Luxury section of ship or Luxury Cruise ships?

Travelcat2

Glad that you enjoyed the thread. I was thinking that the carpeting is the way that it is as apparently there could be 800 children on one cruise (omg). As the result of our NCL cruise, we are trying a premium cruise line in September to compare it to NCL and hope that the food is a bit better. While we are not giving up Regent, short trips on the West Coast are inviting (especially when they are not to Alaska as we have done that five times with one booked again next year). We will be sailing from Vancouver to San Diego and will likely post on this board since we will, once again, be in the luxury section of a non-luxury cruise line!

You are really going beyond the call of duty. Taking these cruises, and putting up with that carpet, all so we don’t have to to do so, is an act of the purest heroism.:D

You are really going beyond the call of duty. Taking these cruises, and putting up with that carpet, all so we don’t have to to do so, is an act of the purest heroism.:D

Your post made me laugh. We are definitely Regent customers and that will not change. However, our NCL cruise was the type of fun that we do not typically have. Our non-Regent cruises in September 2018 and September 2019 are near home, are a third of the price of a Regent cruise and will only be for 7 nights. We would rather be on a ship for 7 nights than in a hotel somewhere for 7 nights.

Your post made me laugh. We are definitely Regent customers and that will not change. However, our NCL cruise was the type of fun that we do not typically have. Our non-Regent cruises in September 2018 and September 2019 are near home, are a third of the price of a Regent cruise and will only be for 7 nights. We would rather be on a ship for 7 nights than in a hotel somewhere for 7 nights.

Not if it’s this hotel https://www.41hotel.com/?sc_camp=DC88C2257C514F6BA36D53D855CEAFCD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2PvBw4Td2wIVGCQrCh1KMAboEAAYASAAEgKndPD_BwE

Thank you for posting your experience on NCL, TC2! Great pictures, commentary and contrasts to full luxury cruising.

We were on NCL many years ago, and share some of your opinions. For one, we also thought Le Bistro was great. We were sailing in a small suite as well, prior to the creation of NCL's Haven concept. The suite was comfortable, and we had an "OK" butler. However, there were certain aspects of the cruise, particularly dining in the MDR, which caused us to avoid future bookings on NCL.

Your next West Coast cruise certainly sounds like it might be on HAL (San Diego is a popular port for HAL ;) ). If so, I hope you are booked into a Neptune Suite. They are VERY spacious and comfortable, and the Neptune Lounge (for Neptune guests) is very nice. The concierges in the Lounge are delightful. We have sailed on HAL quite a bit, primarily for their unique itineraries. I just wish they would bump up the Neptune Suite amenities to at least provide for included adult beverages in the Lounge. :cool:

Whatever line you may be on, enjoy your cruise! We also live on the West Coast and really enjoy the ease of embarking and disembarking so close to home.

Toryhere - what is wrong with the hotel? It looks beautiful!

RJ2002 - good to see you on this board. We did check HAL but their pricing/promotions/itineraries were not right. We were going to do a 7 night Crystal* cruise but their very strange website showed Alaska cruises in June and July 2018 but then - without notice - changed to 2019. They will not be in Alaska when we wanted to go.

So, when we found the Vancouver to San Diego itinerary, with stops in Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey and Santa Barbara - it sounded wonderful (especially with the included alcohol package, $300 OBC to pay for specialty dining, internet with two log-ins and laundry twice during our cruise).

*I always say "never say never" - this is one cruise line that I would not have dreamed that I'd be interested in - but may sail on her in Alaska next year. The bottom line for us is that we will never leave Regent (hmmmmm what was it that I just said about never saying never)?;p

RJ2002 - good to see you on this board. We did check HAL but their pricing/promotions/itineraries were not right. We were going to do a 7 night Crystal* cruise but their very strange website showed Alaska cruises in June and July 2018 but then - without notice - changed to 2019. They will not be in Alaska when we wanted to go.

So, when we found the Vancouver to San Diego itinerary, with stops in Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey and Santa Barbara - it sounded wonderful (especially with the included alcohol package, $300 OBC to pay for specialty dining, internet with two log-ins and laundry twice during our cruise).

