Port Transportation - San Pedro to LAX

big_schots

For those that have experience with Princess and the port at San Pedro, I have a question. We have a later flight (~3:00 P.M.) leaving from LAX on the day of debarkation, and am wondering about transportation options back to the airport. I could purchase a transfer through Princess, but from memory, they have a tendency to leave way too early. Does anyone know the approximate cost, just for comparison ? Prior Princess cruises, through Fort Lauderdale, would have debarkation around 8:30 A.M. for a flight leaving in our time frame. I have no desire rushing to exit the ship, only to have to wait in the bus/airport for hours on end. I know a taxi would run in the $75 price range, and there should be plenty of them. That is always the fallback, if nothing else works out. Is there dedicated, unreserved shuttles that make airport runs waiting, like in Fort Lauderdale ? Or, do they only allow shuttles that have passenger with prior reservations ? Thus, I would have to make reservations for Supershuttle or something equivalent. The wife and I aren't Uber/Lyft type of people, so I don't want tp put them in the equation. I am asking about a shuttle, since there are only 2 of us, and am in no great hurry to exit the ship. So, if we could catch one, on the fly, around 10:00 - 10:30. that would be ideal. Thanks for any insights you may have.

You have a few other options:

One is a private car service. We have used execucar.com

Their web site is http://www.execucar.com

They are a subsidiary of super shuttle but I would go with a private vehicle and be one of the last off the ship. Schedule a pickup at around 9:30 AM. Till you get to LAX, check in , get through security you can then have lunch there.

Keith

...if we could catch one, on the fly, around 10:00 - 10:30. that would be ideal. Thanks for any insights you may have.

The shuttle services WILL have lots of shuttles at the pier...mostly because a lot of folks will make reservations...and because they know there's a market for it...HOWEVER, the problem is that, if you are trying to be among the last off the ship, by that time, those shuttles may have already split the scene...

So, if I were you, I would go ahead and make some sort of reservation. As Keith noted, Execucar is a good deal--if you want a private car service. If you are looking for as low a price as you can get, then I'd just reserve a shared shuttle service--which should run around $17 per person one way. The good thing is that, with so many people leaving a ship and headed for LAX, there's a pretty good chance they will just fill up at the pier and not make any other stops --so, direct service from the pier to LAX...avoiding one of the main problems with shared shuttles--waiting to fill up and then making multiple drop-off stops.

A 3:00 flight means you will have a lot of time to fill...So, I agree with you...Get to the main dining room as late as you can for breakfast and then take as long eating it as they'll let you...Even with that, they'll want to clear the ship by 10:00 am if not earlier...and the MDR way before that...so, 9:30 is not bad for a pick-up estimate...Of course, knowing Super Shuttle, they'd probably have the van there waiting for you. Depending on the day of the week and traffic, you would get to LAX as early as 10:00 am (it's only a 20 mile ride, virtually all freeway, so, if traffic is light--like Sunday morning, for example, you'd arrive around 10:00)...Even with traffic by 10:30 or so...So, expect to have about 4 and a half hours to kill at LAX...Bring a book or other entertainment...

• 4 weeks later...

We just disembarked in San Pedro and caught a 2:05 flight out of LAX. We just called for a Lyft, cost $39 tip included from pier to airport. It was about an hour drive. Very inexpensive considering it's LA I thought.

Also the dining room closed at 8:30 on disembarkation day and the buffet at 9:00. There was really nothing to do but hang out by the pools or down in the International Cafe which was a swarm of people. We disembarked the ship at 10;05 and we were in LAX by 11:30.

We just used Uber with no issues at all. They did apply surge pricing so our cost was closer to $60 (for an UberXL), but still cheaper than a taxi (and perhaps the shuttles, if not definitely more convenient). A regular (non XL) Uber would be even less but we feel more comfortable in larger vehicles with all our luggage and all.

Thanks for posting this question. It was very precise in what you're looking for. I'm looking for the exact thing. Can't understand though why some people have a hard time answering what's been asked. You specifically say you're not intersted in Uber/Lyft and don't want that to be part of the equation, and we feel the same way, but some still find it necessary to post their experiences, I suppose trying to change your mind. Puzzling!

But thanks to the others. It will be very helpful to me.

Thanks for posting this question. It was very precise in what you're looking for. I'm looking for the exact thing. Can't understand though why some people have a hard time answering what's been asked. You specifically say you're not intersted in Uber/Lyft and don't want that to be part of the equation, and we feel the same way, but some still find it necessary to post their experiences, I suppose trying to change your mind. Puzzling!

But thanks to the others. It will be very helpful to me.

Well, keep in mind there are many other people reading these posts. We have a cruise over Christmas and will depart the ship on December 26th. I need transportation to LAX and am looking in to all options....Uber/Lyft, the cruise line shuttle and other shuttles. So rather than start a new thread, I can benefit from the information in this one.

Since some of our group are driving and some are flying, I would prefer Uber over a shuttle. I just wasn't sure how easy it is to access or if it is an option.