Help with Family Cruise with 3 Year Old and (sort of) paranoid mom

handbellplayer

I got my kids a balcony cabin for the same reason.

Actually it was my dil who insisted.

My husband and I are in and inside!

But' date=' if your dil hasn't expressed any concerns yet, try not to worry.

Enjoy![/quote']

Thank you!

Handbellplayer,

First, what an amazing gift you are giving your family. I would print everything out about the cabin and safety measures and present it to your DIL now. If for some reason she feels uncomfortable with a balcony, I would offer to switch her room to an inside cabin across the hall from your other cabins. Many times the interiors are almost same square feet size as a balcony cabin. Bring a baby monitor and the parents can enjoy socializing in someone else's cabin as their daughter naps or sleeps at night in the Interior cabin. Also, bring a stroller and baby carrier. I have enjoyed many evenings (shows, music, walking around) around a ship while my child slept on my chest in their carrier. Yes, I would carry my three year old in their carrier. Many toddler carriers are sized for up to 50lbs.

Personally, I would ask her now so if she is fearful or worried about a balcony, you have ample time to find an accommodating interior room. You do not want her to be in a state of fear and worry during an enjoyable trip. Put the ball in her court.

So here's why I need help - my DIL, who is a wonderful mom, worries about everything. (Her first question about this cruise was whether it would be during hurricane season.)

I'm pretty sure DIL's first reaction will be that the three year old - who IS quite the climber - will fall over the balcony rail. I know how high the balcony rails are, and that no child has EVER fallen over, but can y'all help me prepare for her objections? Honestly, this is a woman that is worried sick that the baby will be grabbed by a stranger at the professional baseball game we're going to for our family vacation this summer.

sounds like you roll your eyes at your DIL a LOT and don't like her too much either. She is just being a mom with a 3 yo kid.

We don't cruise in the summer because it's a hurricane season, so she is correct there.

We didn't get a balcony until the kid was 6. And he is still not allowed on the balcony if there is no adult present. He can open balcony doors very easily.

And yes, some kid fell to her death on a Carnival cruise over the foyer railing.

I too worry about somebody kidnapping my kid. When he was 2-3 yo, his favorite game was "run away from mommy" and he'd be gone in a blink of an eye. And if you think there are no predators on a cruise or at a baseball game - think again.

Bring a baby monitor and the parents can enjoy socializing in someone else's cabin as their daughter naps or sleeps at night in the Interior cabin.
that wouldn't work for my family. One of us was always with the kid, especially at 3.

• 2 weeks later...