Drinking cups for a 4 and 3 year old?

GeorgiaMomof4

Hey everyone!

Although we have cruised many times with children this is our first cruise with ones this little.

Our oldest children were 9 and 7 (now 23 and 21) when they went on their first cruise and our newly

adopted boys are taking their first cruise at 3 and 4.

I already know I'm going to have my hands full at the Lido buffet trying to get plates and drinks for

everyone (my DH just had knee surgery so he isn't going to be as much help as usual either) so

I'm wondering what kind of cups you guys take for your kids drinks for the buffet area (and maybe

even MDR). The ones Carnival have on Lido are plastic but they are kind of large for small

hands and needless to say do not have lids.

I've got some of the Take and Toss ones that you can purchase at Walmart, but was wondering

if something with a hook or some way to strap it on them (or me) would be better.

Looking for any tips that you may have that have worked for you all.

Thanks in advance - don't know what I would do without these boards!

Go to the dining room for meals, when possible...that way, you all are SERVED! No juggling plates, and cups, or waiting in line or searching for butter, etc...!!! Otherwise, you will be spending the majority of YOUR eating time serving your family...not much of a vacation for you!

Kids are VERY welcome in the MDR!!! And, breakfast and dinner are so much nicer in there than in the buffet. If you're at the pool during the day, you can grab a sandwich from the buffet and bring it out to the pool.

Take n' toss are your best bet since the covers protect from spills and it's not a tragedy when they get lost/left behind.

That said - the main dining room is your friend! We go for every meal it's open because it's wonderful to sit and enjoy meals with my family while we're being served. I've been taking my twins since they were babies and we love the time together and the waiters cater to their wants. (On our first cruise we were in the buffet and a dining room manager insisted that moms most of all should be eating in the dining room so they could relax).

Have a great time and congratulations on your wonderful family!

Go to the dining room for meals, when possible...that way, you all are SERVED! No juggling plates, and cups, or waiting in line or searching for butter, etc...!!! Otherwise, you will be spending the majority of YOUR eating time serving your family...not much of a vacation for you!

Kids are VERY welcome in the MDR!!! And, breakfast and dinner are so much nicer in there than in the buffet. If you're at the pool during the day, you can grab a sandwich from the buffet and bring it out to the pool.

Trust me - we will definitely be using the dining room for dinner every night. I was just thinking about

breakfast and lunch on lido and wondering how I was going to juggle all that stuff.

Thanks!

Take n' toss are your best bet since the covers protect from spills and it's not a tragedy when they get lost/left behind.

That said - the main dining room is your friend! We go for every meal it's open because it's wonderful to sit and enjoy meals with my family while we're being served. I've been taking my twins since they were babies and we love the time together and the waiters cater to their wants. (On our first cruise we were in the buffet and a dining room manager insisted that moms most of all should be eating in the dining room so they could relax).

Have a great time and congratulations on your wonderful family!

Thanks so much - sounds like I may already have what I need then!

When my son was 2 we took a spill proof straw cup. He is pretty good with smaller open cups at home now, but will probably still take a spill proof straw cup with us when we cruise this summer (he is 4 now). We find it useful both at meals and to throw in the backpack for excursions. He is able to drink from a water bottle but tends to spit a lot of food bits back into it, and a cup is much easier to clean!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't just do dinner in the MDR - do breakfast there as well...SOOOO much easier with kids. My youngest was 2 when he started cruising and I took along 2 regular plastic sippy cups from home and washed them in the sink. Easy to do and pretty much had one with us 24/7.

Don't just do dinner in the MDR - do breakfast there as well...SOOOO much easier with kids. My youngest was 2 when he started cruising and I took along 2 regular plastic sippy cups from home and washed them in the sink. Easy to do and pretty much had one with us 24/7.

Breakfast in the MDR is so much better quality than the lido, too.

Also you could always do room service for breakfast. My 6 year old is not a get up and go kid. He likes to watch his morning cartoons and eat breakfast. He'd get cereal, yogurt, and OJ every morning and I'd get my coffee and bagel. It's a great way to start the day!

But at their ages, I'd just do the take and toss cups. I also just read a tip about cutting up dollar store sponges and putting dishsoap on them then storing them in a zip lock baggie. Easy way to wash cups in the sink without having to pack dish soap!

I totally agree about breakfast - such a luxury to sit and enjoy breakfast with my family. I would usually order a little something from room service for the kids to eat a little while we're getting ready so they're not starving/in good behavior in the dining room. My girls loved having a little hot chocolate every morning in the dining room with their breakfast - they always also preferred the dining room to the buffet. I always requested a table of our own rather than being seated at a large table.

All the best,

Mia

• 3 weeks later...

My DD is 28 years old, but disabled, & because of spine curvature not completely corrected by surgery, tends to "list" to one side, making drinking from a regular cup difficult, especially if it is glass (heavy for her). We just invest in the plastic straw cups (a few dollars each) & take 2 or 3 along with them when we travel or even when we just go out to eat. Just pour her drink into her cup, & then she's fine.

We went with our 3 year old and 1 year old. I brought each of them a sippy straw water bottle (and a small bottle of dish soap). These were a life saver! Also- we ordered continental breakfast every night - my kids both want milk and something to eat really soon upon waking so this worked out. We would have that delivered about 630a and then they would have stuff to hold them over until we were all up and ready for breakfast in the main dining room or in buffet. Worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Yes use MDR or other eateries that may be open for breakfast,as much as possible as the staff love the kids and you get served.... For breakfast we usually asked for my sons (he was very young) first (as soon as we sat down) so we had a chance to feed him before our breakfast came. This time he will be 3 so much more manageable to eat himself but far easier to have the waiter service and not have to 1. find seats - then find food - do the shuttle runs then finally sit and eat yourself....

If you do eat at the buffet and are having trouble "juggling" , just ask a crew member to help you. They are happy to help. :D

Yes, they are more than happy to help.

Also, you can get sippy cup holders to attach them to things. Check out https://www.amazon.com/PBnJ-Baby-SippyPal-Holder-Tether/dp/B0047RJE7M?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0047RJE7M.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a small sports bottle with a sealing flip up spout that hangs on a carabiner for my 3 year old. Its mostly for water while running around the boat/beach though, seated at a table she's pretty confident with open top cups.

If by "confident" you hear "refuses to drink out of a baby cup and only forgets and knocks the cup over twice a week". Ah, three. You can't tell them anything, they will tell you.

• 1 month later...

We use “Siliskin Straw Lids” which work wonderfully on the glasses in MDR and plastic buffet cups as well. Just used disposable straws provided or I had a bag of bendy straws I brought with. Best part no washing cups, just wipe down. Can’t tell you how many parents approached me asking what they were and where we got them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...