Star class gifts - from genie or RCI budget?

Just wondering what the concensus is. Do the genies pay for gifts out of their pocket (in hopes of a larger tip that more than makes up the difference) or do they have a RCI provided budget to spend on guests?

Very impressed with a few gifts my family received this week and am tempted to tip even more than I was already planning.

What were they - CK fragrance, Michael Kors change purse, toys for kids, ...

Sent from my VS996 using Forums mobile app

I am betting on RCI. Our Genie gave us some great gifts that proved he read our survey and mentioned that he had to work with the shore side folks to find the particular t-shirt he got for us. Since none of the items we received were from the on-board shops he either dashed out while we were in a port or on turnaround day (which seems unlikely) or worked with other RCI staff to procure them. I do not know this for certain, just seems likely. I would guess, as I did prior to this thread, that most people assume any gifts are funded by RCI and while they may adjust a gratuity for the thoughtfulness, there is a possibility that the additional gratuity would not cover the cost.

Not trying to be snarky, but why do we need to know whether the genies or the company foot the cost for the gift? The “thought” behind the gift is what is important.

In our daily lives we do not tend to “reimburse” the gift giver for the amount of the gift.

If the genie’s performance is wonderful, tip the genie accordingly.

IF a genie went out of pocket for a gift I would tip to reimburse. This staff is great but they are not getting rich from guest tips or RCI salary. If it's coming from a corporate budget I would assume I already "paid" for it with my cabin cost.

Gifts between friends/family it's the thought that counts (unrelated but I love it when someone says that and then gives a gift card that required zero thought, it's a lazy gift - no problem but don't also pat yourself on the back for "it's the thought that counts.")

When it's a professional relationship I worry about costs.

When it's a professional relationship I worry about costs.

why? this is not a tit for tat arrangement. you are not obligated to respond in kind

part of the genie's job is to make your stay just a little extra awesome. they do so by figuring out what you like and dislike, and surprising you accordingly. they are not doing so to snag an extra large tip. its part of their job description and is not going 'above and beyond' at all.

any recompense is at Royal's discretion. they get paid better for one, get more freedom on board to say 'yes' to requests without having to go through higher ups.

We have been on a number of SC cruises and always received lovely gifts from the Genie. On our very first SC cruise my husband's Genie gift was very personal and obviously well thought-out. Since that first cruise, while thoughtful and much appreciated, the gifts have been items obviously purchased from the RCCL gift shop. I certainly have no idea how these gifts are funded, but I always believed that these were personal gifts, purchased by the Genie out of their personal funds. I guess I never gave it more thought than that, as it makes no difference to me.

Since that first time, we have always brought a small gift for our Genie, as well. We didn't know for the first one, but after that, we did...so we always bring something for them. I love this aspect of the SC program. The Genies were very hard and we have become extremely fond of each Genie we have had. Nothing but good experiences.