*I always say "never say never" - this is one cruise line that I would not have dreamed that I'd be interested in - but may sail on her in Alaska next year. The bottom line for us is that we will never leave Regent (hmmmmm what was it that I just said about never saying never)?;p

I followed you over here! :'):'):')

Enjoy your cruise! We did a short 5-day California Coastal cruise R/T LA in 2016, with a stop in Santa Barbara among others. Nice walk from the tender pier (at the marina) up to the base of State Street, then continued on up State. Stopped for coffee, then later a nice lunch off the ship. If you have a chance, be sure to stop by the courthouse and go up to the observation tower. Beautiful views, and it's free!

This sounds like a Celebrity cruise [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You send you’d rather cruise for 7 days than stay in a hotel. I was saying that I’d rather stay at Hotel 41 than go on a cruise on a mass market cruise.

You send you’d rather cruise for 7 days than stay in a hotel. I was saying that I’d rather stay at Hotel 41 than go on a cruise on a mass market cruise.

Sounds a bit snobby, I must say

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed your review - we just completed a cruise in a Haven 2 br villa and have already booked another. It had been years since we had cruised (various reasons - grad school, early widowhood, 90 yo mother with cancer). But with a little more time, and despite long work hours, we have a bit more time for travel (in a variety of places and ways, not just cruising).

That said, I am honestly stunned by the pure narcissism and shameless snobiness that I have seen in some of the responses to your review. We traveled in the Haven because we wanted 2 bedrooms, we could afford it, and we liked the benefits - however, we never convinced ourselves that we were there because we were somehow superior to everyone else. And the idea of the decor of cruise ships as garish... it absolutely is. The decor of most ships have always been just this side of hideous. But losing lunch over the carpets of the “lesser” cruise lines?? Egads people, do you hear yourselves?

My parents were educational administrators, my father ending his career as a college President. We cruised when I was quite young, before cruising had even entered to consciousness of 99.9% of the population. And, we had a more comfortable income that the vast majority of people we knew. But I was taught that I was no better than anyone and that attitude was modeled for me daily by both of my parents. I am today once again so very thankful for that upbringing and those parents.

I enjoyed your review - we just completed a cruise in a Haven 2 br villa and have already booked another. It had been years since we had cruised (various reasons - grad school, early widowhood, 90 yo mother with cancer). But with a little more time, and despite long work hours, we have a bit more time for travel (in a variety of places and ways, not just cruising).

That said, I am honestly stunned by the pure narcissism and shameless snobiness that I have seen in some of the responses to your review. We traveled in the Haven because we wanted 2 bedrooms, we could afford it, and we liked the benefits - however, we never convinced ourselves that we were there because we were somehow superior to everyone else. And the idea of the decor of cruise ships as garish... it absolutely is. The decor of most ships have always been just this side of hideous. But losing lunch over the carpets of the “lesser” cruise lines?? Egads people, do you hear yourselves?

My parents were educational administrators, my father ending his career as a college President. We cruised when I was quite young, before cruising had even entered to consciousness of 99.9% of the population. And, we had a more comfortable income that the vast majority of people we knew. But I was taught that I was no better than anyone and that attitude was modeled for me daily by both of my parents. I am today once again so very thankful for that upbringing and those parents.

It was I who brought up the garishness of the carpets. And if that is seen as being snobbish rather than aesthetically sensitive, then I plead guilty, but plead the headaches, as they used to say down at the Old Bailey. You got me bang to rights, Guv’nor.

Matters of taste are not about being superior to anyone but being true to oneself.

It was I who brought up the garishness of the carpets. And if that is seen as being snobbish rather than aesthetically sensitive, then I plead guilty, but plead the headaches, as they used to say down at the Old Bailey. You got me bang to rights, Guv’nor.

Matters of taste are not about being superior to anyone but being true to oneself.

Headaches?

I thought it was ' the red mist'.

Thank you for posting. So sorry for the difficulties that you have gone through but it is good that you were able to take a cruise in a Haven 2 bedroom suite with another cruise booked.

Definitely agree that people that may have money and sail on luxury lines are no better than anyone else. To be honest, this is a main reason why we do not typically cruise on ships with the "class" system. While my British born husband thinks that it is fine to be a bit snobby, it bothers me a lot. Our views are different since we were raised in different countries.

