Clothes Steamer and Hair Straightener on QM2?

CynthiaRI

I was just reading a review that posed another question. I know there are irons in the laundry rooms. But am I allowed to bring a steamer with my to use in my room? Or is that against the rules? Also, I assume I may bring a hair straightener? So for the questions! Thanks!

I bring a steamer and curling iron and do not have any problems. If you bring an iron it probably will be taken away from you. Just so you know also you can bring alcohol on board. You will find Cunard treats their passengers as adults.

I bring a steamer and curling iron and do not have any problems. If you bring an iron it probably will be taken away from you. Just so you know also you can bring alcohol on board. You will find Cunard treats their passengers as adults. And I always tell people if you want to make coffee in your room bring your own such as coffee bags the instant coffee they provide taste horrible.

I bring a steamer and curling iron and do not have any problems. If you bring an iron it probably will be taken away from you. Just so you know also you can bring alcohol on board. You will find Cunard treats their passengers as adults. And I always tell people if you want to make coffee in your room bring your own such as coffee bags the instant coffee they provide taste horrible.

Or buy the Rombouts single cup filters that make a smashing cup of coffee with no problems. We get them at Tesco.

Peter and Jenny

I was just reading a review that posed another question. I know there are irons in the laundry rooms. But am I allowed to bring a steamer with my to use in my room? Or is that against the rules? Also, I assume I may bring a hair straightener? So for the questions! Thanks!

Could you share the brand of travel steamer that you have? I've tried one that had very disappointing results.

I have two different ones at home but I feel the best one for travel is one I got from Walmart. It is very cheap but works great. The brandname is " Mainstays Handheld Steamer" you can buy it off the Walmart site for $12.99. My suggestion is when you put water in it do not fill it to where the maximun line is always fill it slightly below the line otherwise hot water may spit out and you will get burned. I had it right in my carry on bag and no problem getting it thru the xray along with my curling iron. You may want to bring an extension cord to use with it.

I have two different ones at home but I feel the best one for travel is one I got from Walmart. It is very cheap but works great. The brandname is " Mainstays Handheld Steamer" you can buy it off the Walmart site for $12.99. My suggestion is when you put water in it do not fill it to where the maximun line is always fill it slightly below the line otherwise hot water may spit out and you will get burned. I had it right in my carry on bag and no problem getting it thru the xray along with my curling iron. You may want to bring an extension cord to use with it.

Thank you Jeffrey1950. I will make a shopping trip to Walmart to purchase.

Cunard is quite generous in allowing for example hair straighteners. Several other items are not allowed, including a number of items some people on this board like to bring or even recommend to bring.

In the section "Safety aboard" the rules are given.

"Passengers are not permitted to bring onboard irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted. Electrical chargers, adaptors and e-cigarette charging devices are to be CE marked and should not be left unattended or left charging overnight or when the cabin is unoccupied. Personal Extension Leads are not permitted onboard unless to be used with essential medical equipment (e.g. CPAP and nebuliser machines). These will be checked for electrical safety along with your piece of medical equipment prior to sailing. Surge protected extension leads are not accepted in any circumstances as they interfere with the ship's electrical distribution."

Before I took my steamer I called Cunard and was told no problem in bringing it in on and I made no attempt to hide it. It was right in my carry on bag. Nothing was said but I am sure if it were an iron it would have been taken away.

Cuna

In the section "Safety aboard" the rules are given.

"...Passengers are not permitted to bring onboard irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements..."

My partner and I are beginning an extended trip to the US with a TA on QM2. We always travel with a kettle and a heating coil. (Tea and boiled eggs are then always available in a pinch, no matter wherever we are.)

So, where do we keep these while on board?

Having lived in the UK I do know what you are referring to regarding the coil I used to use one when travelling. You can buy them in the USA I have seen them as for heating water for tea/coffee there will be a kettle in your room for boiling water.

Just to clarify...

We will be in the US for about 8 weeks after our TA. We've already got a nice US kettle and coil from previous visits. My partner doesn't see the logic of buying then again, nor do I.

We're not worried about the time on board. Just want to know where we can deposit/store them for the duration of the crossing.

Interesting thread. I have one particular dress which DH loves to see me wear, however, I only have to look at it and it creases so I've never packed it for a cruise. I've toyed with the idea of buying a steamer but thought they were banned across all cruise lines so haven't bothered but if Cunard do allow them then I may think again.

But

As part of our upcoming cruise we will be spending a week on the Regal Princess and as I understand it, they don't allow steamers; so what do I do with it for the week?

Just to clarify...

We will be in the US for about 8 weeks after our TA. We've already got a nice US kettle and coil from previous visits. My partner doesn't see the logic of buying then again, nor do I.

We're not worried about the time on board. Just want to know where we can deposit/store them for the duration of the crossing.

All you need to do is put them on the shelf in one of the closets.

Interesting thread. I have one particular dress which DH loves to see me wear, however, I only have to look at it and it creases so I've never packed it for a cruise. I've toyed with the idea of buying a steamer but thought they were banned across all cruise lines so haven't bothered but if Cunard do allow them then I may think again.

But

As part of our upcoming cruise we will be spending a week on the Regal Princess and as I understand it, they don't aion yllow steamers; so what do I do with it for the week?[/quote

Trust me if you use a little imagination you will find a way !!!