Cuba recommendations

grest

I haven't been yet (cruise to Cuba is not until March) but over at the Cuba page, there are good sized threads about private excursions that people have really enjoyed. Like Blexie and HavanaCar. You might want to check it out.

We did the Overnight Havana cruise on the Paradise in May and would recommend the Hemingway excursion. It goes out into the countryside so you can get a feeling of the overwhelming poverty in Cuba. It was interesting and meets the requirement for the People to People rules.

Most important thing- don't do any cruise excursions. They are wayyyy overpriced and too sterile. Support the Cuban People by doing private tours instead. I've used several different local tour companies in Havana over multiple trips. My favorite was I Love Cuba Photo Tours. They really go above and beyond, and will customize any type of tour/day you want (no pre-set itineraries you have to choose from). They are also photographers, and are the #1 local tour company on TripAdvisor for a reason. You can find them by name on Facebook or email the owner Yosel at yoselvazquez@yahoo.com.

I echo the comments in favor of local tour companies. We used FerTours when in Cuba last summer, and completely recommend them. They offer multiple tours and are willing to customize for your schedule. If your day allows, make sure to have them reserve a lunch for you at one of the many local palador restaurants in Havana. I wrote a separate review of our excursion in the Cuba board. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
We did the Overnight Havana cruise on the Paradise in May and would recommend the Hemingway excursion. It goes out into the countryside so you can get a feeling of the overwhelming poverty in Cuba. It was interesting and meets the requirement for the People to People rules.

Any chance you could scan and post your FunTimes from the May cruise? Ken