Dress shoes for men ?

VBmermaid

I'm not aware that HaveDogWillTravel requested advice, but merely offered support, with an example from a previous trip. I suspect that any concerns were dealt with previously.

- Mark

Yes Mark you are correct. I am not looking for advice and was definitely trying to be supportive. Thank you for your kind words.

Jacqueline

I have seen the film, but what did I miss?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

WOW

how do you miss this point?

early in the movie is a comment about no one noticing a man's shoes …..

in the escape event the warden gives him the bag of 'what nots' to be cleaned

and shoes to be polished

and then when slipping the bible into the safe while extracting the paperwork he needs, swaps his prison boots for the polished dress shoes of the warden

THEN when he went into the banks after the escape he was in the warden's suit and polished shoes …..

I wear comfortable black dress shoes that can do double-duty during my travels, such as with black jeans. And I usually wear them during transfers and plane flights to keep the luggage as light as possible...it's still way too heavy and cumbersome. My other pair of shoes are athletic used for long walks and in the fitness center. Wish that I could be as smart about the rest of my packing as I am about my shoes.

This may be legal, but it is very much frowned upon.

Remember: "A Gentleman is a person who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't."

That said: I usually get through a voyage with two pairs of shoes. Dress shoes and light hiking shoes.

It is possible to get through seven nights with just one dark suit. Nobody will comment on this. But then again, why not buy a white dinner jacket or a tux beforehand?

Oh, and it's not a cruise but a crossing. But this fact will be brought to your attention by the staff of Cunard LINE about three times a day.

That bit with the Bagpipes was attributed to WC Fields. In his case it was a Saxophone, not Bagpipes.

My husband has a pair or black semi shiny shoes so were good enough for formal and still looked good on informal nights. I have just come off the 10th June TA QM2 and spotted a gentleman wearing big chunky trainers/sneakers on the ballroom floor on a formal night. He had on light coloured trousers too. Maybe he has a foot problem and can't wear a formal shoe but even so, they were light in colour. I will add no one seemed to care and I spotted no fainting by the clothes police either. It did irritate me though ;)

My husband has a pair or black semi shiny shoes so were good enough for formal and still looked good on informal nights. I have just come off the 10th June TA QM2 and spotted a gentleman wearing big chunky trainers/sneakers on the ballroom floor on a formal night. He had on light coloured trousers too. Maybe he has a foot problem and can't wear a formal shoe but even so, they were light in colour. I will add no one seemed to care and I spotted no fainting by the clothes police either. It did irritate me though ;)
Perhaps it was a Coco the clown themed night,lol.

I have followed this thread with interest as I have often wondered how a person can go to the trouble to dress in formal attire and then spoil their appearance by wearing a pair of unsuitable shoes.

May I add to the debate by suggesting that dress shoes shoes should be accompanied by dress socks.

May I add to the debate by suggesting that dress shoes shoes should be accompanied by dress socks.

I do not believe the dress code either requires or requests socks of any description.

Similar omissions have been the bane of every legislative or rulemaking body throughout human history.

I do not believe the dress code either requires or requests socks of any description.

Similar omissions have been the bane of every legislative or rulemaking body throughout human history.

I did not mean to suggest that dress socks should be a compulsory part of the dress code merely that when sitting down they ensure a gentleman does not expose his bare leg unintentionally.

• 2 weeks later...
Please report your finding at the end of your trip.😉

We just got back yesterday.

As it turns out DH never wore his slippers lol.

We had two 28 in, two 25 in one 21 in bag and a backpack of iPads, chargers and headphones. We packed for a 9 day post cruise as well.

We shipped all of the cruise clothes back on white star and it turns out the cruise clothes took up two 28 in bags and one 25 in bag for a total 150 pounds. If we do it again I’d still take it all. We wore everything (except DH slippers). I liked having choices and not running out of clothes. We had plenty of closet space. We nested the bags and they fit under the bed. We did have to lift the edge of the bed up to get them under though.

Next time I’d actually bring another suit and one more floor length gown. I brought 3 floor length gowns and 1 tea length. We had 5 formal nights over 14 days.

On decks 2 and 3 everyone was dressed quite well. It was so wonderful. Loved the Queen’s Room balls. Never saw a single person in jeans or without a suit and tie walking through to get to G32 on formal night.

The only thing I’d do different is budget for white star service both to the ship and back.