Icy Strait Point - What To Do?

TM

We're doing an Alaska cruise in July on Princess which stops at Icy Strait Point. The ship excursions are extremely highly priced. What is there to do at this port on our own? We've done whale watching a couple of times before so not looking at that as an option and we're also not interested in anything involving a small plane or helicopter.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by TM

We enjoyed ISP since it was not the typical tourist port with bars, jewelry and t-shirt shops. Whale watching, bear excursions and the zip line are the primary activities. If none of those interest you, there are some nice trails near the pier and a restored cannery with some shops.

The town of Hoonah is nearby via a shuttle or a fairly easy walk. It gives an interesting perspective of a typical small Alaskan town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The restored cannery is like a mini-museum and is interesting. Also, the shops seem to be operated by local people and offer items that I didn't see elsewhere in Alaska.

There is a Cultural Show/Performance put on by the local people that probably can be purchased on your own. I found it to be quite interesting. I don't recall its exact name, but maybe a Google search for Icy Strait Point would help you find it.

Whale watching is the top thing to do in ISP IMHO. As a photographer, I grabbed more bubble-feeding events in two hours than I have experienced in years in Auke Bay (Juneau). Still processing whale pictures from my cruise that disembarked last week,

Hoonah is the only inside passage port that has land based brown bear searches. There are a few vendors who offer this. I do NOT recommend the ship tour, since it's a fixed location. In my opinion it's essential to be on the move.

On one of our Alaska cruises, when we visited Icy Strait Point we took the ship's combo tour where you go on a whale watch plus a bear watch. We were happily rewarded on both segments. You might enjoy seeing pictures my wife took for her website at the link below.

Radiance of the Seas Southbound Alaska Cruise

Cruising is a great way to travel!

We booked a private tour for whale watching and had an amazing trip. Small boat just our family of 5 and the driver. We saw so many whales pretty close as well as bears walking on the shore. Was in 2010 and can't recall the name of the company but found him from Cruise Critic recommendations.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We did awesome ZipRider but I also just walked around the "port" (Icy Strait Point complex) and took pictures. No charge as long as don't eat or buy and it's in a very scenic area. Fresh mini-donuts in many flavors sold at Salvation Army kiosk were great; husband liked reindeer sausage at one of the restaurants. Museum (old cannery). Ride to town and back $5 roundtrip from back of complex, or you could walk, although not really close. Look for whales around ship and along walk to town of Hoonah; look for eagles and whales right around ship. Very accessible port area - can ride around if want/need. We loved our day there. The Tlingit Indians own the port and they've done a great job with it. They only allow one cruise ship at a time and don't assault you with cheap stores, especially jewelry stores, like in some other ports. I'm pretty sure you can book your own excursions directly from the Tlingits in the Adventure Center - maybe or probably cheaper than booking on the ship. Town is interesting and worth a look see - totem carver, couple restaurants, ferry coming in, etc.

Hoonah is the only inside passage port that has land based brown bear searches. There are a few vendors who offer this. I do NOT recommend the ship tour, since it's a fixed location. In my opinion it's essential to be on the move.

This is what we're doing, with a vendor other than the cruise ship, for this reason. It's also affordable for the two of us.

I walked to town first thing off the ship. There is a paved walkway along the water into town, with artistically carved benches along the way. Once in town, there were several places to see carvers at work and several places there were interpretive panels. Someone had given me a town map and also I had downloaded an app that had information about Hoonah. Other visitors were going nuts about an Eagle's nest in town. I love Alaska and I like small towns so I just enjoyed walking around town looking at boats, walking through the stores, etc. There are some hilly parts of town with staircases for walkways that I found fun. I spent some time in the port area close to tendering time, when it was not crowded and read the exhibits and enjoyed them as well. They have some nice crafts, some of it very genuine and local. There is also a nature trail close to the port that is wide and surrounded by giant trees.

Shebba, can't gain acess to your blog. Any advice?

Edited by roothy123

Is the NATURE TRAIL LOOP the Same Area For Tram Tour?

Hi,

I am just beginning to research Icy Straight Point and see a Shore Excursion called "Forest and Nature Tram". I have read the posts here on CC about this excursion.

Does this Tram follow the same path where I see the Nature Trail Loop on the ISP map? For those who have walked the loop, how long does it take? Any tips or feedback are most appreciated!

THANKS!:D

Is the NATURE TRAIL LOOP the Same Area For Tram Tour?

Hi,

I am just beginning to research Icy Straight Point and see a Shore Excursion called "Forest and Nature Tram". I have read the posts here on CC about this excursion.

Does this Tram follow the same path where I see the Nature Trail Loop on the ISP map? For those who have walked the loop, how long does it take? Any tips or feedback are most appreciated!

THANKS!:D

I did this tram tour and I enjoyed it. We saw salmon jumping as we traveled along the waterway. Whether it is the same as the walking loop, I don't know. But, what I saw, I doubt it. I saw no walkers during the tour.

• 1 month later...
We enjoyed ISP since it was not the typical tourist port with bars, jewelry and t-shirt shops. Whale watching, bear excursions and the zip line are the primary activities. If none of those interest you, there are some nice trails near the pier and a restored cannery with some shops.

The town of Hoonah is nearby via a shuttle or a fairly easy walk. It gives an interesting perspective of a typical small Alaskan town.

Does the ship dock right by the cannery? Is it an easy walk to the cannery? Is the tribal center in the same proximity?

Does the ship dock right by the cannery? Is it an easy walk to the cannery? Is the tribal center in the same proximity?

Yes, the pier is next to the cannery and it’s a fairly easy walk. There are nice trails along the shore and through the forest also.

We did not go to the tribal center, but I believe it is in the actual town of Hoonah about a mile or so from the pier. Some people walk into town and they do have a shuttle into town. Someone else may be able to give more detail as to how far the tribal center is from the shuttle drop off point.

Yes, the pier is next to the cannery and it’s a fairly easy walk. There are nice trails along the shore and through the forest also.

We did not go to the tribal center, but I believe it is in the actual town of Hoonah about a mile or so from the pier. Some people walk into town and they do have a shuttle into town. Someone else may be able to give more detail as to how far the tribal center is from the shuttle drop off point.

Yes, what I think was the tribal center is in Hoonah. There were some displays and a couple Hoonah residents there to greet you. I was a little short on time and energy so I didn't do more than take a brief look and say hello. There is also a shack nearby (not really a building, I don't think, but not sure what to call it) where we found someone carving a large totem. I had read about a place where carvers work on totems for the Park Service or some other entity, but wasn't sure if that's what he was all about or not. Both these places looked to be maybe a block or less from where I THINK the town shuttle drops off. However, I walked down and back, and only saw the shuttle stopped at the point I'm thinking of, so I'm not really sure if that was the stop or not. It was basically right before you got into the part of town with the tribal center, carver, restaurant(s), etc. Here are my Icy Strait Point/Hoonah pictures: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/icy_strait_point_ak__prince_rupert_bc_canada&page=all

I think at times there are dance performances either in the town or at the port, but when we were there, the dance troupe was away on travel, so no information or performance was being promoted.

Thank you for the info.