Google Allo works even without internet package on royal wifi

Gboard

Just came back from Harmony on sept 15-22

By accident, found that google Allo works for messaging even without internet package!

So can talk to each other on boat and friends/family like normal without paying

There is a known hole in the firewall on ships that use the Royal IQ app. We have been able to do similar on Anthem.

I don't understand how that is possible...of course I am an iPhone user so maybe I'm not privy to the fact that a google app will work without data or wifi...I'm intrigued.

Of course it is using WiFi and data. The OP is saying it works without paying for the WiFi.

I don't understand how that is possible...of course I am an iPhone user

Well the good news for you is.... iMessenger will work over the WiFi without having to pay as well. But only iPhone to iPhone. So you wont be able to text non-iPhone users (like me!) but it worked for my friend our whole sailing on Harmony.

Just came back from Harmony on sept 15-22

By accident, found that google Allo works for messaging even without internet package!

So can talk to each other on boat and friends/family like normal without paying

Does it only work for texting using Google Allo, or also for talking / phoning via Google Duo?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

On the Harmony in December 2016, I continually received email on my WiFi-only iPad and had not signed up for internet service. I took the iPad to Guest Services to show them and verify that I was not going to receive a huge bill later. They said that if I had not set up an account I would not be charged and not to worry about it.

That happened to me on Oceania Cruises (confirmed a glitch by Oceania), but then when I took a sailing with Celebrity a few months later, I could not replicate what I had done to get iMessage for free. I thought it must have been a glitch in Oceania's system. I have not tried again on any cruises.

Please refresh my memory on how to place my settings on my iPad. I have a certain amount of data every month on it, so I certainly do not want to get connected to that while out at sea. :eek:

That happened to me on Oceania Cruises (confirmed a glitch by Oceania), but then when I took a sailing with Celebrity a few months later, I could not replicate what I had done to get iMessage for free. I thought it must have been a glitch in Oceania's system. I have not tried again on any cruises.

Please refresh my memory on how to place my settings on my iPad. I have a certain amount of data every month on it, so I certainly do not want to get connected to that while out at sea. :eek:

Just turn airplane mode on and keep Wi-Fi off if it scares you. If you 'accidentally' end up connecting to the Wi-Fi and it works without paying, they aren't going to track you down and charge you.