up the cable car ... the one that has a infinity pool ... we joke st work that will be my house one day

We built a vacation/retirement home in Mexico because my wife and I wanted more to do and see as well as the ability to travel easily from that base. But Tortola was my first choice and I plan to spend more time there down the road with luck.

We also looked at villas and condos on STT, if we bought there it would be on the East End, preferably on or close to Sapphire Beach. But the HOA fees at the oceanfront Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina condo property are a bit stiff for us so we would have to be over-looking Sapphire Beach. You have to rent aggressively to be able to keep a condo at SBRM unless of course you are rich, and we don’t have that problem!

Having a place anywhere in the Carib during the winter especially makes you feel blessed for sure!

Edited by blue_water
typo

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2018 at 2:42 PM, mcarney said:

Ok ... I'm going to ask it --- what's the big deal about The Baths? Am I missing something? Just a bunch of rock formations and the 'possibility' of snorkeling if the current isn't too rough .. I also hear it gets super crowded.

Please enlighten me ... we will be there in November and trying to find an excursion is frustrating as you know what.

TIA

Yes!  The Baths of Virgin Gorda are so well worth doing once just to see and experience for yourself.  👍