Viking Homelands Cruise Review

jiminyC_fan

We are thinking about taking this cruise next year. This thread has been very informative. Thanks to JiminyC for starting it with her review and all of you who have added to it.

You're welcome. We loved the cruise. Personally, it is one that I would be willing to repeat if there weren't so many others that peak my interest. Let us know if you book.

We are booked for HL cruise for June 2019. I have started doing research on ports/excursions on both CC and Rick Steves website. I found on Rick's website what he calls the "Northern European Cruise Port Cheat Sheet". An extract from the sheet "This roundup explains how to get into town from each major Northern European port. While cruise-line excursions are available, virtually all ports are easily doable on your own. For detailed instructions and self-guided tours in each port, see the Rick Steves’ Northern European Cruise Ports guidebook." I plan on buying the book when the updated version comes out in August 2018. If the PDF doesn't load correctly I included the link to the website.

https://d3dqioy2sca31t.cloudfront.net/Projects/cms/production/000/014/033/original/226a20c82cac9935b3a560e30fc257f7/class-handout-cruising-northern.pdf

Cheat Sheet For N. Europe.pdf

I used that book as well and it was a wealth of information. I asked many questions (probably way too many,lol) here and in another travel forum. I typed up a list with each port mentioned and added the hints and must sees for each port.

I used that book as well and it was a wealth of information. I asked many questions (probably way too many,lol) here and in another travel forum. I typed up a list with each port mentioned and added the hints and must sees for each port.

I love to research for a trip, and booking so far in advance for a Viking trip gives me plenty of time to do so. I use Google maps to record places we would like to see, and restaurants that look appealing too. I locate them on the map and save them as "starred places" which marks them for future reference. Then before departure, I download the various ports to my tablet, so I can use the maps without using wi-fi.

Also, if you go to Viking's website and click on the Viking Sun, you will be able to see each port as it Docks, this will give you an idea of where the ship is docking at. Sun has a webcam. Next to the actual webcam picture you can also have the map pop up so you can see exactly where the the ship is, it helps tremendously. There are also archived footage to see previous trips. We leaving for the HL cruise July 28- Stockholm to Bergen, so you can follow the ship definitely then. I think Sun is doing a different itinerary in between now and our cruise. However, they did do the HL cruise throughout May, and I followed it back and forth. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks MZiegler, I may just follow you on the Sun. I love that they have a webcam. I've checked it a couple of times.

lackcreativity, I research almost to a fault, LOL, but I agree. Viking allows us plenty of time to research. I research foods that the country might be known for, restaurants, fun facts, recommended things to visit, private tour companies etc. With Viking, it helped me make decisions whether or not to take included tours. I actually print each port on a separate piece of paper and take it with us for that days exploring. I, also, read it the night before to refresh my memory.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with your research lol. I have done the same! If you could see my file that I am bringing- I just might need an additional suitcase just for that :). I also used the Rick Steves Cruise Ports book, earmarked all the pages.

There's nothing wrong with your research lol. I have done the same! If you could see my file that I am bringing- I just might need an additional suitcase just for that :). I also used the Rick Steves Cruise Ports book, earmarked all the pages.

:DOk, I feel much better. We are both guilty of research and overweight luggage due to it.;p

• 2 weeks later...
We are going on this cruise next month. Did you get currency for the various countries for tipping the guides, tip in Euros, Tip in US or other strategy?

Smooth Traveler,

Hi,

Just finished Viking HL APRIL 28th 2018 Cruise.

Did not bother with local currency in Non Euro countries. Did the following-

Tipping for tour guides & bus driver. Euros in euro countries. Germany, Estonia, Finland. PP 2€ tour 1€ Driver.

Skipped local currency in non Euro countries. Use per couple $5 tour guide, $3 driver.

No one complains. In non euro Countries guide/driver took € or $. Have a great trip.

Also, see my CC REVIEW of

Viking Sky & HL Cruise.

Smooth Traveler,

Hi,

Just finished Viking HL APRIL 28th 2018 Cruise.

Did not bother with local currency in Non Euro countries. Did the following-

Tipping for tour guides & bus driver. Euros in euro countries. Germany, Estonia, Finland. PP 2€ tour 1€ Driver.

Skipped local currency in non Euro countries. Use per couple $5 tour guide, $3 driver.

No one complains. In non euro Countries guide/driver took € or $. Have a great trip.

Also, see my CC REVIEW of

Viking Sky & HL Cruise.

hi BruceB,

Thanks for this, very helpful!

i am looking for an early morning boat ride to pulpit rock as the viking star is in port from 7-1:30. any suggestions ? i've only found tours that our in the afternoon

I have not been on my cruise yet, so I have no personal experience of the company, but Rodne Cruises seem to have morning departures, but not sure if they will be early enough for you to get back by 1.30.

It is a 3 hour cruise, leaving at 10 am May to September.

lipnick, try Rodne and Norled. Both have the same tour but different times. Both companies are extremely close to where Viking docks. Hopefully, one of the companies will have a time that works for you. We couldn't make it for Rodne's time but Norled worked perfectly for us.