What NCL has done for us is to open our minds a bit to going on a cruise where you can just have fun and do things that you do not typically do (like racing in car on the Bliss). Our next cruise is on a premium cruise line - only for a quick 7 night getaway. Our expectation is that we will have fun and will also learn what a different cruise line offers.

At the end of the day, we will return to Regent ...... not simply because it is a luxury cruise line, but because once you are onboard, everyone is treated the same. No one knows or cares if you are in the largest or smallest suite on the ship (the benefits you receive from being in a higher category suite is not visible to others). We also appreciate the all-inclusiveness and not having to sign for things all of the time. Also, we have sailed on Regent so many times that the crew is like an extended family.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you for posting. So sorry for the difficulties that you have gone through but it is good that you were able to take a cruise in a Haven 2 bedroom suite with another cruise booked.

Definitely agree that people that may have money and sail on luxury lines are no better than anyone else. To be honest, this is a main reason why we do not typically cruise on ships with the "class" system. While my British born husband thinks that it is fine to be a bit snobby, it bothers me a lot. Our views are different since we were raised in different countries.

What NCL has done for us is to open our minds a bit to going on a cruise where you can just have fun and do things that you do not typically do (like racing in car on the Bliss). Our next cruise is on a premium cruise line - only for a quick 7 night getaway. Our expectation is that we will have fun and will also learn what a different cruise line offers.

At the end of the day, we will return to Regent ...... not simply because it is a luxury cruise line, but because once you are onboard, everyone is treated the same. No one knows or cares if you are in the largest or smallest suite on the ship (the benefits you receive from being in a higher category suite is not visible to others). We also appreciate the all-inclusiveness and not having to sign for things all of the time. Also, we have sailed on Regent so many times that the crew is like an extended family.

I am with your husband on this point. But I think that one gets more snob value out of travelling on an all inclusive luxury ship, because all passengers are treated the same. They are all first class.

So you and your husband are both right.

I am with your husband on this point. But I think that one gets more snob value out of travelling on an all inclusive luxury ship, because all passengers are treated the same. They are all first class.

So you and your husband are both right.

Being snobby is not a good quality regardless of what class one belongs to. Self righteous and the sense of entitlement are present in any class too. There is hardly anything more boring than a self entitled crowd in an exclusive bar boasting whose boat is bigger ...

Being snobby is not a good quality regardless of what class one belongs to. Self righteous and the sense of entitlement are present in any class too. There is hardly anything more boring than a self entitled crowd in an exclusive bar boasting whose boat is bigger ...

It would have to be whose boat has a helicopter landing pad.

I once saw such a vessel in the harbour in Monte Carlo.

It would have to be whose boat has a helicopter landing pad.

I once saw such a vessel in the harbour in Monte Carlo.

Two of them in St. Barth for their New Year's parties + assorted other yachts with various water toys. It was the largest collection of expensive yachts I have ever seen in one place. Quite a few people must have oil wells in their backyards.

When people start talking about “things” they own, I bring up our twin Toyota Corollas which is probably the least expensive car around.;p

When I referred to “first class” I was referring to class of travel rather than social class. But I agree with you.

Of course there is the even worse social problem of reverse snobbery, where people compete to be “ordinary”. That’s when self righteousness really gets an airing.

I can’t stand people boasting about their possessions. But people praising beautiful things and admiring good taste is not really snobbery, or at least is a snobbery that is forgivable.

The important thing is to praise the best without insulting those who do not have the best.

Travelling on an all inclusive, luxury ship is good because the people on board don’t have to worry about the status between themselves, but can enjoy the fact that hey had the good taste to travel in style and at some expense.

It’s about living up to one’s own standards, not denigrating the standards of others.

Two of them in St. Barth for their New Year's parties + assorted other yachts with various water toys. It was the largest collection of expensive yachts I have ever seen in one place. Quite a few people must have oil wells in their backyards.

Yes We were parked alongside 2 or 3 of those mega yachts with helicopters at St Barth when we were on SeaDream on NYE.

When people start talking about “things” they own, I bring up our twin Toyota Corollas which is probably the least expensive car around.;p

Oh, how funny - my DH loves driving our DD’s (who now lives in a different city and does not want a car there) little red Peugeot , especially taking it to his professional association’s meetings, parking it in between various 500’ and 600s :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro