The Falklands and South Georgia - Fall 2017

ReturnCruiser

For those considering a visit to the Falklands and South Georgia, I've posted a few blog entries and photos from my Poseidon Expeditions trip. Our 2015 visit to Antarctica did not include these two areas and we are pleased to have found Poseidon's expedition to the Falklands and South Georgia. The wildlife and scenery we observed was a great addition to our Antarctica experience.

Bob

• 11 months later...

Quark Expeditions added this itinerary for 2018, not sure about 2019. National Geographic has this itinerary in March and October 2019. It is more costly than my Poseidon Expeditions trip. I suspect that many travelers like to bundle a just few days in South Georgia and the Falklands with Antarctica. If there is bad weather in this area, you could miss the opportunity for zodiac landings and/or zodiac cruising and sail past South Georgia and the Falklands. With a dedicated itinerary, you are more likely to make several landings in this area. That said, there are never any guarantees as weather can turn quickly. Safety is always a priority.

Bob 

Edited by ReturnCruiser
Additional information.

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2018 at 6:07 PM, ReturnCruiser said:

Quark Expeditions added this itinerary for 2018, not sure about 2019. National Geographic has this itinerary in March and October 2019. It is more costly than my Poseidon Expeditions trip. I suspect that many travelers like to bundle a just few days in South Georgia and the Falklands with Antarctica. If there is bad weather in this area, you could miss the opportunity for zodiac landings and/or zodiac cruising and sail past South Georgia and the Falklands. With a dedicated itinerary, you are more likely to make several landings in this area. That said, there are never any guarantees as weather can turn quickly. Safety is always a priority.

Bob 

I did the 21 day Falklands and S Georgia in Nov/Dec 2018.  It was a wonderful trip.  However I do not think that they are doing it in 2019 as we had on 89 people on a 130 passenger ship.  Contact Quark to find out.

DON

• 9 months later...

I would think there would be demand for that trip, to those who have already done the Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctica cruise.  It just needs more publicity, plus word of mouth, to reach a wider audience. Like most former passengers to that unique region, I want to go back.  On my cruise with Hurtigruten on Fram, there was a lady who had been twice in one year!