Prepaying gratuity question

I don't know why people are in such a rush to give RCI money. If you don't want to have a bill at the end of your cruise pay the extra money on your credit card and then when RCI sends your seapass charges to the credit card company they come off of your credit balance. Maybe I get it if you plan on having a cash account on board and don't want to have to pay before you leave the ship.

I don't know why people are in such a rush to give RCI money. If you don't want to have a bill at the end of your cruise pay the extra money on your credit card and then when RCI sends your seapass charges to the credit card company they come off of your credit balance. Maybe I get it if you plan on having a cash account on board and don't want to have to pay before you leave the ship.

For me, the motive is simple. I already have purchased the drinks package, dining package, and spa service that I want. Yes, I am paying before I 'must'. But taking the cost and removing it from the vacation makes the cruise, for me, more relaxing. No stress about a bill. The first time I noticed the effect was on my last cruise. I decided to use cash as opposed to a credit card to set up my seapass account. I just happened to be cash flush at the time, and figured 'Why not?'

Anyway, I found that I spent less (by about half) than on my previous cruises. I was more aware of cost, because if I spent a bunch I'd have to go to the desk and add money. But I honestly never felt pinch or limited. I just didn't waste as much money. I felt kind of upbeat, weirdly.

THEN, last night of the cruise as everyone else got their final bills (with the general 'pall' bill night tends to bring) I went down and got my refund. I was the only person that felt great! Everyone else was looking at typical end of cruise bills and I was taking back a few c notes. Totally different experience, and changed the cruise experience for me permanently. Now, I want to exit the ship owing nothing, and not having any bill to think about. Purchase the big ticket items beforehand, set up the seapass with a few hundred bucks, and when you disembark have a refund in your wallet and no bill.

I agree. I don't believe in giving any company my money before I have to.

Not OP but we like to pre-pay since we are Canadian. By pre-paying we pay in CAD and locked in. If we wait, then we pay in USD with credit card currency charges.

Also, if booking early, then we add to invoice so we are locked in if gratuity rises befyour cruise.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

For me, the motive is simple. I already have purchased the drinks package, dining package, and spa service that I want. Yes, I am paying before I 'must'. But taking the cost and removing it from the vacation makes the cruise, for me, more relaxing. No stress about a bill. The first time I noticed the effect was on my last cruise. I decided to use cash as opposed to a credit card to set up my seapass account. I just happened to be cash flush at the time, and figured 'Why not?'

Anyway, I found that I spent less (by about half) than on my previous cruises. I was more aware of cost, because if I spent a bunch I'd have to go to the desk and add money. But I honestly never felt pinch or limited. I just didn't waste as much money. I felt kind of upbeat, weirdly.

THEN, last night of the cruise as everyone else got their final bills (with the general 'pall' bill night tends to bring) I went down and got my refund. I was the only person that felt great! Everyone else was looking at typical end of cruise bills and I was taking back a few c notes. Totally different experience, and changed the cruise experience for me permanently. Now, I want to exit the ship owing nothing, and not having any bill to think about. Purchase the big ticket items beforehand, set up the seapass with a few hundred bucks, and when you disembark have a refund in your wallet and no bill.

If standing in line changes your cruise experience, go for it, I will put a credit card down when I do my online check in and never go to guest services at all. I check my charges occasionally on the interactive tv in the cabin and then get my final bill the morning we disembark the cruise. Easy peasy and no stress.

If standing in line changes your cruise experience, go for it, I will put a credit card down when I do my online check in and never go to guest services at all. I check my charges occasionally on the interactive tv in the cabin and then get my final bill the morning we disembark the cruise. Easy peasy and no stress.

Actually, as far as I saw virtually no one uses cash for the seapass. I think it took no more that a few minutes first day and last night. As I said, I happened to be flush as the time and kinda did it on a whim. I found I spent less, but never felt truly constrained. I just wasted less. Then when everyone else got a bill, which was the same as I used to get, I got money. For me, it ended the cruise vacation on a totally different note than my previous cruises - and I liked it. Just my preference.

We prepay because I hate seeing the charges show up daily on the tv! Much rather see it “lump sum”.

I don't know why people are in such a rush to tell other people they've never met how to handle their finances.

Actually, as far as I saw virtually no one uses cash for the seapass. I think it took no more that a few minutes first day and last night. As I said, I happened to be flush as the time and kinda did it on a whim. I found I spent less, but never felt truly constrained. I just wasted less. Then when everyone else got a bill, which was the same as I used to get, I got money. For me, it ended the cruise vacation on a totally different note than my previous cruises - and I liked it. Just my preference.

That's part of the Dave Ramsey method. If you pay with cash, you will spend less you will think you're spending real money. If you put it on a credit card, most will spend more.

30+ cruises on royal and have used cash on every cruise after the first one. Did cash so I would not have phantom mini bar charges on my credit card. Now we just use cash as we have some obc to cash out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

30+ cruises on royal and have used cash on every cruise after the first one. Did cash so I would not have phantom mini bar charges on my credit card. Now we just use cash as we have some obc to cash out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Guess you know with 30+ that the mini bar is not stocked anymore

I don't know why people are in such a rush to tell other people they've never met how to handle their finances.

Is that what I did? I told someone else what to do? I stated what makes sense to me. I couldn't care any less what others actually do with their money.... or even how they dress or tip.

Did I clear up any misunderstanding there might have been?

My understanding from reading countless tipping threads on this board is that if you prepay you cannot make any adjustments to the amounts. I could well be wrong in my understanding from reading those countless threads.

Is that what I did? I told someone else what to do? I stated what makes sense to me. I couldn't care any less what others actually do with their money.... or even how they dress or tip.

Did I clear up any misunderstanding there might have been?

Is that what I did? I told someone else what to do? I stated what made sense to me. Did I clear up any misunderstanding there might have been? Sounds kind of silly, no?

Of course saying 'I don't understand why people do X isn't at all being critical of them and implying your own way is the correct way.