Port of San Antonio, Chile

somanyplacestogo

Has anyone disembarked in the Port of San Antonio, Chile, since the switch from Valparaíso? We will be arriving there on Dec 8th and need to be at the airport in Santiago for a 12:05pm Flight. No time to waste. Since this is a port change we are wondering how efficient things will be. Is there transportation at the exit from the ship? We’ve been told you get on a bus and go to immigration area before exiting. Other posts say there is transportation when you exit ship. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone disembarked in the Port of San Antonio, Chile, since the switch from Valparaíso? We will be arriving there on Dec 8th and need to be at the airport in Santiago for a 12:05pm Flight. No time to waste. Since this is a port change we are wondering how efficient things will be. Is there transportation at the exit from the ship? We’ve been told you get on a bus and go to immigration area before exiting. Other posts say there is transportation when you exit ship. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't answer your question but: what a shame that you may not get to experience Valpo - one of the most interesting cities in South America.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sure hope that is a domestic flight (within Chile or bordering Patagonian nations).

Because for an international flight you absolutely have to be at SCL 3-3.5 hours before. The check in lines stretch the entire length of the concourse.

Flight is Copa Air, First Class, to Quito through Panama City.

Aside from Panama City, Copa flies from SCL to Colombia, Venezuela and several Caribbean islands.

So only International check-in at the Copa counter. Which according to their website is suggested at least three hours before take-off. I looked for any specific absolute cut-off times for checking bags but Copa website does not have such an airport-specific list that many other carriers do. Other than the typical must be at the boarding gate 45 minutes before your flight.

When I disembarked in Valparaiso a few years ago the first group off the ship was not through Customs and able to access ground transportation until nearly 9:00. Sure hope you get a better report from someone recently off in San Antonio. Google maps puts the driving time from San Antonio at 1:20 which is virtually identical to from the old port.

(EDIT: noting you are flying first class, assuming a separate priority check-in will be your saving grace)

Edited by fishywood

Thanks for the feedback. We have transport at the ship waiting at 7am, knowing we are not sure of time we will actually be cleared. We will be in 1st group to disembark so I am holding positive thoughts it will be easy. Also have a back up plan which is not at all appealing, so fingers crossed.