Dress shoes for men ?

VBmermaid

No.

You could likely get away with black casual shoes if they don't look overly athletic (obvious stitching, rubber sole, laces). ...and although not technically a suit, I've suggested plain black travel trousers and jacket for extreme packers, but never sneakers. Or sandals. Or flip-flops.

...but silly velvet dress slippers with metallic stitching and crowns - of course! (with a tux)

Nobody will notice the shoes but will worry if you are not wearing a tie. I'm 6ft 2 and wear Cuban heeled boots and trust me I never get questioned. If they cant see your toes than they wont worry. (Though carpet slippers might be pushing your luck!!)

Peter

As one who just today finished packing for her first Cunard cruise and crossing, 14 days total, I can sympathize with the OP’s query. I am looking at 4 large suitcases of 50 pounds each. My husband wears size 12 extra wide shoes so his dress shoes, casual shoes, sneakers, sandals and slippers take up a considerable amount of real estate.

However, it is the Queen Mary. I am sure that the elegance of the ship, it’s passengers and the classic ambiance you may expect are all reasons you chose this sailing. As tempted as I am to reduce this luggage, I want to add to this incredible experience not detract from it. I do not think you will regret contributing as well by wearing appropriate attire. We went shoe shopping and we both found dress shoes that were actually comfortable.

It might be a bit more money and bother to transport this amount of luggage but I’ve decided it’s worth it for our first go around. If I find it’s not worth it I will stick to cruises that do not expect the level of formality Cunard does.

I feel it’s only polite to adhere to the norms of the place, be it on land or sea, that you are traveling to.

I wish you a relaxing and memorable crossing.

As one who just today finished packing for her first Cunard cruise and crossing, 14 days total, I can sympathize with the OP’s query. I am looking at 4 large suitcases of 50 pounds each. My husband wears size 12 extra wide shoes so his dress shoes, casual shoes, sneakers, sandals and slippers take up a considerable amount of real estate.

However, it is the Queen Mary. I am sure that the elegance of the ship, it’s passengers and the classic ambiance you may expect are all reasons you chose this sailing. As tempted as I am to reduce this luggage, I want to add to this incredible experience not detract from it. I do not think you will regret contributing as well by wearing appropriate attire. We went shoe shopping and we both found dress shoes that were actually comfortable.

It might be a bit more money and bother to transport this amount of luggage but I’ve decided it’s worth it for our first go around. If I find it’s not worth it I will stick to cruises that do not expect the level of formality Cunard does.

I feel it’s only polite to adhere to the norms of the place, be it on land or sea, that you are traveling to.

I wish you a relaxing and memorable crossing.

Please report your finding at the end of your trip.😉

It might be a bit more money and bother to transport this amount of luggage but I’ve decided it’s worth it for our first go around. ...

How refreshing to read that some people are willing to pay a little to be able to enjoy the formality of Cunard. We have heard so often the sad excuse for not wishing to adhere to the dress code: "I will pay (thousands of $ or £) for my crossing/cruise but I will not pay ($25 or whatever it is) to check a suitcase." Thank you for posting your mature attitude. Have a great voyage.

We are going on our first QUeen Mary transatlantic cruise. With a dark suit, are black sneakers allowed for dining ?

This may be legal, but it is very much frowned upon.

Remember: "A Gentleman is a person who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't."

That said: I usually get through a voyage with two pairs of shoes. Dress shoes and light hiking shoes.

It is possible to get through seven nights with just one dark suit. Nobody will comment on this. But then again, why not buy a white dinner jacket or a tux beforehand?

Oh, and it's not a cruise but a crossing. But this fact will be brought to your attention by the staff of Cunard LINE about three times a day.

I never notice the shoes that people wear as I am enjoying what is going on and don't spend my time staring at the floor.

Maybe when sitting down in the Commodore Club after dinner - people will notice the shoes.

The dress code examples on the Cunard website (U.S.) specifically says for Smart Evenings, “You might complete the outfit with brogues, loafers, or boots”, and for Gala, “Your choice of smart shoes will complete the look.”

Edited by Tonopah
Typos

The dress code examples on the Cunard website (U.S.) specifically says for Smart Evenings, “You might complete the outfit with brogues, loafers, or boots”, and for Gala, “Your choice of smart shoes will complete the look.”

So now my shoes have to be smart!

Isn't it enough that they have soles?

-Mark

My husband wears size 12 extra wide shoes so his dress shoes, casual shoes, sneakers, sandals and slippers take up a considerable amount of real estate. .

Well that can all be consolidated into dress shoes, casual shoes OR sneakers, and sandals OR slippers (sandals or flip flops can double as slippers in cabin as well as the pool) You've gotten rid of at least 4 lbs of luggage by not pairing a shoes with only one outfit. And ONE of what was listed above will be on his feet so you are only packing 2 pairs.