Alotau, PNG Beach Day?

diane.in.ny

I thought our stop here could be a beach day but haven't been able to any information regarding beaches close to town.

I'm thinking about taking a taxi to one of the beachfront hotels and spending the day at the beach there.

Does anyone have any experience/comments about this?

Thanks!

I thought our stop here could be a beach day but haven't been able to any information regarding beaches close to town.

I'm thinking about taking a taxi to one of the beachfront hotels and spending the day at the beach there.

Does anyone have any experience/comments about this?

Thanks!

I can't recall seeing anything that looked like a beach around Alotau. It seemed to be mostly mangroves, mudflats and rocky outcrops.

The town itself is very third world and not particularly interesting. If you want to get in the water, the only thing I can suggest is to try to find a snorkeling tour such as these guys, https://www.loihai.com

I can't recall seeing anything that looked like a beach around Alotau. It seemed to be mostly mangroves, mudflats and rocky outcrops.

The town itself is very third world and not particularly interesting. If you want to get in the water, the only thing I can suggest is to try to find a snorkeling tour such as these guys, https://www.loihai.com

Thank you!

There aren't any beaches here. However, Alotau has a fantastic market, a vibrant waterfront and a war memorial which looks like a monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Take care with your personal security and obey these instructions -

4885081032_1992519151_z.jpgAlotau, Papua New Guinea by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

Thanks for the warning :D