where do they dock when port is"Province"

Hawaiidan

On a cruise in May one port is listed in Province. Is that I assume Marseilles and is it convienent to get rental cars. Same Question for Pizza and Florence ? Many times the port docking is way out of town are these Med ports central or out in left field as they say ( like Rome)

Help, and advice from other experience....

It will probably be Marseille, in a very industrial port in the middle of no where. I do remember that they had stopped allowing tour operators to come up to the ship area the last time I was there. I think I've been there at least 3 times. You have to walk about 100 yards from the ship to get to where you meet tour operators.

Don't know about rental cars there, but it's probably similar. Check the ports of call section for up to date info.

As has been stated Livorno is your port for Florence/Pisa, which are both fairly easily reached by train. I wouldn't drive into Firenze though. The last time I was there I took the train to Lucca and would probably do that again. Pisa is a one time, take the tourist photo and probably never need to go again.

It will probably be Marseille, in a very industrial port in the middle of no where. I do remember that they had stopped allowing tour operators to come up to the ship area the last time I was there. I think I've been there at least 3 times. You have to walk about 100 yards from the ship to get to where you meet tour operators.

Don't know about rental cars there, but it's probably similar. Check the ports of call section for up to date info.

As has been stated Livorno is your port for Florence/Pisa, which are both fairly easily reached by train. I wouldn't drive into Firenze though. The last time I was there I took the train to Lucca and would probably do that again. Pisa is a one time, take the tourist photo and probably never need to go again.

Llivorno is also the port for touring to Siena and the Tuscan hill villages.

From Marseille, my sister took a wonderful excursion into the Luberon hills. A bus excursion. Lots of possibilities by tour or by train. Many take the train inland to Aix-en-Provence. Or see Marseille itself.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/marseille-06-28-2013.pdf

Absolutely love the Luberon. We've spent a couple of weeks in Lourmarin. You're spoilt for choice out of Marseille

Thanks all

I agree it is insanity to try to drive into Florence, I used to park at a hotel and take the train in. Plan there is to Drive south to Chainti, San Gimmigigano, Siena through the hill country Missing Florence and the throngs of pick pockets and gypsy kid gangs that roam everywhere and a forest of tourists wall to wall, Dont even dream of getting to see the museum...... unless toy hire a private guide, ( like the Vatican Museum)

Pizza is another pickpocket haven... Look at the tower on you tube, another sea or tourists.

My plan in Marseilles is to rent a car and drive via Cavaillo (A7) and see Fontaine Vacucluse, Gordes and Russillone, Village des Bories..... and steer clear of the St Remy/ Les Baux coach tour madness ( check those out)

Livorno - Florence: sometimes there is a ship's transfer only trip into Florence. You can book a museum ahead of time.

That being said, Hawaiidan's itinerary is very appealing if you plan to rent a car. San Gimignano though can be thronged with tourists, wall-to-wall in the narrow streets. (We spent a week there!) You might head directly to Chianti from Livorno, to Radda and San Gusme to Siena. Lots of options!

Frances

My plan in Marseilles is to rent a car and drive via Cavaillo (A7) and see Fontaine Vacucluse, Gordes and Russillone, Village des Bories..... and steer clear of the St Remy/ Les Baux coach tour madness ( check those out)

Interesting...I've spent a lot of time in the area and the two places that frustrate me the most to find parking is Gordes and Roussillon which is what I'm assuming you tried to type above. And do you mean Cavaillon? What day of the week are you there? Beware of market days

Edited by Cruise Junky

Interesting...I've spent a lot of time in the area and the two places that frustrate me the most to find parking is Gordes and Roussillon which is what I'm assuming you tried to type above. And do you mean Cavaillon? What day of the week are you there? Beware of market days

Just a point of reference wher one leaves the A7 for the D901 I may use the A51 as an alternative it will be a Thursday on the 9 may. Plan on driving through Gourds to swing by the ABBY on D177 and just do a lot of back country wandering. Lunch in Fountain du Valcluse. by the resurgence. a super cool place with places you can eat on the river. in the shade

I also spent time in San Gimmigiano... years ago ( Hotel Pechele) its best seen from south of town not IN town. The restraunt there is a total tourist trap....... then wander the back roads to Sienna. There are lots on nameless little villages one can wander through... sadly it will be a Saturday. Florence , visiting on a Saturday is begging for disaster. hence getting out of town. Might Opt for Carrera to the north and the mountains. Have to think where there will be less people... which is hard. that day

Yuck... Just went to the Marseilles car rental site it appears no shuttle to the gate.. a 20-30 min walk to the Gate. Thats a no go for me. Looks like if there is no shuttle to the gate one is condemned to take a ship tour or stay on board.

I will be on Riviera... do they have a shuttle to the gate??? I know in Rome port they do/

Help.

Don't want to drive and worry about parking, use this tour company: https://www.provencereservation.com/en/excursions/9-day-tours-from-marseille

We just used them 4 weeks ago from Aix, but they also start from Marseille, they only do the tours on certain days- we went on a Friday and the market day was Roussillon- no parking for a mile from the village- but dropped right outside the market with the tour van. Also used them 2 other days: for the "A day in Provence" and the Cassis tours. Some discounts through Viator.

Should have given this site - their shore excursions from Marseille port: https://www.provencereservation.com/en/excursions/9-day-tours-from-marseille

Don't want to drive and worry about parking, use this tour company: https://www.provencereservation.com/en/excursions/9-day-tours-from-marseille

We just used them 4 weeks ago from Aix, but they also start from Marseille, they only do the tours on certain days- we went on a Friday and the market day was Roussillon- no parking for a mile from the village- but dropped right outside the market with the tour van. Also used them 2 other days: for the "A day in Provence" and the Cassis tours. Some discounts through Viator.

Should have given this site - their shore excursions from Marseille port: https://www.provencereservation.com/en/excursions/9-day-tours-from-marseille

Thanks for your consideration but I avoid any and all tour companies, guides . Have spent a bit og time in Porvince and just want to drive friends around with a car. Livorno works. If there is no parking keep on driving and touring... I don't have to see anything... so I am flexible However, thank you again for the suggestion, just been on too many van and bus junkets.

It's been a couple years since we were in Provence with Oceania...but at that time, I'd planned to catch the train from Marseille to go to Avignon. I was thinking we would dock in Marseille like we had a few years earlier. Turned out we docked in a remote port location (Listed as 'Provence' in O's itinerary) which was ~45 minute bus ride to Marseille. Our plans were impossible, and our only option was to book an O tour at the last minute, or sit in an ugly deserted port.

At that time, I saw no car rental facilities, or much of anything else at that port location. Perhaps things have changed in the past couple of years, but suggest you check your docking location carefully...

It's been a couple years since we were in Provence with Oceania...but at that time, I'd planned to catch the train from Marseille to go to Avignon. I was thinking we would dock in Marseille like we had a few years earlier. Turned out we docked in a remote port location (Listed as 'Provence' in O's itinerary) which was ~45 minute bus ride to Marseille. Our plans were impossible, and our only option was to book an O tour at the last minute, or sit in an ugly deserted port.

At that time, I saw no car rental facilities, or much of anything else at that port location. Perhaps things have changed in the past couple of years, but suggest you check your docking location carefully...

I think thats the plan and it is good for O to sell Why make it easy and loose revenue . I have a lot of OBC and can take an all day to Russulon... Sad to miss Fontain Du Valcluse However have a 5 day road trip Nice to Zurich via the back mt roads and gorges ( Darius, Verdon, La Grave, Chamonix, ) so it wont be a bust-o-la ) Thanks I will rent a car in Lovorno from Stix as they deliver to the pier and I can tour the Chianit/Sienna hill country wandering around as the day unfolds. Showing a friend, I have been there prior... so know the lay of the land. And as said before I am not about to try to visit Florence and Piza in a saturday.... That is insanity

Thanks for your consideration but I avoid any and all tour companies, guides . Have spent a bit og time in Porvince and just want to drive friends around with a car. Livorno works. If there is no parking keep on driving and touring... I don't have to see anything... so I am flexible However, thank you again for the suggestion, just been on too many van and bus junkets.

Another way to conquer Marseilles is to take a taxi to the train station...rent the car there. Taxis meet the ships.

If it is a Sunday, many rental car agencies in France are closed...so you may be out of luck.

You are more daring than we are. I don’t know if I would attempt the Luberon by car on a cruise port stop. We’ve done it on a land trip without a strict timetable...but did run into traffic jams.

Another way to conquer Marseilles is to take a taxi to the train station...rent the car there. Taxis meet the ships.

If it is a Sunday, many rental car agencies in France are closed...so you may be out of luck.

You are more daring than we are. I don’t know if I would attempt the Luberon by car on a cruise port stop. We’ve done it on a land trip without a strict timetable...but did run into traffic jams.

His next and final Port is Monaco. Not too much pain if he misses the ship.

When you say "meet the ship" do you mean at the berth or at the port gate? I have read that in Marseilles it is a 20 to 30 min walk to the gate ! If I could get a taxi AT the ship to the train station that would be great, Not so great id I have to get get the taxi after a 30 min hike. If worse comes to worse I will visit Fontain Du Valcluse only 69 miles

His next and final Port is Monaco. Not too much pain if he misses the ship.

Provided that he is all packed before leaving for his trip in Marseille (especially if Monaco turns ot to be a tender port) :D

Then there is that pesky matter of finding a place to sleep if he misses the ship :D

Edited by Paulchili

When you say "meet the ship" do you mean at the berth or at the port gate? I have read that in Marseilles it is a 20 to 30 min walk to the gate ! If I could get a taxi AT the ship to the train station that would be great, Not so great id I have to get get the taxi after a 30 min hike. If worse comes to worse I will visit Fontain Du Valcluse only 69 miles

I am trying to remember...so someone else who has taken a taxi off an O ship in Marseilles please help me here. My recollection on our last trip was that we had to take a short shuttle to the taxi line. This may have been the O shuttle that goes to the Vieux Port area, but also drops people for taxis at the port first, or a separate shuttle to the taxis....I just can’t remember this detail. The first time, some years ago, on another cruise line, we walked off the ship to a taxi line.

It’s just a short taxi ride to train station.

Your other option is the free O shuttle to downtown, then a taxi or metro to the train station. That is more convoluted.

Another question are you on a O or R ship? My understanding is that small ships sometimes luck out and port downtown near Vieux Port.