Amber Cove Damajagua Waterfalls

DADDYOFTHE7SEAZ

I would like to know if anyone has tried The Damajagua Falls thru Carnival? They have it listed as 4hrs. My question is how accurate is the 4hrs and how much time do you truly have once back at the port? The Port sounds great to just hang out, but I have never been here and didn't travel this far just to sit at Port. Would like to do the Falls and be back to enjoy the Port Area a couple of hours. Is This possible?

Have not yet been to Damajagua Falls but plan to go when we stop in Amber Cove in the Fall of '18.

From what I have read, this is one of the top 10 natural tourist sites in the Caribbean.

There are 27 "falls" (not all are falls). To experience all 27 requires 4 hours on site, including a long hike of over an hour up to the top (significant climb - need to be in decent shape). You can also opt to do just 12 of the waterfalls (which takes 3 hours). or just the bottom 7. The cruise ship excursion ONLY does the bottom 7 falls.

According to what I have read, if you take the ship excursion, you should be back at the cruise port within 4.5 hours. If you wish to do the full 27 falls, there are companies which will pick you up just outside Amber Cove, but you will not be back for about 6.5 hours.

We are trying to figure out which way we will go - ship excursion and back in 4.5, or do the full deal and be back basically in time to board the ship.

Don

• Like 1

Don,

I'm looking at an independent operator (iguana mama) that offers 12 falls in 5 hours. It's cheaper than the ship excursion and offers 5 more falls. Their website says they typically leave 1 hour after arrival which means I would be back 2 hours for departure or 1 hour before all aboard. Check it out and see if it will work for you.

Have fun!

Mary Jon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Heads up - Shore Excursioneer is advertising the same excursion as Carnival for $59.99 and the Carnival excursion is $104. You can book through Carnival and file a claim for the price protection guarantee for 110% on board credit for the difference. Our claim was granted and we were given $49 on board credit for the price difference. However, after further research, we are going to cancel our Carnival excursion reservation and book directly with DSRR bus rentals so we can do all 27 falls.

• 2 weeks later...
heads up - shore excursioneer is advertising the same excursion as carnival for $59.99 and the carnival excursion is $104. You can book through carnival and file a claim for the price protection guarantee for 110% on board credit for the difference. Our claim was granted and we were given $49 on board credit for the price difference. However, after further research, we are going to cancel our carnival excursion reservation and book directly with dsrr bus rentals so we can do all 27 falls.

thank you!

Heads up - Shore Excursioneer is advertising the same excursion as Carnival for $59.99 and the Carnival excursion is $104. You can book through Carnival and file a claim for the price protection guarantee for 110% on board credit for the difference. Our claim was granted and we were given $49 on board credit for the price difference. However, after further research, we are going to cancel our Carnival excursion reservation and book directly with DSRR bus rentals so we can do all 27 falls.

Question, how do you go about this? I see that on Shore Excursioneer, there is a similar excursion listed for my ship, but it has a different name. How will they know it's the same one, but cheaper? Thanks!

Question, how do you go about this? I see that on Shore Excursioneer, there is a similar excursion listed for my ship, but it has a different name. How will they know it's the same one, but cheaper? Thanks!

This is the shore excursion offered by Carnival for my trip.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove-dominican-republic/waterfalls-of-damajagua-adrenaline-adventure-445108?b=4B6D46585352394C78666F583379346C6A43696973413D3D

This is the shore excursioneer excursion that I used for my price match guarantee claim.

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/amber-cove/damajagua-waterfalls.html

All I did was use the price match guarantee claim form with Carnival here

https://www.carnival.com/request-forms/shore-excursion-best-price-guarantee.aspx

You do have to book the Carnival excursion first and then fill out the form. If they approve the claim, they will send you an email confirming that you have been awarded an on board credit for 110% of the price difference. Note: If you have other excursions booked with Carnival, this will bundle all of your excursions and you will no longer be able to cancel another reservation without cancelling all of them - including the newly discounted reservation.

This is the shore excursion offered by Carnival for my trip.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove-dominican-republic/waterfalls-of-damajagua-adrenaline-adventure-445108?b=4B6D46585352394C78666F583379346C6A43696973413D3D

This is the shore excursioneer excursion that I used for my price match guarantee claim.

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/amber-cove/damajagua-waterfalls.html

All I did was use the price match guarantee claim form with Carnival here

https://www.carnival.com/request-forms/shore-excursion-best-price-guarantee.aspx

You do have to book the Carnival excursion first and then fill out the form. If they approve the claim, they will send you an email confirming that you have been awarded an on board credit for 110% of the price difference. Note: If you have other excursions booked with Carnival, this will bundle all of your excursions and you will no longer be able to cancel another reservation without cancelling all of them - including the newly discounted reservation.

Perfect, these were both the ones I found as well, thanks! I just got an email saying they accepted my claim, but we were only granted $38.99 a person. I wonder why it was less than yours?

Perfect, these were both the ones I found as well, thanks! I just got an email saying they accepted my claim, but we were only granted $38.99 a person. I wonder why it was less than yours?

I'm not sure. I'd definitely ask if the prices are the same as they were for mine. The Carnival excursion was $104 for my cruise and the shore excursioneer was $59. So 110% of the difference was $49.50. I found the shore excursion department to be very helpful and responded to my email inquiries very quickly. Here is the letter they sent me:

Response By Email (02/28/2018 01:40 PM)

Hello Tammy,

Thank you for submitting a Shore Excursions Best Price Guarantee claim.

We are excited to inform you that your claim was accepted and your account will have an onboard credit of $49.50 per person. You may print out this email for your records and proof of this onboard credit which will only show once aboard the ship.

Doesn't it feel great to book your excursions knowing you got the best price?

Scott

Carnival Cruise Line | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178

I'm not sure. I'd definitely ask if the prices are the same as they were for mine. The Carnival excursion was $104 for my cruise and the shore excursioneer was $59. So 110% of the difference was $49.50. I found the shore excursion department to be very helpful and responded to my email inquiries very quickly. Here is the letter they sent me:

Response By Email (02/28/2018 01:40 PM)

Hello Tammy,

Thank you for submitting a Shore Excursions Best Price Guarantee claim.

We are excited to inform you that your claim was accepted and your account will have an onboard credit of $49.50 per person. You may print out this email for your records and proof of this onboard credit which will only show once aboard the ship.

Doesn't it feel great to book your excursions knowing you got the best price?

Scott

Carnival Cruise Line | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178

Yea it's all the same prices. I sent them an email back to inquire about it. Thanks for all the help!

My family did all 27 waterfalls last week, and I estimate that we were onsite about 4 hours from drop off to pick up by taxi. The hike itself was 45 minutes and well worth it. We paid $100 USD round trip for a taxi and about $14 USD per person for the tour. We did not purchase the lunch.

I’m so glad that we did all 27. We had the first 15 to ourselves, and when we hit the wall of people at 12 (there had to be over 100 people waiting in line for their turn to jump), our guides led us to the front of the line. Here are some pictures.

IMG_3115.thumb.jpg.c6cdded24891b3ac8d246513d16ec62f.jpg

IMG_3116.thumb.jpg.bc6db3fb1e8ab5abf883d0c41d7fbdc9.jpg

IMG_3119.thumb.jpg.2601c0937ff59eccdd97489b9f43d436.jpg

IMG_3121.thumb.jpg.8820f1e72c0758f3f47fed4bd2acc3e5.jpg

IMG_3122.thumb.jpg.a6e09a80f6b186c9dcba569f6f1cef1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family did all 27 waterfalls last week, and I estimate that we were onsite about 4 hours from drop off to pick up by taxi. The hike itself was 45 minutes and well worth it. We paid $100 USD round trip for a taxi and about $14 USD per person for the tour. We did not purchase the lunch.

I’m so glad that we did all 27. We had the first 15 to ourselves, and when we hit the wall of people at 12 (there had to be over 100 people waiting in line for their turn to jump), our guides led us to the front of the line. Here are some pictures.

