Bear watching excursion in ISP/Hoonah

Mountaineer0313

We'll be on Radiance at the end of August. We're doing whale watching with Jayleen in Juneau, so was contemplating a bear watching excursion in Hoonah. I see 2 offered through RC, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for bear watching trips that are not affiliated with RC.

We booked independently through Hoonah Travel Adventures. Will let you know in a couple of weeks how it went.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked with them for the end of August. I look forward to hearing about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on the driver, ours stopped for a few minutes on a bridge over looking a small river and we were able to get out and stretch our legs a bit. I think I have seen other posts were others may have gotten out also. But cannot promise every trip and driver is the same. Be warned there are no bathrooms on this tour. We went out with the about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks, Newlkat. What seems so odd to me about this is that there are some very expensive fly in tours to Chichagof (just as there are to Admiralty) from Juneau. They are very interactive with time spent at the river and waterfall looking for bears that are fishing, observing them in the wilderness while you are also outside. I can’t understand why they wouldn’t do something similar for tourists who dock at ISP and don’t need to fly in. There are also self drive Artic Cat tours where they give you a map and bear spray and let you loose. I’d surely think there’d be something in between the two, right?

I'm under the impression, based on another post, that you never leave the van on this tour. I'm interested in hearing from those going soon what it's actually like.

Rats! Oh well. I guess it's easier and safer if everyone stays in the van. And I can see why a guide wouldn't want to try to herd a bunch of tourists around Brown Bear. Guess we don't have to worry about mosquitoes.