Cell phones and roaming charges

Lionheartbella

Hello! First timer here. Cruising to the Bahamas next week on carnival ecstasy. I have an At& T phone. How do I avoid international charges when I turn the phone on for the camera or apps? Also, what do you guys think of getting the international Day pass via at& t for calls and texts? Thanks for any help!

I have AT&T and used the international pass on our last trip. As you note we could use it on the days we wanted and on other days not sure it and not get charged.

I keep the data off when I don't want charges and you can keep airplane mode on.

Keith

Most certain way to avoid roaming charges is turn on airplane mode. If you need to use Wifi, after going into airplane mode, turn on WiFi.

Another approach is to turn off roaming.

I'm not familiar with AT&T, you may want to verify that cruise ships at sea are included in the "international day pass". Some carriers put ships at sea in a separate category.

Put it in airplane mode before you leave. Also, if your phone supports it, while within cell coverage, turn on Wifi Calling. That way you can text and call using wifi. But it has to be enabled BEFORE you travel.

ATT plan used to charge $30 or more per 30 day period for international roaming. That gave you a small amount of data, unlimited texting, and $1 per minute calling. For $60, you got more data, and 50 cents per minute calling.

I switched to T-mobile due a lot of international travel. No charge, unlimited texting and data, and 20 cents per minute calling.

ATT plans do not work onboard. You’ll need an onboard internet plan.

Call prices are per minute. On Carnival, Cellular at Sea is $2.49/minute. Calling from your Cabin phone is $1.99/minute. Different cruiselines have different pricing.

Make sure Bermuda is one of the countries in the Day Pass List, not all are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums