Question! Which Ocean Liner had the first 'proper' ballroom at sea ?

Slow Foxtrot

Was it Cunard, P & O, White Star etc etc? Sorry!

According to a booklet purchased at the recent Ocean Liner Exhibition at London's Victoria and Albert Museum it was the German-built 'Imperator' owned by the Hamburg America Line. Launched in 1913 it was the largest passenger ship in the world. It boasted a luxurious ballroom situated amidships. After the First World War 'Imperator' was briefly acquired by the United States Navy and eventually passed to Cunard as part of the war reparations. Cunard then changed the name to RMS Berengaria.

Nice to know that the current Cunard 'Queens' are continuing the ballroom tradition, thus following in the footsteps of the 'Imperator' over a century ago.

Quite correct, it was indeed the HAPAG liner IMPERATOR. When it came to luxury at sea and pioneering many of the facilities and amenities one associates with luxury liners, you can seldom go wrong with guessing a German ship and line had it first.

Quite correct, it was indeed the HAPAG liner IMPERATOR. When it came to luxury at sea and pioneering many of the facilities and amenities one associates with luxury liners, you can seldom go wrong with guessing a German ship and line had it first.
Yes, Imperator.

However, not all things the Imperator introduced proved popular in the long term.

The idea of having a ballroom on board did; having a giant bronze eagle riveted to the bow, didn't ;) :D

Yes, Imperator.

However, not all things the Imperator introduced proved popular in the long term.

The idea of having a ballroom on board did; having a giant bronze eagle riveted to the bow, didn't ;) :D

I believe that was so Imperator could beat the record of the longest passenger liner. She was designed to be grander than Titanic in every way. Frankly I found the German ships to be rather ugly on the outside compared to their Cunard and White Star rivals.

A few other firsts out of interest:

First lifts installed on an ocean liner - SS Amerika

First swimming pool installed on an ocean liner - RMS Olympic

SS AMERIKA was the also the first liner with an extra cost a la carte restaurant. And the first with contemporary decor. And the first with real chairs in the dining saloon (as opposed to the fixed swivel chairs liners had then). She had a barber shop as well although not sure if this was another "first". A Cunarder, RMS FRANCONIA of 1911 was the first to have a gymnasium at sea.

I believe that was so Imperator could beat the record of the longest passenger liner. She was designed to be grander than Titanic in every way. ...
Shortly before the launch of the Imperator, Cunard let it be known that their new ship would be longer, by a foot.

In order to regain the title of longest passenger ship in the world, as well as the biggest, Imperator was "lengthened" by the addition of a huge bronze eagle on the prow.

The wings of the eagle were removed by waves during a storm a short time after Imperator entered service, the body was also removed soon afterwards by the shipyard.

Imperator was so top-heavy at first, that she took on a quite notable list even when moored at a quay.

She quickly acquired the nickname "Limperator"

The funnels were reduced in height, concrete ballast was added in bottom of the ship, and her 1st class cabin marble bathrooms were ripped out to be replaced with lighter materials, heavy furniture removed from upper decks, (and other measures) in order to correct the constant listing to one side, or the other.

Imperator was awarded to Cunard after WWI (as a replacement for the lost Lusitania) and was renamed Berengaria soon afterwards (after Richard I's wife). Retired in 1938, scrapping continued until after WWII.

This all begs the question, which ship was the first to have electric lights onboard?

The Ohio River brag boat Str. VIRGINIA had electric lights throughout in 1895, and it is said that people would come down to the waterfront just to see her glide by at night all aglow. Even before the VIRGINIA the Str. NEW MARY HOUSTON in 1877 had a large electric light hung above her forecastle which according to the "Pittsburgh Gazette" reportedly would illuminate the river almost as bright as day for five miles ahead. Furthermore the Gazette reported that, " Farmers along the river need not be surprised to hear 'barnyard lords' crowing for daylight at the dead hour of night," when the boat neared.

According to a booklet purchased at the recent Ocean Liner Exhibition at London's Victoria and Albert Museum it was the German-built 'Imperator' owned by the Hamburg America Line.

Hi Foxy,

Glad to hear from you again.

I saw that exhibit last year at the Peabody & Essex Museum here in the colonies. Two of the main ships featured were the Imperator and the Rex, the Italian's answer to the Normandy. The Imperator carried my father when he was eight years old from Hamburg to the US. He was processed at Ellis Island in New York. My mother came to the US a dozen years later on the Rex. She was 15. Again processed in NYC, but not at Ellis Island.

Next month I will be on my 5th S'ton to NYC transatlantic crossing. I think of my parents making the journey as kids. Not knowing what to expect, not knowing the language or customs.

The exhibit was wonderful. I may see it again at the V&A when in London in a few weeks.

Q-Step

[quote (Hi Foxy,

Glad to hear from you again.

I saw that exhibit last year at the Peabody & Essex Museum here in the colonies. Two of the main ships featured were the Imperator and the Rex, the Italian's answer to the Normandy. The Imperator carried my father when he was eight years old from Hamburg to the US. He was processed at Ellis Island in New York. My mother came to the US a dozen years later on the Rex. She was 15. Again processed in NYC, but not at Ellis Island.

Next month I will be on my 5th S'ton to NYC transatlantic crossing. I think of my parents making the journey as kids. Not knowing what to expect, not knowing the language or customs. Q-Step

Hello Quickstep,

That's a fascinating story about your father arriving in the USA aboard 'Imperator' all those years ago. And your mother too, arriving on the 'Rex'. What a contrast to you dancing the nights away on a transatlantic voyage next month.! Perhaps your love of sea-travel is in your genes!

Have an enjoyable crossing and let us have your report on the dancing and, in particular, the music!

Bon voyage

Foxy