Embarkation Time

CynthiaRI

As first-time Cunard cruisers, we have received our embarkation time of 3:30 pm. I have seen conversations on other threads, but how strict are these times? Our hotel check-out is 11 am. Our plan would be to stay as late as we can (hoping for a late check-out), and then having a light lunch. It's about a 30 minute drive from the hotel to the pier. Will it be a problem if we arrive a little earlier? I'm thinking 2 or so? Any advice is appreciated! We're getting VERY excited now!

Bag drop for arriving passengers should be available well before noon.

Opening the doors to security / checkin may be delayed, if there was a delay clearing the previous passengers from the ship & terminal. [we experienced waits last September both waiting for the terminal doors to open, and waiting in the Queens room to disembark. We had arrived at the terminal early after allowing for traffic delays, and there were no delays]

Getting there after lunch sounds like a good idea. You may want do do the bag drop on arrival, and if the terminal line is too long, walk [with carry on bags] to get a drink/snack/second lunch outside the gate. Google Maps shows a coffee shop and a couple of pubs two blocks outside the gate on Van Brunt street - or perhaps a round trip on the ferry that docks next to the terminal.

We always arrive at the cruise terminal early to beat the rush. The cruise lines try to stagger the arrivals. But, the check-in staff has no idea what time you are slated to arrive, so get there early and start your vacation fast.

Jonathan

2:00 arrival is probably OK. But I respectfully disagree with Cruiserking about arriving very early. On Cunard very early arrivers may have to wait a long time in the cruise terminal. In Brooklyn & Southampton, that is not a comfy place to wait, so you may be starting your experience early, but you may not be starting your vacation early.

2:00 arrival is probably OK. But I respectfully disagree with Cruiserking about arriving very early. On Cunard very early arrivers may have to wait a long time in the cruise terminal. In Brooklyn & Southampton, that is not a comfy place to wait, so you may be starting your experience early, but you may not be starting your vacation early.
We generally arrive at 10:30 am for Cunard Brooklyn departures because the check-in lines are empty.

If you're a Grills passenger or Platinum and above World Club loyalty member there is a nice lounge just to the left of the check-in lounge.

Boarding typically begins at noon. At 3:30 pm the terminal will be empty buy, it's certainly nicer to arrive earlier, get a seat and be on board enjoying the ship instead of sitting on your hands and waiting for a later arrival at the cruise terminal.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Well, to each his or her own. In Brooklyn, we prefer to have lunch on land and arrive at the terminal around 1:30 or 2:00. Lately we've been fortunate to travel in Grills, so we move through the check-in process somewhat quickly and spend as little time as possible in the terminal. For non-Grills passengers I've seen huge crowds waiting to board even at 1:30, long waits. It wasn't pretty.

I agree with rv24. I like to enjoy my morning and have a quiet, peaceful lunch, then arrive at the Brooklyn terminal about 1:30 or 2:00. No waiting, short taxi line into the terminal, no need to go to the Kings Court. Just unpack and relax.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

I know this is a LONG time away but..... I am scheduled to depart from Hamburg—7:00 PM (21 June 2019) just wondering when I would be able to board?

Anyone have any experience with this port?

Thanks!

We've boarded twice in Hamburg. The first time, in June, 2015, it was an OK Cunard experience, some delays and some chaos but we were on board approximately one hour after we arrived at the terminal. OK, but not great.

Unfortunately, and I am so sorry to have to write this, in June, 2017, it was one of the worst experiences of embarkation in the 29 cruises I have taken. Maybe it was because it was the maiden voyage after a huge rehab of the QM2 in dry dock. Anyway, horrible chaos, enormous delays, and virtually no staff from Cunard to organize the masses crowding and yelling, trying to get on board. Extremely dangerous for people with disabilities. Just plain miserable for the rest of us. A shameful experience for Cunard. So sorry to have to report this.

Oh, and both times the scheduled times we were given for check in were early in the afternoon, if that helps.

From previous cruise does anyone know up to what time Kings Court is opened for lunch on embarkation day.

Kings Court is open when passengers begin to board. It stays open late...not sure of an exact time, but we grabbed a light snack as late as 3:00.

tv24 - thank you for your reply. So sorry it was such a horrible experience for you. That’s not a great way to start a crossing. Hopefully they’ve ironed out all the problems.

We are supposedly sailing at 7:00 pm, so an late afternoon arrival (after the crowds) might just work!

On the question of boarding times.. We are completeing 3 back to back cruises with the 2 changes at Southampton. Do we have to stay around the termial or can we go into Southampton for a few hours

I would think you would have the time to visit Southampton. You’ll be changing berth and quite likely terminals. I think they take care of your luggage but you’ll probably have to check in again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums