Queen Mary 2 cabin 6258

Jeffrey1950

Hello:

I was in a sheltered balcony on deck six last year and loved it. I am now booked again in a sheltered balcony ( 6258 ) for this year has anyone been in this cabin and can give me their view on how good it was for location.

Thanks!!

Hi,

We were on the Southampton-Fremantle segment this year in stateroom 6252, two doors forward of 6258. The location couldn't have been better, giving quick access to those parts of the ship we used the most: the promenade deck, King's Court and MDR. The D staircase will take one to the Britannia Club entrance to the MDR on Deck 2, nice if one just wishes to duck in from the back ;) One can easily walk forward along Deck 6 to access the C stairwell, useful when the aft section of King's Court is closed in the evening for the specialty dinners and when the deck is too windy to walk outdoors.

Go for 6258!

Hi,

We were on the Southampton-Fremantle segment this year in stateroom 6252, two doors forward of 6258. The location couldn't have been better, giving quick access to those parts of the ship we used the most: the promenade deck, King's Court and MDR. The D staircase will take one to the Britannia Club entrance to the MDR on Deck 2, nice if one just wishes to duck in from the back ;) One can easily walk forward along Deck 6 to access the C stairwell, useful when the aft section of King's Court is closed in the evening for the specialty dinners and when the deck is too windy to walk outdoors.

Go for 6258!

Thank you I really liked deck six last year so I think it may work out even better for me this year. I am so ready for this trip and love having a sheltered balcony. Am looking to maybe get another trip in before the one that I already have booked but that depends on work . Thank you for taking the time to reply !!

We're on Deck 6 as well, but the other side - 6251. What did you love about the Sheltered Balcony? We are very excited, but hear complaints. I truly think some people won't be happy no matter what, but would love to hear your comments!

We have always had a glass-fronted balcony on higher decks, but we were also very happy with the sheltered (as well as its being a bit cheaper).

The cons:

• Somewhat darker in the stateroom

• One cannot see the ocean from the stateroom or when sitting down on the balcony (would be nice if Cunard would furnish these balconies with tall barstools ;)

The pros:

• Sheltered balconies give a feeling of more privacy

• Protection from wind, rain and sun

• One is closer to the ocean surface

• Somewhat lower in price

We would definitely book a sheltered balcony on future cruises.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

We're on Deck 6 as well, but the other side - 6251. What did you love about the Sheltered Balcony? We are very excited, but hear complaints. I truly think some people won't be happy no matter what, but would love to hear your comments!

I found it much better than a normal balcony. Yes, it is true that you cannot see the water but when I wanted to I just pulled the table over a bit and sat on that of course I put a towel on it first. It is like having an extra room. The first night out of New york last November I was sitting out in the balcony about 10 PM I probably would not have done that with a regular balcony. You are sheilded from wind and rain. And great for hanging up any clothes you want to wash by hand. It is very private I just cannot say enough good things about it. I will always go for one now that I have experinced them. I will make a suggestion to you if you want to make coffee in your room bring some coffee bags with you the instant coffee they provide is so disgusting. Maybe some Air Freshener also to freshen the room up a bit. I sail for thirteen days again this year and those things are on my list. I hope you enjoy your cabin as much as I know I will enjoy mine.

I found it much better than a normal balcony. Yes, it is true that you cannot see the water but when I wanted to I just pulled the table over a bit and sat on that of course I put a towel on it first. It is like having an extra room. The first night out of New york last November I was sitting out in the balcony about 10 PM I probably would not have done that with a regular balcony. You are sheilded from wind and rain. And great for hanging up any clothes you want to wash by hand. It is very private I just cannot say enough good things about it. I will always go for one now that I have experinced them. I will make a suggestion to you if you want to make coffee in your room bring some coffee bags with you the instant coffee they provide is so disgusting. Maybe some Air Freshener also to freshen the room up a bit. I sail for thirteen days again this year and those things are on my list. I hope you enjoy your cabin as much as I know I will enjoy mine.

Thanks for the rec. Added air freshener to the list! Now to work on coffee for my mom. :-) What size coffee machines are in the room?

The "coffee machines" are actually water kettles. I took Nescafé with me from Sweden (the very strong kind :) as I always do on my travels, and was very pleased not to have to go out in the morning as on previous Cunard cruises just to get hot water.

Guess one could also take a coffee presser with ground coffee. Real milk in small packages is provided, though.

Another plus for the sheltered balconies is that they are larger than the glass-fronted ones.

You can use coffee bags just like tea bags- Maxwell House and Folgers do them. They are the best to bring.

Perfect. Thank you! Neither my DH nor I drink coffee, so I wouldn't know where to even start. This will be just what my mom needs.

You may want to comsider taking some extra hangers with you or asking for some on the ship.By the way bath robes and slippers are provided so no need to pack those. Room service is very good and it is not a golden rule to tip for room service like other cruise lines.

You may want to comsider taking some extra hangers with you or asking for some on the ship.By the way bath robes and slippers are provided so no need to pack those. Room service is very good and it is not a golden rule to tip for room service like other cruise lines.

Thanks for all of the helpful tips! These are so appreciated!

Thanks for all of the helpful tips! These are so appreciated!

Glad to help....by the way take some small plastic bags we call them zip locks here in the US. Handy to have some in case you would like to bring some fruit or something back to your cabin. They have nice toiletries in the bathroom fpr your use also. If you go onto "you tube" you can see a lot on there such as an idea what the cabins are like.

• 3 months later...

Just curious about sheltered balconies on deck 6 ----- are there any particular stateroom areas to avoid due to possible noise issues from deck 7.....promenade issues, Kings Court, etc.

Also, which would be the best areas for deck 6 cabins for those who have stayed in these?

Thanks

We were in 6258 aft, directly under the promenade deck, and were never bothered by noise. As I noted in my previous posts in this thread (please read them ;)), this location was extremely convenient to those parts of the ship we most often visited.

I would think that any cabin on Deck 6 would be satisfactory from a noise point of view…