Things you must buy, places you must eat at or shop at!

vacationlover_mn

I am the OP, and can’t believe cruise is just 10 days away!!! I want to buy my future SIL an ULU knife... should I also get the bowl or plate with it? Where is the best place to buy, and what is a fair price?

Ulu knives are a bit trickier than other knives to use. The bowl is a nice touch, especially if someone is going to use it mainly as a chopper, for rolling cuts it is kind of annoying.

Price for a basic Ulu is going to be cheap, if you want something really nice though you can actually get her something with a custom handle. Price range is anywhere from $50 on up depending on the material and carving. DW found a nice horn one she liked that fit her hand well in a small shop in Juneau called Caribou Crossing, 100% local artists, and checking prices at other places for similar it came up a little less money at $80. A lot more than the basic but beautiful work and came with a matching horn stand the it sits in on the counter.

Definitely stop in Bearhead Photography in Skagway! It's on the corner before Skagway Brewing. The photos are gorgeous and if Barrett's around, he's interesting to talk to. I also second Annabelle's in Ketchikan, the seafood chowder was good too, along with the Dungeness crab!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I haven't been to Bearhead Photography yet, but I've shared the link so many times I think I've sold more calendars then the store. I can't wait to go there.

I buy magnets everywhere I go. I know, I know, made in China. But, I have a whole display of them and I love seeing all the places I've been. Other than that I'm prone to t-shirts and sweatshirts.

However, I also like to get jewelry. Earrings mostly, sometimes rings. And I try to get locally made. In Ketchikan there is a jewelry store on Creek Street. Pretty sure it's local. I bought a ring there with little gold nuggets and it's the only piece of jewelry I wear every day. I really love it. So, in Ketchikan, I always head straight to that store.

In Juneau it's the Alaskan Fudge store for sure. Of course, the souvenirs I buy there don't last til I get home.

Since I've been a few times I don't need any more magnets or sweatshirts. I don't need jewelry either but that's another story. Anyway those puzzles sure look interesting. I think I'll check out that store.

Hi, I agree with Blondilu, I buy magnets too. Used to work with this lady, wherever I cruised to, I would bring her a magnet, I would buy myself t shirts, but they would wear out. So now, I buy magnets, they are covering the refrigerator & freezer, also got a bag full on the floor next to the frig.

• 2 weeks later...