[ATTACH]417445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]417446[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]417447[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]417448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]417449[/ATTACH]

Great pictures! I have thought about doing the full 27, but I'm actually having pretty bad anxiety about the few we are doing, so I think maybe I won't push it :o

Was the hike very sunny? I'm debating if I need to bring a hat. Though I suppose I can always put my helmet on for some of the hike.

We don't cruise for another 7 months, but I have already reserved the ship excursion. But it only does the first 7 watercourses. I booked it only because it is straightforward.

We would like to do the full 27, am just not sure of the options as to how to go about this. Maybe the taxi idea is best? I saw something about a charter bus, but you need a group for that I would imagine.

Anyway, will keep thinking on this and hopefully switch to the full experience as we get closer.

Thanks for the pictures and the info presented so far.

Don

Great pictures! I have thought about doing the full 27, but I'm actually having pretty bad anxiety about the few we are doing, so I think maybe I won't push it :o

Was the hike very sunny? I'm debating if I need to bring a hat. Though I suppose I can always put my helmet on for some of the hike.

I was very nervous too, for myself and my three kids ages 18, 14 and 9. My 18 y/o didn’t want to get wet. Ha! As a beach bum, this wasn’t her preferred excursion, but she kept up and enjoyed herself, opting for the easier route a few times. My 14 y/o is scared of heights but did it all without hesitation. He said that if he would have thought about it too long, he would’ve chickened out once or twice. My 9 y/o did great but opted for the easier route occasionally with his sister. I had a lot of anxiety just getting into the water at first, but I’m so glad that we overcame our fears.

No need for a hat. The trail is very shaded. You’re only exposed to the sun when you cross the river, and after that, the sun just peaks through the trees every now and then. Don’t bring anything you don’t want to have completely submerged. Good luck!

We don't cruise for another 7 months, but I have already reserved the ship excursion. But it only does the first 7 watercourses. I booked it only because it is straightforward.

We would like to do the full 27, am just not sure of the options as to how to go about this. Maybe the taxi idea is best? I saw something about a charter bus, but you need a group for that I would imagine.

Anyway, will keep thinking on this and hopefully switch to the full experience as we get closer.

Thanks for the pictures and the info presented so far.

Don

The taxi option was very simple, and I highly recommend all 27. We all agreed afterwards that if we had been in that line of 100+ people just standing around waiting, it wouldn’t have been worth it to us. And not all of the waterfalls are large enough to jump or slide. Many you just walk through or over. You won’t actually jump or slide down 7 waterfalls.

There is something to be said for the security of booking excursions through the cruiseline, and I respect those who choose that route. It’s just not for us. We would have paid Carnival $490, but we got a much better experience for under $175.

Hi, sorry if I missed it, who did you book the tour with?

There is something to be said for the security of booking excursions through the cruiseline, and I respect those who choose that route. It’s just not for us. We would have paid Carnival $490, but we got a much better experience for under $175.

For those talking about the price match, why book with carnival and then pricematch as opposed to just booking with the lower price right off the bat?

Booking directly with the ship does give some protection, as in, if the tour is delayed for any reason getting back to the ship they will wait for you; weather prevents you from going to the island, you def get back the money you paid, etc.

Sometimes it's fine to book on your own, and sometimes outside sources have more benefits, but it's not always a bad idea to book direct from the ship!

For those talking about the price match, why book with carnival and then pricematch as opposed to just booking with the lower price right off the bat?

Besides the security of not being left behind in the event the excursion runs late, if you use Carnival's credit card to pre-book your excursion, they automatically refund 10% back to the card. Plus, if the excursion is booked through Carnival and is cancelled, they will credit your onboard account and you can either select a different excursion or use it for something else.

Hi, sorry if I missed it, who did you book the tour with?

No tour company. We walked out of the port area where taxi drivers were waiting. We agreed to a price of $100 round trip, and we paid the driver after we were returned to the cruise port. He was waiting for us at the falls when we finished. The waterfalls were about $14 USD per person, and we were assigned two guides who we tipped at the end. The company tried to sell us a photo package, but I brought my own water camera that one guide carried the entire time and filled with pictures and videos of my entire family.

• Like 1