We did the Rodne Pulpit Rock tour last year, starting at 10am and were back on board for a 1.30 departure. I was apprehensive before we went, but the Rodne agent on the dock side assured me the trip would take exactly 3hrs and we would be back in time, and we were almost, to the second!

If you are really worried use the ship trip, if disaster strikes the ship will wait for them.

It may have been me that mentioned the tipping, who knows. But, I do know that we didn't see much of it. Many did but many did not. They would slither right past the guide and driver, LOL. We were told that USD would work fine for tipping but we used local currency. We stopped at the bank at home for all the different currencies before leaving and IMHO that was a blessing. We never had to go on search for an ATM. We could focus on the port itself. I kept all the currency in separate bank envelopes marked with the country in the safe and at night I would put back that day's and pull out for the next day. It never got mixed up and was a great routine.....for us. Just today we went to the bank and they bought back all the bills that we had leftover. The cost of doing it was minimal and it was peace of mind while there.

This is exactly what I did for our upcoming In the Wake of the Vikings on Sept. 4. We’re in so many different countries, and I’ve noticed on previous cruises (Viking and otherwise) a lack of tipping. We’re Triple A members, and they will give you currency for various countries with no fee and a good exchange rate. Depending on how much you’re getting and the currencies you’re purchasing, you can do it online and have it mailed directly to you for a $12.00 fee. If you’re below the total they require for home delivery, you can go into a AAA office one day and order the currencies, and pick them up the next. In any case, it works like a bank, but at least for the currencies for our upcoming trip, the rates were better. Agree with other posters about ATMs not always being available, and when they are, they don’t always dispense appropriate bills for tipping. Doing it in advance is once less thing to worry/think about each day in port.

• 2 weeks later...
This is exactly what I did for our upcoming In the Wake of the Vikings on Sept. 4. We’re in so many different countries, and I’ve noticed on previous cruises (Viking and otherwise) a lack of tipping. We’re Triple A members, and they will give you currency for various countries with no fee and a good exchange rate. Depending on how much you’re getting and the currencies you’re purchasing, you can do it online and have it mailed directly to you for a $12.00 fee. If you’re below the total they require for home delivery, you can go into a AAA office one day and order the currencies, and pick them up the next. In any case, it works like a bank, but at least for the currencies for our upcoming trip, the rates were better. Agree with other posters about ATMs not always being available, and when they are, they don’t always dispense appropriate bills for tipping. Doing it in advance is once less thing to worry/think about each day in port.

I did the same. I am a AAA member and I got a small amount of the currency in the non-euro countries and got a larger amount in euros. They were able to get the cash for me by the next day. I did as Jiminy did and pulled the amt for each country out each evening so as to be ready the next morning. When I made a purchase, I would use a larger bill and also ask for change back so I would have money for tips. Before leaving the non-euro country, I would make sure to use up that currency, usually on souvenirs for my family or, if just a small amount, I would buy a soda or two. That plan worked out well as I only came home with euros and a few kroner coins my husband didn't realize he had in some pockets. :D

Jiminy is right about the non-tippers. That steamed me. Those guides were so good and worked so hard for those tips. Some of the included tours were 3 1/2 hrs!

We did the opposite itinerary, from Bergen to Stockholm. We used TJ Travel for our time in St Petersburg and had a wonderful time. I am sure we saw much more than we could have seen on the Viking tours, simply because we were in a minivan and didn't have to wait for 30 people to get on and off a bus or return to the ship after one tour and wait to leave on another. We were out touring for 8 hours each day.

Viking Homelands is our favorite Viking Oceans cruise so far out of 4. Terrific itinerary!

Becki

Becki, sorry that you witnessed the non tippers as well. I'm just not real sure how they can feel good about themselves at the end of the day. If they can afford the cruise then they can certainly afford to tip.

You must be aware that not every passenger on the ship is from the U.S. The citizens of many other countries have practices and cultures that are diametrically opposed to the U.S. practice. The reason they don't tip has probably nothing to do with wealth, they are simply following their own practices and customs.

I was brought up in a culture (UK) where tipping is personal and is commensurate with our perception of how far the guide went above and beyond. I certainly do not find it necessary to complain, or comment about others who don't tip at all, or even those that tip considerably more than me.

Becki, sorry that you witnessed the non tippers as well. I'm just not real sure how they can feel good about themselves at the end of the day. If they can afford the cruise then they can certainly afford to tip.

Yes, exactly! I may add to that, I have heard and read discussions about gratuities onboard as well. I cannot believe that as much as people pay for these Viking cruises that at the end they would consider stiffing those people who give them such wonderful service, and do it with a smile. Please, please, these are such hard-working people, and just because you never eat in the World Café or at the Chef's Table, please don't reduce your gratuities to "justify" that. If you do that, the rest of the staff will receive less. Gratuities are pooled (except for what you may give your room steward or that special server in The Restaurant in cash. They can keep that for themselves. I was told that specifically by the Hotel Manager (I hope that's the right title).

Thank you, Jiminy, for letting me vent. :)

Becki