Queen Mary 2 Leaving NYC

CynthiaRI

We are about to embark on our roundtrip TA cruise aboard the QM2. How close to the Verrazano bridge does the smokestack pass? We have the early seating for dinner, and are planning to skip the dinner to observe everything there is to see as we leave NYC. (We figure we have another 13 nights for dinner!) What have others done? With a group of 7, I feel badly that we're missing the first dinner, but don't want to miss the views. I am thinking I will stop by the dining room to let them know, so no one is waiting for us. What recommendations/suggestions do you have? Thanks!

We are about to embark on our roundtrip TA cruise aboard the QM2. How close to the Verrazano bridge does the smokestack pass?

I think at a 'higher high tide' [full or new moon] the stack clears the bridge by about 10 feet or so. It looks more like inches than feet.

We have the early seating for dinner, and are planning to skip the dinner to observe everything there is to see as we leave NYC. (We figure we have another 13 nights for dinner!) What have others done? With a group of 7, I feel badly that we're missing the first dinner, but don't want to miss the views. I am thinking I will stop by the dining room to let them know, so no one is waiting for us. What recommendations/suggestions do you have? Thanks!

You will want to tell the folks in Britannia [ Maitre'd desk is just inside the deck 2 center doors] that you likely will not be dining there that night (also use the opportunity to see just where your table is located). You may be able to get a reservation at the (extra cost) specialty restaurant, instead of just the regular Kings Court buffet.

We usually select late dining so this is not an issue - but if the ship is underway at 5, you probably will be leaving lower New York Bay by 6:30 or so [Coney Island 'Parachute Drop' tower visible to port] so you might be able to get back to your table.

What I usually do is go in at the start of dinner to let them know not to wait for me, get an entree in Kings Court, and join my table after we clear the bridge for coffee and desert.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
What I usually do is go in at the start of dinner to let them know not to wait for me, get an entree in Kings Court, and join my table after we clear the bridge for coffee and desert.

Roy

Great idea! I think our plan is the same. I will inform them we won't be at the table. With a party of 7, I'm not sure if we will even have others at our table. Then we'll join them the next night. Thanks!

These photos aren't great but they might give you some idea of how close the stack gets to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

P1010957.jpg.8d9bdeec5b2bd007a1892797a61df653.jpg

P1010961.jpg.51bdf10646fd895a8e6984d1a53016b3.jpg

P1010963.thumb.jpg.7b3328f19520af542f364d61307e7697.jpg

P1010964.jpg.1abeee6f44b0d821e1a98ebf003bf1f4.jpg

Edited by rm3
Spelling

These photos aren't great but they might give you some idea of how close the stack gets to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

Wonderful photos! I can't wait to have some of my own! Less than 6 weeks! Now to figure out a safe place to view the QM2 arriving in NYC early Friday morning!

rm3 THKS Loved your photos ! Brings back lovely memories of a few T/A on the QM2.

Never could understand why anyone would NOT be out on deck watching / enjoying it all ~~~~~~~but I hear frequent comments on here... "" don't want to be late to dinner"....... ahhhh wellll.... to each his own. !

Since it’s not a formal night, it’s not a problem. I’m ready to go apart from changing into a skirt. We always pass under the bridge and still make first sitting easily. First time we were in the middle of dinner when my husband said we’d turned around - then came the Captain’s announcement to say some poor soul was so ill we were heading back to rendezvous with the Jersey coastguard. We’d finished eating and were back up top to view proceedings. That evening we passed under the bridge 3 times. Later that night the Captain let us know that all had gone well and that the sick pax was doing well. I still think about him now. Certainly high drama he could’ve done without!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

rm3 THKS Loved your photos ! Brings back lovely memories of a few T/A on the QM2.

Never could understand why anyone would NOT be out on deck watching / enjoying it all ~~~~~~~but I hear frequent comments on here... "" don't want to be late to dinner"....... ahhhh wellll.... to each his own. !

This was the reason many were disappointed for the December sailing with the delayed departure for the film premiere. We went out at midnight and by 1am she had still not left. Will just have to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She’s had helicopters buzzing around her. Must be doing a photo shoot of some kind?

Yes, they were I was on this sail away. Cunard booked the helicopter for their next brochure. I hope it shows us all waving like idiots. I think this is why we also sailed right up close and past the Statue of Liberty. Amazing sail away. The captain also added it was a special treat as we were the 301'st sailing out of New York

Here is my video sailing under Verrazano bridge, you really do not want to miss sailing underneath it. The time was about 6.30pm and you might sail under it a bit earlier than this as we did a big loop passed the Statue of Liberty first which apparently is not the norm.

That's exactly my thought! I plan to stop by the dining room and let them know we won't be there. I can't imagine showing up to dinner 30 minutes late. I just think that's rude. Because when I'm there, I certainly won't be happy to wait 30 minutes for someone else before my table orders. A casual dinner the first night will definitely be better as a way to wind down from the excitement of the day!

Here is my video sailing under Verrazano bridge, you really do not want to miss sailing underneath it. The time was about 6.30pm and you might sail under it a bit earlier than this as we did a big loop passed the Statue of Liberty first which apparently is not the norm.

Amazing!! Thanks for posting!! 4 1/2 more weeks to go! And we leave for NYC 4 weeks from tomorrow. I think that means it's officially time to start packing! :-)