where do they dock when port is"Province"

Hawaiidan

Last time in Livorno, I wanted to rent a car - but online (in advance of our departure) all car rental agencies showed that they were closed for our Sunday arrival. Because I was unable to reserve a car in advance, I booked a private excursion.

When we arrived in Livorno (on a Sunday) there were several car rental agencies set up right at the port - no need to even go into Livorno. Expect it would be the same on other days as well...

Last time we were in Marseilles there were taxis at the terminal where the shuttle bus went from. They were very busy however and not too happy to take you into town they were looking for people wanting a tour.

Michael thank you I booked a car from the train station for 128 a day thats reasonable considering the cost of shore tours that start at $200 pp.... Fontain Valcluse here I come.

Now you have my attention :). Why are you paying so much? Did you reserve a really large car? We can easily rent even a medium size car for under $100 and smaller cars (the norm in Europe) are only about $50 (US).

Hank